Author Topic: Battery Ground wire  (Read 10291 times)

ADB

• Scooter
on: July 21, 2012, 06:52:55 pm
So, last night when trying to start my bike, the lights came on, fuel pump kicked in, and then when i hit the start button everything went dead. I turned the key off, tried again, and nothing...so, after a brief inspection of possible causes, I realized that some how, the ground wire to the negative terminal on my battery had somehow snapped at the point where it actually meets the wire, (see photo).
So, i was thinking easy fix; just run to the hardware store, grab a connector that will fit on the negative terminal to the battery, connect it to the ground wire, and be done with it.
But before doing that, i figured I'd check with everyone to see if:
a) am I not thinking of something that might cause a short or is there a certain gauge wire connector I should make sure to use, and;
b) has this happened to anyone else?
I'm dumbfounded how this could have happened; no pressure on the cable and there wasn't any corrosion or anything amiss i could see about the battery, battery cover, ect.
As always, any input would be greatly appreciated.
Adam.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 07:20:42 pm
Probably just broke from vibration. It could've gotten a little harmonic going and work hardened the metal.  Get the heaviest connector that will fit in the available space. Fortunately, not very common.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

ADB

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 08:58:35 pm
Thanks for the reply...problem solved, found the part i needed for a grand total of $2.45 for the pair.
Still think it's weird this happened on a bike that's 2 months old and only has 1500 miles on it, but all part of the charm.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 08:59:32 pm
It's happened to me too.  The stock cOnnectors are not very tough.

Scott

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 09:15:42 pm
The same thing happened to me.  I was about 20 miles from home , the bike started loosing power, backfiring.  I limped it to a safe place to see what was going on, it idled just fine.  I turned key off, looked over the bike.  Turned the key back on, no lights, no fuel pump.  Trailered it home and discovered the end of the battery cable was broken exactly like yours.  I went to Lowe's and got a new cable end, all is well again.  Like bare said, probably due to vibration.
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 11:13:31 pm
Little pissy things like this should be mentioned by Kevin to Royal Enfield.
No, it's not a biggie but I'm sure this sort of thing happens to a lot of owners and it usually gets fixed by a smart owner or a repair shop and nothing further comes of it.

In design engineering when we were designing a new gas turbine and jet engine  we always tried to fix the known problems but little stuff that annoys the hell out of the owners but that never gets fed back to engineering would never get fixed.  After all, "it must be working OK or we would have heard about it by now." was the common thought.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 04:16:10 am
Very true. RE must definitely look into this seriously....mine conked off on the second service. :(

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 06:45:26 am
My negative terminal also broke right at the bend in the metal......no corrosion or any other issue.......just came apart one day.  I replaced both the negative and positive terminals with heavy duty connectors like those shown in the earlier post.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 06:50:17 am
So weird...

I had a total electrical failure on my 2011 B5 with about 1.5K miles on it.  I couldn't kick start or push start.  I looked though the forum for advice and started to work through the electrical components.  My battery had 12.5 V but nothing else was getting juice.  After taking off the headlight, jiggling and looking for worn wires, taking the hex nut off the ignition and making sure all was connected, testing each fuse for continuity, checking each relay, and disconnecting the kickstand safety switch, I was still stuck.  Each time I tried to find electricity, even one step past the battery, I was getting nothing.

Then I looked at the cable again.  My positive lead connector had snapped, same as ADB.  The battery cable was connected to the battery by the cap cover, making it look like all was OK on first glance.

I just figured it out today, picked up a cable connecter from my local bike shop, and reassembled everything I took apart.  Works fine now.  I was going to post and let everyone know about this flaw, but it seems that I'm not the only one who's had to suffer through this.

Definitely seems like a design flaw.  I had to spend 3 hours drinking beers with homeless people and watching guys go in and out of an adult bookstore while I waited for my tow. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 02:09:17 am by shamelin »

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 06:52:46 am
So which book did you get?  ;D ;)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

dynamyt

• So many bikes, so little time!!
  • Scooter
  • I'd rather ride in thunder storms than go to work!
Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 01:41:26 pm
Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to check both of mine when I get rid of the 1980s technology battery ....
Ride Fast, Take Chances
Everywhere I go, there I am...

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 03:49:23 pm
Must be a bad batch of cable..I had both cables off when I installed that Gel battery last year, it required cable rerouting due to the polarity switch and the year before  when I cleaned up the ground connection behind the battery box with a dremel..Now that I think of it, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to just replace it with new wire anyway..GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 08:24:23 pm
So which book did you get?  ;D ;)

It was a double feature video... Easy Rider and The Wild One.  Naturally.  ;)

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 05:39:31 am
Thanks for the reply...problem solved, found the part i needed for a grand total of $2.45 for the pair.
Still think it's weird this happened on a bike that's 2 months old and only has 1500 miles on it, but all part of the charm.

Warranty.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 06:40:45 pm
Guys, read your warranty carefully.

There is a line, "Warranty is not applicable for the following parts:" Bullet 4 "Electrical items like bulbs, WIRING HARNESS, switches, battery, fuses, electric start motors, etc"
That etcetera can cover (or not) a lot of expensive bits!

The great warranty we would seem to have actually has a lot of big holes in it.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com