Author Topic: militarys  (Read 2769 times)

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
on: May 15, 2008, 10:28:24 am
The militarys' are they just painted over the original finish or are they prepped to be covered in olive drab? Or, Are they all prepped a basic base color and then sprayed? I hope they go the extra mile on the militaries and sand everthing down before it is painted so the paint might actually stick and not peel off when it gets hot.

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
  • Use Small Words - I'm an Engineer
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 12:36:48 pm
Well, I can tell you the paint on the frame and body peices 'sticks' on pretty good, like any other paint color, but the engine...........not so much. Any nuts, bolts, or parts that come on and off on a regular basis tend to suffer from paint flaking off, especially the fasteners. Its not really that big a deal. It stills looks cool. Think of it as a worn in appearance  :P
2007 Military 500ES. 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe

bobblehead76

• rider in north carolina
  • Scooter
  • 08 Military
Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 12:53:53 pm
They didn't sand the motors at all . i got 545 miles on mine and bugs knock the paint off
it , but i don't mind it just shows it gets used. and my oil cap has no paint on it. I check my oil often and wore it off allready.
Bobblehead76

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 03:20:11 pm
The sheet metal is prepared for paint just like any bike, however the rims and engine are basically sprayed over much like what would have been done back in the day
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

geoffbaker

Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 03:05:54 pm
It doesn't really matter much, anyway. Olive Drab Cammmo Paint is $5 a spray can at Ace Hardware :)

jeep44

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 07:30:54 pm
I have several WW2 BSA M20 military motorcycles. When they came off the BSA line,everything was painted a flat olive drab,except the engine. The castings were not polished,however-just rough and dull. After they had been in service a while,they got repainted many times. One of my bikes came to me straight out of gov't service-every bit of it was painted british bronze green-even the carb! The whole bike looked like it had been painted with a mop,too.
Bulletist and Uraleer! 

2007 Classic Deluxe
1997 Ural Tourist
bunch of other Brit. and US bikes

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 06:59:21 am
The military just isn't thinking about fashoin when they maintain those bikes are they? Just slap it on. As long as it is covered. Guess they have bigger fish to fry. Thanks for answering my questions everyone. Just curious.