Author Topic: Service manuals.  (Read 13050 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 06:27:27 pm
My Snidal manual is HTML and JPG, 221 pages.

And back to the  Enfield Shop manual, the electrical schematics are so low res as to be totally useless
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 07:49:01 pm
Is the CD manual in PDF format?  How many pages is it?

Just from your suggestion, I changed mine into a PDF file. I need to reattach the links in it, as it has no TOC, but it will make it much easier to use.
Sorry, not for sale, Pete doesn't like that! And I can understand his attitude.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 03:21:56 am
Not looking for someone to sell me a copy, nor to give me one - we make some of our meager living as musicians, and I think it's bad karma to copy stuff like that. ;)

What I *was* thinking about was, if it's a PDF then it's easy for me to buy the data disc, isolate chapters or sections I want ready garage reference to, and have them printed out at a Staples or other copy place.  Don't have to print out the whole book, and it's cheaper than using my printer ink...

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 08:02:07 am
Neither DVDs, nor especially CDs, hold what could take up "scads" of information on most recent computers, but you average older laptop hard drive might be nearly filled to capacity.

You're assuming there's nothing else on my hard drive, maybe?

Is the CD manual in PDF format?  How many pages is it?

It's a mix of 238 HTML pages, .jpg images, .txt files, and assorted other cross-referenced bits., just under 18Mb.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 08:03:49 am
if it's a PDF then it's easy for me to buy the data disc, isolate chapters or sections I want ready garage reference to, and have them printed out at a Staples or other copy place.

That's how I use the HTML pages...
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 12:25:32 pm
You're assuming there's nothing else on my hard drive, maybe?

It's a mix of 238 HTML pages, .jpg images, .txt files, and assorted other cross-referenced bits., just under 18Mb.

On the contrary; if you're anything like me, you've got a tremendous amount of stuff on your hard drive, a lot of it extraneous junk that doesn't need to be there!  I've got a few-years-old laptop with a 250 GB hard drive, small to average by today's standards, and Snidel would take up 7.2 one-hundred-thousandths of it. ;)

In fact, if it is only 18MB, I wonder how it could have anything in the way of useful images at all!  Text takes hardly any space, but 18MB is only 6 decent resolution photos from my digital camera, or 4 songs of average bit-rate on my iPod.  Oh well.

I didn't know that those "copy stores" could print HTML documents - I'll be looking into that.  Thanks!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 06:14:04 pm
You can do all your describing on on Pete's cd. It's pretty easy to navigate, but the setup is a bit weird. You don't need to go out of the house for anything and you can print anything you need. I just did the PDF because I could.
His disc will do all you need.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 07:35:25 pm
Pete specifically made the new version HTML only instead of PDF to simplify things.  It's got advantages and disadvantages.  I bought the manual but it's more of a super user manual than a shop manual.  I didn't get much out of it.

I have the factory shop manual.  While it has its errors and omissions it's usually enough to get me what I need to know.  Then again, I've been working on everything I own for 30 years so I'm not a novice.  I guess I know a good deal of what they assume and so it works for me.

There are also the training disks from NField Gear.  Not sure if they're CD or DVD but it's our very own Scooter Bob on video going through lots of procedures for you to watch.  This is generally used by shops as the authoritative reference.  My mechanic really liked these, very good stuff if you're really serious about tearing into things.  Probably better than all the manuals out there together.

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/technical-training-package.html

Scott

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 08:21:19 pm
Pete specifically made the new version HTML only instead of PDF to simplify things.  It's got advantages and disadvantages.  I bought the manual but it's more of a super user manual than a shop manual.  I didn't get much out of it.

I have the factory shop manual.  While it has its errors and omissions it's usually enough to get me what I need to know.  Then again, I've been working on everything I own for 30 years so I'm not a novice.  I guess I know a good deal of what they assume and so it works for me.

There are also the training disks from NField Gear.  Not sure if they're CD or DVD but it's our very own Scooter Bob on video going through lots of procedures for you to watch.  This is generally used by shops as the authoritative reference.  My mechanic really liked these, very good stuff if you're really serious about tearing into things.  Probably better than all the manuals out there together.

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/technical-training-package.html

Scott
Thanks for the DVD info Scottie, it seems like that would be a definite visual help for novices and experienced folks alike.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011