Author Topic: So i did an oil change on my 2012 C-5  (Read 3858 times)

rav

• Scooter
on: July 16, 2012, 07:18:45 pm
Got the oil filters and gaskets from Nfield gear and also looked at the Youtube video by Singh (thanks a lot!!). There were quit a few differences though from the video and the gaskets I got. The oil filter housing on mine is held by 3 bolts and the cap and the spring are bolted on by an Allen bolt. The paper gaskets that came in the kit were of no use. The cap also does not have the smallest O-ring at all. The housing has a long O-ring which the kit did not come with (had to reuse the existing one). The only O-rings i used from the Nfield gear parts were the ones that go before and after the oil filter.
Wanted to know what you guys did with yours. I may have to place an order now for the large O-ring on the filter housing.

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 08:00:07 pm
The o-rings are reusable until they crack or break. I don't know what the deal is with the nfield gear kits and gaskets as they can't seem to get it straight which o-rings and gaskets go in which kits. To be fair there's been running changes so there's a few variations to keep straight. Guys have had good luck with finding o-rings at hardware stores and ordering from mcmaster-carr.

dick_deck

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 08:36:26 pm
Yeah, I noticed the extra gaskets too. I think the oil filter kit is made to cover several different models.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 11:18:23 pm
Rav,
No issues here. The 5 pack kit has extra o-rings etc. to cover the G5 and C5. Your bike has a preassembled spring in the cap and is much easier to handle. You don't need the tiny o-ring or paper gaskets. I would get a spare o-ring for the filter cover, but you are fine reusing the old one.

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

rav

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 11:40:32 pm
Thanks, that makes sense!!

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 12:01:35 am
Br. Rav, you´ve got the upgraded filter cap version with 3 bolts, the old cap had only 2 and was used on the old G5s, like mine.
Unfortunately I had the wrong gaskets when I did the fist oil changes, just like you, and so the old ones were reused. I guess the new cap with 3 bolts is tighter, but after the second change the gaskets blew on my filter cap. I had just driven onto the Autobahn and was going 110 km/h when it happened. Immediately there was a smokescreen of epic dimensions, as the oil dripps on the exaust pipe and silencer. I made it barely home - crosscountry  ;D
The main oil pressure is hold back by the o-ring, the paper gasket is not able to hold tight without it. However, even if you´ve got an additional bolt be carefull with reusing this o-ring. To fit into the groove it has to be pushed over a sharp edge and may get damaged, so I recommend taking a new one each time.
Simply order 5 of them from N-field or Hitchcock, whatever continent you´re living on. And speaking of ordering gaskets, just order 2 of all other paper seals and o-rings aswell. These are penny goods and then you have ´em ready if it´s necessary. Best regards
Maturin
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Ayers Garage

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 02:10:44 am
NField is dead wrong on the parts they put into the kits. The verbiage on their website says it includes "ALL" the o-rings needed. They even capitalize the ALL on the description...

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/maintenance-repair/engine/oil-change-kit-g-and-c5.html

My dealer complains that the kits he gets include the wrong o-rings. My kit included the wrong o-rings and apparently your kit included the wrong o-rings. I personally contacted Kevin about this issue but he has apparently not resolved the problem.

I'm not gonna soft pedal it here, when your description emphasizes that ALL of the proper o-rings are included, it better include the ones for the filter cover. You pay 60 dollars for a kit that includes only part of the necessary o-rings. You can buy 4 of the filters from India for 12 bucks delivered on eBay and source the right o-rings from a decent bearing and seal supplier for a few bucks more and be way ahead of the game.

I'm sure this rant has been offensive to some, but I won't stand for poor service.
Royal Enfield. Speed limits aren't a restriction to me, they're a goal !

rav

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 02:12:52 am
Will contact them tomorrow to see if they can ship the correct O-rings, especially since i paid for them  >:(

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 02:43:32 am
The smallest I-ring goes on the cap.  Remove the Allen bolt and the spring and plate come off.  The plate is actually two plates and the small I-ring goes between them.

Scott

rav

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 03:11:39 am
too late now but will remember to do it next time.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 03:32:45 am
Save the o-ring in case your next kit is short ;)

rav

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 03:07:30 pm
Spoke to Tim at Nfield gear and he said he will ship the correct O-rings out today.

mja

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 04:21:04 am
Rav,

Thanks for posting this - your story is identical to mine.   I just did the 300 mile service on my 2011 c5, and found there was no oil filter cap o-ring in the nfield gear kit.  Time for me to make a phone call.  Thanks for everyone's replies!

-m

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 06:28:27 am
You guys really need to be careful with the O rings when you remove or install the parts on your bikes.

If the O ring is undamaged there is absolutely NO reason for replacing it.  It is good for many, many removals and re-installations as long as it is not cut or damaged by some sort of cleaning fluid.
I have changed the oil on my RE 6 times and the original O ring on the bottom drain plug and the one in the filter cover are doing just fine.
I expect it to last thru at least 4 more changes before changing it.

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ayers Garage

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 11:32:04 am
You guys really need to be careful with the O rings when you remove or install the parts on your bikes.

If the O ring is undamaged there is absolutely NO reason for replacing it.  It is good for many, many removals and re-installations as long as it is not cut or damaged by some sort of cleaning fluid.
I have changed the oil on my RE 6 times and the original O ring on the bottom drain plug and the one in the filter cover are doing just fine.
I expect it to last thru at least 4 more changes before changing it.

The point is, the website says it includes "ALL" of the needed o-rings, which they do not. Yes, you may be able to reuse the old one for many years without leaks, but I paid my money for new ones and didn't get them. I don't care if it's a stick of gum. If you offer to sell it to me and take my money and don't deliver I'm going to be mad and will take my business elsewhere from that point forward. I told Kevin months ago that both me and my dealer were not getting the o-ring for the filter cover plate in our kits. He said he'd look into it, and here we are months later and folks are still having the issue.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 08:38:55 pm
I don't disagree with you.
When you buy something you should get exactly what was offered, complete in every detail.

My point was that some people seem to think their O-rings need to be replaced every time they are exposed and that is not true.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ayers Garage

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 08:53:07 pm
I don't disagree with you.
When you buy something you should get exactly what was offered, complete in every detail.

My point was that some people seem to think their O-rings need to be replaced every time they are exposed and that is not true.

You bet, I don't argue the o-ring deal at all. I guess I was belaboring the kit contents issue a bit extra.

Sorry if I'm on a soapbox, but as long as folks keep dishing money out to Kevin and don't expect prompt and proper service in exchange, nothing will ever improve.