Author Topic: upswept pipes  (Read 2252 times)

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
on: May 15, 2008, 08:13:56 am
I have asked a bunch of questions about the upswept exhaust and I wish I could stop but I haven't got all the answers yet. Lets give a final try, shall we? Can the rear foot pegs be adjusted so that they are still usable or are you going lose the ability to carry a passenger? Are there different angles of upsweep available? If so, what clears what? If I do get an upswept exhaust and I park next to any of my friends, will I be liable for their impotency?

Adrian

Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 12:59:13 pm
Jon,

pardon me for using Electra examples (applies to classic versions also!), but have a look at this picture of Bill Harris' Electra scrambler from the Gallery, it looks like he has added a 10 degree bend between the the downpipe and muffler but has still managed to keep the rear foot pegs.

20 degree bends are also available, and the resulting line of the muffler following the frame rail looks nice, but forget about a passenger.

Not sure how to answer that last question...

Regards,

A.

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 07:13:26 am
Bill sent me an e-mail a while back and he says the foot pegs had to be relocated if i  recall. The pictures seem to show that if the pegs clear it is just barely. I like a little wiggle room in any changes I make. So i just do not. know.
   That 20 degree bend is wicked! Imagine all the noise if you are standing behind it! I dislike obnoxious pipes but the punk in me is filled with glee looking at that bad boy and imagining the possibilities.... That setup would definitely make my cafe clone short stroke japanese bike friends impotent.
    That less severe upsweep is intriguing. You kinda' get the look, the pegs are usable, and that little "downsweep?" exhaust tip is cool too. It rains enough here that I have wondered about water getting in an upswept and rusting out.