Author Topic: Poor man's halogen/light upgrade [V2.0]  (Read 1901 times)

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
on: July 16, 2012, 10:13:33 am
Hey gangstas!

I love the stock headlight and the amount of area it illuminated. Anyhow, browsing through the Hitchcock's product list, I got tempted by the Neolite upgrade with the Philips H4 cityvision 12V 60/55W bulb, which is apparently 40% brighter than the stock one. Combined with the Neolite glass, it's supposed to disperse light even further than the stock light.

I tested it out tonight and I think I wasn't overly impressed. It's about the same on low beam and a bit less on the high beam as compared to the stock Minda glass and lamp. I have attached a few pictures. Sorry I didn't get the 'light' pictures of the stock light. But here's the new one:

As shown in the second last pic, it's not white light but more like the above comparison pic, rainbowy. I still think the stock is more stronger (Covers a greater and wider distance)  ::) Oh well, I'll stick to this one for now. Probably I'm just confused.

edit - Actually, the light IS brighter, but covers about the same distance. I was under the wrong impression. Anyways, I must admit that it's a sleek unit and I do like it now.  :D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 12:50:17 pm by JVS »
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 12:56:09 pm
It's pretty nice! I did some research and figured that even a Halogen 130/110 was not sufficient at times. They are good but not the best. There is a cheaper alternate option and that is a combo of 65w Headlight + 2 LED Fog Lamps.

I think we can even use a Relay to get  a 90w primary headlight. Also a Hella Sealed beam unit with P45T Base or is it P43? Sorry a bit confused. It's the one which has 3 clips in the "Base" part.

90W is pretty decent and during night trips you can use the LED Fog lamps. I found a lot of those Fog Lamps which are ranged from 10~18watts and they are way better than the 130w Headlights! I also found few boat lights and flood lights.. can be used as Fog Lamps as they have both 30 degree beam focus version and also 60 degree ones. Ther's only one problem with it.. not a problem actually! The thing is .. these fog lamps are all made in China.. Not sure about the quality but comon! Even Dell pcs are made in China these days :P

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 04:29:46 pm
Those pics show a 7" headlight.  Is that what came on your bike?  Here in the US we get a crappy 5 3/4" headlight as stock.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 05:32:11 pm
You can get the 7" conversion kit headlight rings from Nfield gear and put a $13.00 car headlight in it that works quite well. I had one in my bike for awhile, but went back to the Tribar because I like the looks of it better. The Sylvania actually was a brighter light.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 01:39:57 am
Yep, being in Aus, we get the stock 7'' Minda head light. Yellow direct light and pretty effective too  :-\
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 02:44:43 am
Ah!  Should've guessed you weren't in the States :)