Author Topic: 2012 C5 - need some clarification please  (Read 4014 times)

Boots

• Scooter
on: July 16, 2012, 12:58:54 am
Hello,

I am starting to dig the C5 but I am very confused about the new 2012 c5 in the US, particularly in Cali.

Does the US bike have the new (2012) front end configuration with the axle directly under the front forks? Was this done for added stability at speed?

Does the US bike now come with a 19" front tire?
Was this also done for added stability at speed?

What's this I hear about a twin spark, two plug configuration?  Wouldn't that boost efficiency?

It seems like these enhancements are great boons for safety and performance, so why would that only be available on some bikes and not all?

There is a lot of different images on the web and of purse a lot if conflicting information as well. I thought I'd ask here and go straight to the source. 

Thanks for any input.
Boots
Boots

2012 Royal Enfield B5 ~ The Raven ~
Ya, I know it's slow. But I've always been a little slow. (budump bump!)

bluesdaddy2

• Grease Monkey
  • aka Ross
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 01:10:40 am
Hello,

I am starting to dig the C5 but I am very confused about the new 2012 c5 in the US, particularly in Cali.

Does the US bike have the new (2012) front end configuration with the axle directly under the front forks? Was this done for added stability at speed?

What's this I hear about a twin spark, two plug configuration?  Wouldn't that boost efficiency?

It seems like these enhancements are great boons for safety and performance, so why would that only be available on some bikes and not all?

There is a lot of different images on the web and of purse a lot if conflicting information as well. I thought I'd ask here and go straight to the source. 

Thanks for any input.
Boots

Some of your questions are answered here, I think.......
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,13128.0.html
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome/Black
1938 Harley-Davidson Model U (patiently waiting some TLC)
1975 HD Sportster (Gone but not forgotten)

Vergennes, VT
Ilion, NY

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 01:17:23 am
Hello,

yes and yes

some (but not all) old style C5's had a disturbing tenedency to wobble at freeway speeds above 70 mph

Of course the downside is the bike is less nimble, the steering is not as quick and responsive at slow speeds, the new C5 now handles more or less like a G5 or B5, stable but not as fun.

Not for the C5 as far as I know. I had the impression the twin spark bikes were Electra's based on the old dry sump iron barrel design.

Generally with RE model changes are made "as necessary" rather than at the end of a model year. Hence there is often a range of choices at any time with some older machines still in stock. There are, for example, new C5s being sold that are missing a kick-start.

In the case of the new front end it does seem only the C5 "Special" currently has that feature. Presumably the choice is available because, if you are not  actually going to be doing freeway speeds, you may actually prefer the  older 18" front old school C5. The older design is apparently more fun to throw around at low speed and looks more "Royal Enfield".

Thanks for any input.
Boots

There have been over the past 10 years a lot of different models. There was an iron barrel military for example before the new UCE engined C5 military. In addition Enfield owners tend to customise there machines. You are probably better off going to a dealer and looking at an actual current C5.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 02:35:37 am
All the new C-5s I've seen have the new forks and 19" wheel. There is old stock left on dealer floors, but I doubt that you can specifically order. If this were the automobile business, these would be known as 2012-1/2s.
Yes, the new wheel is to increase the rake, and consequently, the stability.
It's been a few years since the twin spark and it seems to my like those were all 350s.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Boots

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 02:54:48 am
Thanks for all the input. I ask these inane questions because when I seek answers on the Net, there are conflicting sources.

In addition, I live in San Jose, CA and the two closest dealers, Santa Cruz and San Francisco, do not have bikes do me to look at or test.

Theres a great dealership about four hours away in Fresno, but Im afraid to buy a bike there in 100+ temps and then ride it all the way home up over a major mountain pass.  They WANT my business but the two local shops seem a little indifferent.

In fact, in SF the salesman told me I'd have to order the bike sight unseen as they simply don't stock it. What gives with that?

So, I do my research here and remain thankful for all the input and straight talk I can get.

Boots

Boots

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 03:54:23 am
There is a twin spark system on the Machismo model, only sold in India.  It can help boost performance when using low quality gasoline but doesnt have much of an effect otherwise.

Scott

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 04:21:01 am
Hi Boots, there is an awesome dealer in Fresno, Ca, it's BMW of Fresno. Speak with Al Madril, really awesome and Knowelegable. tell him Mark from Stockton, CA sent you. ( I just bought a C5 2 weeks Ago).
Cheers,
Mark
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 04:33:48 am
Ho-ray! Another Bulleteer near me!  I live in Santa Cruz.  Borrow a friends truck or rent a uhaul for the day and drive to Fresno to pick up your bike.  In a rental truck you can be there in three hours.  The mountains and heat are no problem on a new Enfield but it's not good to drive the freeway at constant speeds during the first few hundred miles.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 05:38:41 am
I sure agree with that. :)
The break in recommends keeping the top speed below 40 mph for the first 300 miles and below 50 for the next 300.

Renting a truck to haul it home in would be a much better idea in my opinion.

Another opinion of mine is a dealer that won't even have a bike on hand for customers to look at doesn't have his heart in selling them.  I would wonder about his attitude in supporting them after he's sold one.

The Twin Spark is used on the 350cc Machismo and the 350cc Thunderbird.  Both are available in India. 
The Machismo looks quite a bit like the single seat C series bikes and the Thunderbird looks like a USA cruiser bike.

Like Scotty said, the twin spark helps the owners in India with their crappy fuel but it wouldn't make much difference in the US.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 08:29:58 am
I agree about the truck. I would also talk to Al about any delivery that they can offer. ( I am not sure they can but never hurts to ask).
They are a first class dealer and have tremendous customer service ratings. Ask for Al or Tanner. Matt is the owner and is another first class guy.

I agree about the truck. I would also talk to Al about any delivery that they can offer. ( I am not sure they can but never hurts to ask).
They are a first class dealer and have tremendous customer service ratings. Ask for Al or Tanner. Matt is the owner and is another first class guy.

As for the Twinspark it is strictly an India only thing and is pure marketing. Some sources who with to remain anonymous will even tell you that it can degrade performance slightly.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 08:35:54 am by Kevin Mahoney »
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 04:05:22 pm
i'm up in sebastopol and drove out to fresno to get my c5 military. monroe motors did not have a demo bike and suggested i rent one from a place in sf. i have not been to the dealer in santa cruz. you are welcome to drop by and i'll let you take jane for a ride. mine is the older 2012 and i have not experienced the wobble others talk about. i did have a 2009 bonneville and noticed that if i put my feet on the passengers pegs it had a wobble, it had 17" wheels.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 04:22:31 pm
I have not seen the new C5 special yet. I've done about 500 miles on my 2011 C5 on highways and have not had wobble problems at those speeds but I don't take it up to 70mph. As mentioned numerous times on this forum, these bikes were never designed to be highway cruisers so keep in mind that no matter which version of RE you get the real enjoyment are those slower back roads, with curves is a plus, and so using the highway should be only to get to one of these or a quicker way home after a long day of driving. Have fun, these bikes are a trip no matter what!
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 04:23:21 pm
A lot of people have not had good things to say about Munroe. They have been in business for a long time and carry many many bikes. I wonder why they treat their RE customers the way they do.

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 04:34:17 pm
Hi Guys, in a previous post, going to Fresno and using a truck would be your best bet, Al is awesome. ( I used my GMC sierra to pick up my Bike).
I am fairly new to this forum and I have owned my C5 Classic (Black) for 2 weeks now. It seems like we have quite a decent amount of local Bullet owners, I was wondering if it would be possible to form a small group and do stuff together as well as go riding? I am from Stockton.
Cheers,
Mark F
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Boots

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 06:03:41 pm
Hello again, About the dealer situation...

I actually have spoken at length with Al from Fresno BMW and he has been great, very knowledgable, passionate about Royal Enfield and motivated to sell. They have models to look at an compare on their floor. Al has even offered to deliver a bike, buttheres more tonthe transaction than just a purchase. What complicates the situation is the great distance, lack of a truck and the fact I am trading in my Triumph.

I didn't want to publicly "call out" Monroe
motors in SF, but it seems that others here have had similar response, or lack thereof.  What bothers me is that I am a customer of theirs, having bought my Triumph Scrambler there only two years ago.  I spoke with two different salesmen and they blew me off as if the RE brand was not worth their time. They didn't have a model for me to look at or test drive, nor we're they in the least bit interested in acquiring one. I also got the advice that I should go and rent a bike from a SF rental shop ($100+) to test drive it.  That is just plain BAD customer service.  I won't be going back.

The dealership in SAnta Cruz is very nice and trying to acquire a bike for me at this time, but doesn't seem to have the pull to get one in a reasonable time, maybe in another week or so but nothing firm. Its crazy because here i am ready to pull the trigger, and no one local has anything.  Meanwhile my summer is slipping away (I'm a teacher).

I remain steadfast however and do not want to give up on getti my own Royal Enfield.

Boots

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 08:57:03 pm
I suspect part of the problem the dealer in Santa Cruz is having getting a bike is because it would be a California model.

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, the California models are exactly the same as the other 48 State models except they have a sealed screw on gas cap, a tank vent, a charcoal canister and the hoses to connect it to the tank and to the engine throttle body.
No other changes are present.

I mention this because I've owned some California vehicles that had a lot of other funky things that caused performance problems.  The California Royal Enfields run as strong as the other 48 State ones do.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 05:11:33 am
Back in 2010, the C5 had no kicker, the G5 did. The outer engine side covers had different as well. Different style of markings.
2011 same, same. The LATE 2011 C5, the kicker began to appear.
I understood the 2009(?) C5 had the kicker but it was removed for aesthetic reasons.
The kicker came back at the request of customers.
Too funny.
2012 C5's starting appearing with the front axle not leading type.
Then the 19" front wheel specials arrived.
Each change has improved them.
Even our HD master tech admitted that the last 2 bikes he assembled and test road were better overall than previous C5's.
With my oversize body on board, no C5 i ever road wobbled or weaved on the freeway. A few normal size riders do report the weave.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 05:45:23 am
Its also worth pointing out that the reported weave seems, by all accounts, to be more disconcerting rather than actually dangerous.

There do not seem to be any examples where it actually caused an accident.

I have NOT, for example, come across any reports of the weave developing into a tank-slapper of the type that regularly threw Z1 900 Kawasaki riders down the road back in the '70s.

bman734

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 12:03:46 pm
This bike is wobbly at highway speeds when there is a blustering cross or head wind, buy what bike isn't right? And because it's a relatively light bike, it doesn't seem that stable at highway speeds. I think that the lack of a windshield and because of this, the force of a 65mph wind make it have an unstable feel to it. That being said, does any one know of a shield that would fit a C5 that doesn't look too obnoxious? Just a small one would do the trick of directing all that wind flow over the top of the helmet.
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 01:28:18 pm
Make no mistake, the C-5/G-5 and related kin are light..PLUS the fact the tires aren't the meatiest things...narrow tire equals less friction..so expect a little twitchyness.. if you can't stand the nervousness you bought the wrong bike!

bman734

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 02:58:53 pm
This bike has it's purpose, that's for sure. I sometimes wish I had another bike for the highway as many of the rides that my club goes on use a lot of highways or I would need to get on a lengthy ride on a highway to get to the start of one of their rides. This does hamper me somewhat but in the long run, I bought a bike, at this time of my life, to take relaxing rides on the back roads and local parks that are near me. For that purpose this bike is perfect.
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: July 17, 2012, 08:00:14 pm
I sometimes wish I had another bike for the highway as many of the rides that my club goes on use a lot of highways or I would need to get on a lengthy ride on a highway to get to the start of one of their rides.

You just need to hook up a vintage English Motorcycle Club. They don't ride any faster than you do on the highways!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com