Author Topic: OIL! BLACK GOLD! TEXAS TEA!  (Read 2804 times)

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
on: May 15, 2008, 07:55:22 am
Just wondering as i peruse the old posts.., Why all the debate about what lubricant to run? Synthetics are better over a wider range of conditions but with bikes like ours I do not think any of us are going to notice a performance difference. I could notice a difference in my Firebird when I switched all the lubricant in the entire drivetrain to REDLINE but by that time I could have told you that i had gained 20 pounds from  the feel of my 'bird. Course that 20lb weight gain came from the stress of spending 150$ on oil! Not worth it unless you are truly competitive or if you really, really care about your'e ride. I am gonna cut ti short here or we are gonna go into the wasn't great in the old days crap and I swore 20 years ago I wouldn't do that so I guess I gotta wait until the stupid 17 year olds aren't around.. My first ride was a '68 400 FIREBIRD, way way too much car for this moron, and I proved it too. Still think about that car every day, MY FIRST LOVE.
     Anyhow, plenty of literature describing the right lube for our bikes. Use it! Mna I am the most performance hugry cat out there but come on! What we will gain from lube in a simple bike like ours? 1/8th HP? Long times of good biking are what we are looking for. A couple of good quotes to live by. "nothing better than riding a slow bike fast" and an new one i just heard " ride like you own it" I really think that says it all... Ride it any hell way you want too but remember who pays the bills$$$$$$$$$$

Roger

Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 11:18:56 am
I too have been following the oil debate and like politics and religion it can get fiery... I run diesel oil in my 05 Classic, I was running Harley oil however I changed to Fuchs 15w40 Universal Diesel Oil as it the stuff I put in my Mazda pickup. I also put 25ml of molybond in the engine oil and 15ml in the transmission. Whether you love or hate the stuff I find it has greatly improved the general running of my bike and will continue to use it.

Roger

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 11:30:33 am
interesting. I do not know if this true but I have heard that any temporary gains from the molybdenum disulfide, which is slipperier than goose shit on a frozen pond, are wiped out in the long term by the fact that it gets caught in the filter and actually impedes circulation. I do not know if this is true but I believe it is the most current info. I do not want to rain on you parade but if it true I hope I steer you away from expensive damage.

Roger

Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 11:58:54 am
I have heard of the stuff clogging oil filters however the oil filter in the Bullet is, in my view, more of a glouified oil stainer then an oil filter. I have run moly in the engine and transmission for nealy 1000 miles without any sign of distress. I have changed the oil and filter about 200 miles ago; the filter showed no signs of being clogged with anything. The filter was black when I removed it but  turned a pale grey once all the oil had drained out of it (See attached photos) The filter containing Moly is the one on the left, the other is without moly in the system.

Roger

[old attachment deleted by admin]

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 07:20:56 am
Good point about the filter's porosity. Perhaps it is not effective enough to remove that small of particle. In that case, oil that is blended with moly is very intriguing.
 That is a great RE emblem. Have never seen anything like it. Love it.

Roger

Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 05:15:57 am
There is a bit of a story surrounding the RE emblem. Back in the early 70s I lived in the  small southeast Queensland (Australia) town of Murgon. At the time there were a lot of English motorcycles to had for little or no money because everyone was going for the Japanese stuff, me included. At the time there was a brand new Norton Commando in the window of a bike shop in a neighbouring town for $1450. Honda 750/4s were a similar price, everyone bought Honda 4s or 650 Yamahas.   

I came across the RE tank badge amongst a heap of  bike parts that were at a friends place, I liked it so I kept it. It hung on a nail in my garage for many years and now I have a RE Classic. I have not seen this tank badge on any RE bikes and am not sure what model it came off. Perhaps my owning a RE was destiny.

Roger