Author Topic: Clutch cable adjustment  (Read 4889 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 05:16:35 pm
Compare the two cables once the original is out.  See if the length of exposed cable is the same.

Scott

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 12:33:14 am
I don't understand what that little rubber piece is for that fits on the inner cable between the leaver and the outer cable. It just moves around in there and seems to serve no purpose!! Mine's getting all chewed up. I tried to get my cable off today to lube it but couldn't get enough slack in it to get it free, not sure what's up with that.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 12:35:34 am
It should sort of click on to the ferrule at that end of the cable.  Then it keeps grit and wet from getting into the cable housing because it hugs the inner cable.  If it's really chewed up you may not be able to get it to seat properly any more.

Likewise, the other end should mate to the threaded adjuster piece and keeps gunk out of that end.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #18 on: September 15, 2012, 12:48:34 am
I don't understand what that little rubber piece is for that fits on the inner cable between the leaver and the outer cable. It just moves around in there and seems to serve no purpose!! Mine's getting all chewed up. I tried to get my cable off today to lube it but couldn't get enough slack in it to get it free, not sure what's up with that.

Squire - I found the little rubber boot at the handlebar end adrift as well.  I stuck it back over the end of the cable housing.  It seems to be happy there, for the moment!

If you rotate the clutch arm at the engine cover, you will introduce enough slack to get the cable free.  I found that if I pulled the clutch lever to move the arm, I could just hold it in place, but then I couldn't remove the cable end with only one hand!  Try Arizoni's trick:

To try this out I would get my 8" adjustable wrench and open the jaws so they straddle the arm on clutch lever on the side cover.
Turning it slightly counterclockwise will rotate the lever and allow me to slip the enlarged end of the cable out of the sheet metal clip on the lever.
Once the cable end is free of the clip, I would release the wrenches pressure allowing the lever to return to its normal position.

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: September 15, 2012, 01:34:37 am
Okay, thanks for the replies, makes sense now.