Author Topic: Pilot light goes out?  (Read 5775 times)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 03:42:16 pm
I cleaned up the main chassis ground behind the battery case last year with my dremel, cleaned the bulb sockets with electrical contact cleaner and put a dab of weatherproofing gel around the outside of the actual bulb (not the contact points) ..I just have the OEM bulbs and head light..I haven't lost any of the original bulbs yet (knock on wood for a 06)..I did purchase the entire replacement bulb kit over the winter as a resource when the need arises. I like the idea of the LED bulbs for their low current draw but I'm satisfied with durability of the existing bulbs too..If you find that your losing a light bulb of any type, you have a problem that needs attention..GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 03:43:50 pm
My right pilot light went out just last week. I purchased a 1445 incandescent light from Advanced Auto Parts. $5 for a pack of two. My problem when trying to install was first getting the old bulb out of its socket. I finally got it out with  some pliers. My next problem was with getting them to stay locked in upon installing the new one. It just will not remain twisted in completely and I don't want to use pliers in fear of crushing the bulb as the bulb is the only thing to hang on to. finally got it as much as I could with my fingers and hoped for the best. So far so good after a couple of rides. Any suggestions on how to seat it more firmly without breaking the bulb?
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 04:00:25 pm
Those I never tackled but someone had written that they were a bugger to get out and then getting them back in place and secured was another issue..You would think a fine needle nose plier and a twist and direct pull out would be the way to go but its a Enfield..I haven't had to replace mine so maybe someone has a better idea on the subject.GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

bman734

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 04:05:05 pm
Yes, getting it out was a problem but I could see it was burnt out so didn't care if I broke it. Now I do care with a new bulb so any "bright" ideas out there would be appreciated.
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 05:23:47 pm
Use some tight fitting vinyl hose as a tool to install the bulb.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

bman734

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 11:53:59 am
Great idea Gremlin, I'll give it a shot.
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #21 on: July 17, 2012, 03:46:37 pm
I put in LEDS, after the left one burnt out a few thousand miles later one of the guys at work comes up to me. 

"Hey man, looks like your left light is burnt out."

"Cool, thanks."

"What are those light for anyway?"

"Oh, them,  they burn out."

"No I asked what they are for..."

"Ya, they are there to burn out.."

"Oh."

The left light is still out and the right still lit. On my 95 the left screw was so corroded in it sheared off when I tried to remove it.  Now its missing an eyeball.

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

BrashRooster

• Bulleteer
  • Yeah I stepped in it.
Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 02:10:34 am
The problem is almost always a bad ground. LED's stock? That's heresy

:o did I show my age? We had electricity when I was growing up. So why doesn't the running lights use carbide lanterns instead?

;D  Ok yeah I guess I get what you mean about not having stock LED and it is a good thing even if the blasted things never make if home lit from my dealership, well the left one more then the right.  I do like the LED lights I installed and they are very noticeable if not correct.  Hey I want to brighten up my speedo can the light be replaced with the same type as the running lights and indicator lights (brights, neutral, turn signal)? I have issues at night with amber or yellow goggles seeing the needle.
Signature

Jamesriot

• Four wheels move your Body, Two wheels move your Soul
  • Scooter
Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 07:18:06 am
I put in LEDS, after the left one burnt out a few thousand miles later one of the guys at work comes up to me. 

"Hey man, looks like your left light is burnt out."

"Cool, thanks."

"What are those light for anyway?"

"Oh, them,  they burn out."

"No I asked what they are for..."

"Ya, they are there to burn out.."

"Oh."

The left light is still out and the right still lit. On my 95 the left screw was so corroded in it sheared off when I tried to remove it.  Now its missing an eyeball.

*sorry this is old post, but I need to dig it ;)
Hahahaha...cool joke bro! Thanks for sharing 
RE Black Chrome 500 EFI
Modenas Elit 150
HD Sportster 883
Modenas Elit Sport 150
Kawasaki Vulcan VN800
MZ Moskito 125
Suzuki TXR 150
Honda cup c70

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 06:11:49 pm
#53 automotive bulb is a cheap durable replacement (ask me how i know).
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 06:25:24 pm
I got the socket to of the hole when I replaced mine with LEDs. I think I pushed them out the front. Anyway I was looking at the sockets when I swapped the bulbs. They were a bit tight, but at least I could see what I was doing.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com