Author Topic: Engine cover gasket or Permatex?  (Read 2422 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
on: July 13, 2012, 10:43:09 pm
I'm about to do my 10k service but they large gasket for the right side engine cover is back ordered.  I've seen it mentioned here that you can use Permatex in its place, just be careful not to plug the oil galleys.  Any reports from people who've used Permatex instead of the gasket?  How does it perform?  What flavor did you use?

Thanks,
Scott

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 12:36:09 am
Many miles ago I went through the same thing . No right side gaskets and I wanted to put on a 19 tooth sprocket on my G5. I bought PERMATEX MOTO SEAL ultimate gasket maker and it worked like a champ. No leaks whatsoever and only 7 bucks a tube. It only takes a little bit. Since then I've used it for the oil filter cover because of the lousy gasket seal I was getting. The tube will last for many applications. The GREY color blends right in with cases.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 12:38:16 am by Jack Leis »
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 12:51:31 am
Thanks.  I saw there were four versions that looked good: Ultra Black, Ultra Copper, Moto, and Right Stuff.  Black is most oil resistant, Copper goes a little hotter, Right Stuff you can torque and go with no waiting, and Moto was specifically designed for split aluminum cases.

I like the Right Stuff torque and go (instead of waiting an our or two before final torque) but it seems to only come in pressurized cans which means probably more than I want coming out.  The Moto seems nice but I bet I'd have to special order it around here.  So probably going with Black if I can't find Moto.

On your oil filter cover, is it hard to remove when you do the job again next time?  Don't want the side covers all gooed up if I have to take them off again for things.

Scott

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 01:03:33 am
Naw, the spring in the cap assembly pushes the cover off with the screws removed. I use a plastic credit card to scrape the old stuff off and then on with the new. I prefer the GREY because thats exactly what it's made for . Bare prefers the BLACK. I use a popcicle stick split down the middle to put it on. Try to avoid using your fingers and picking your nose.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 01:22:25 am
Scott,
Several options here. Hitchcocks has these in stock but shipping obviously takes longer. I have temporarily reused the old gasket when I was swapping sprockets and applied a bit of grease to both sides and had a perfect leak free fit. Any of these gasketmakers will be fine, but I would likely pick black.

As far as the oil filter cover is concerned, why would you use Permatex?  Just seems like extra work each time for an otherwise 2 minute job.....apologies if I missed out on the reasoning.

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 01:51:58 am
.........  Don't want the side covers all gooed up if I have to take them off again for things.

then, avoid the "right stuff".

The "right stuff" is fab, especially for engine covers & oil pans ....  However, it sets up less rubbery, and, crumbles when you try to remove it.  more like automotive tire adhesive compound in a can (or tube).
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
  • Your only as old as you feel
Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 01:58:21 am
Scotty,
 I used the black oil resistant with very good results. I used a very thin line, and followed the instructions: hand tight, let sit for a few hours, then torque. I now have a gasket in place, but that's only because it came with my parts from Hitchcocks. As for the gasket, the grease trick mentioned above will let you reuse the paper gasket multiple times.
'11 C5 Military

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 02:13:07 am
Not sure about the type of gasket you are looking at on UCE engine. If it is a thick paper style RE gasket, I have had zero leaks reusing these on my primary cover and rocker covers.
The trick is to cover the gasket with general purpose grease, and carefully bolt up ( or torque) .
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 03:53:32 am
I'm about to do my 10k service but they large gasket for the right side engine cover is back ordered. 

10K service at 10,000 miles - that is an insult to the 'Made Like a Gun' Bullet  ;) !

Seriously, the bike will be fine even if you wait to do the 'service' at 15K miles or stretch it to 20K miles. The parts are very sturdy and they do not show signs of wear for many many miles more than the recommended 10K. 
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 04:38:35 am
I am talking about the paper gaskets.  I don't want to order all the way from England but if they give me the C5 oil filter cover prong with every oil change kit I just might start.  The one in there is on its third or fourth change and is tarring to grow too large to fit.   Hoping I can reuse the original but if I can't I don't want the bike stuck in the garage for weeks while I wait for parts, so it's good to have options.

Scott

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 06:42:39 am

1)Try to use grease and the old papaer gasket (unless this defies commom  sense).This also makes for an easier no stick removal next time.
2) Have tube of Permtex...RTV , what ever, ready for a back up to a bad paper gasket.
3) Go ahead and order the gasket so you will have ready for next time.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 05:19:36 pm
Yup, that's the plan :)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 08:53:49 am
Very few RE UCE engine use that gasket. Most of them use a gasket sealer. If you have one you can eliminate it and use sealer or use grease, sealer or whatever to rehab the gasket.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com