Author Topic: Surprised at plug in B5  (Read 2675 times)

.577 Snider

• Scooter
on: July 13, 2012, 07:05:08 am
I've been following the thread about the spark plug choice for a C5. And it got me curious about what is in my 2011 B5, so I pulled it out tonight to check the condition. I was expecting a Bosch WR7 from reading the other posts. Surprised, it is an NGK B5ES. The bike was purchased from a dealer, new in April 2012.
Now at 1040 miles. The center post is a grey to tan color but sooty around the outside. Bike seems to run ok, no unusual idle surges but an occasional decelaration exhaust pop. Is this plug in the correct heat range? Leave it or change to a different plug?

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 07:11:56 am
Looks cold to me .....   Now, maybe if you lived in a hot, arid environment ....
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 07:58:49 am
Looks cold to me .....   Now, maybe if you lived in a hot, arid environment ....

Actually the B6ES is what most people recommend. The B5ES is a grader hotter than most use.

As for the carbon, Enfields seem to do that, providing its not fouling the plug I would be looking at the insulator color and ignoring the carbon.

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 08:56:30 am
Your plug seems good to me! I have the 6ES in my B5. It looks normal/average for me aswell. Carbon on the outside is usual in UCE REs

http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/pages/technical/sparkplug-fault.htm
http://www.4secondsflat.com/Spark_plug_reading.html
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/plugs.html

Others will know better about your plug though. (Don't trust me! haha)

Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 03:39:28 pm
Looks a little lean to me too but if the bike is running well and you get the occasional pop on decel  which seems to be a common item..I wouldn't worry about it and just enjoy the miles ahead..GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 03:42:43 pm
So, all of you are running non-resistor plugs in your bikes?
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 04:48:01 pm
The plug recommended on this forum is BPR6ES. I guess the R stands for resistor on the plug. Coming to your plug, I think it looks nice to me from the colour of insulator tip, the carbon on the rim indicates slow speed commuting and should disappear on a long ride............ having said that you may try the above plug and see how the bike runs, and may be put photos after 200 kms ride !!

.577 Snider

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 08:03:01 pm
Bradley, you called it right. Interesting how you could read that plug. I commute to work  through some city traffic and often catch the red lights. About 20 miles round trip each day. I will try a highway trip soon and check again. Then switch to a BPR6ES and see what the difference is.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 08:47:50 pm
IMO, the 5 seems to be working nicely with the type of riding you do.
On an extended trip at higher, non-stop speeds the 6 (being one step cooler) might be a better choice.  You might want to buy a BPR6ES just to have on hand.

As long as you stick to a regular spark plug rather than a iridium or platinum plug they are fairly cheap to buy and having a spare on hand may come in handy some day.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 10:44:33 pm
I do lots of commuting and no matter what plug I have it looks just like that: great at the electrode with carbon around the edge.  Normal and nothing to worry about.

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 04:09:03 am
I've been following the thread about the spark plug choice for a C5. And it got me curious about what is in my 2011 B5, so I pulled it out tonight to check the condition. I was expecting a Bosch WR7 from reading the other posts. Surprised, it is an NGK B5ES. The bike was purchased from a dealer, new in April 2012.

The spark plugs for UCE bikes have been discussed, tested and written about several times in great lengths. 

NGK 5ES has two aspects that are not in harmony with the OEM Bosch spark plugs.  First, it is non-projected (Bosch is) and secondly 5 is a tad too hot. 

How did it get there ?  The very likely reason is that dealer put it there.  Why this plug ? The older iron barrel (older REs) had non-projected spark plugs so he picked the same feature.  Why 5 heat range ? In the very very early days of UCE introduction in US, it was assumed that the Bosch OEM plug was equivalent to that. 

The bike will run on all kinds of plugs in heat range of 5 to 8.  It will also keep running whether projected or non-projected plug is used. It will also run whether it has resistance or not.  You may not see their effects in a short time but in the long run they can affect the longevity of engine, and other performance.

The closest to OEM in all aspects including heat range, depth of spark in chamber and  resistance is NGK BPR6ES.  The link below has a comparison of different types of plugs.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,10553.0/all.html

« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 03:13:44 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 02:48:34 pm
I found this the other day and I thought it might help someone..The pics were  visually detailed regarding cold and hot plugs.

http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/resources/spark-plug-visual-gauge/

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 05:43:22 pm
I found this the other day and I thought it might help someone..The pics were  visually detailed regarding cold and hot plugs.

http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/resources/spark-plug-visual-gauge/

Very nice range of pics.  Bookmarking that for sure ;)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 05:46:24 pm
What caught my eye was the"Bare" "ass"... 8).It is a good site..