Author Topic: first maintenance and cleaning my bike...  (Read 3497 times)

snowkid03

• Scooter
on: July 11, 2012, 09:09:54 pm
hey guys- 400 miles in and IN LOVE with my G5.  I have only found 1 loose screw (a headlight one) and haven't had any problems with my bike not kicking into gear.  It rides better every day...

Now for my questions:
1- I am going and getting my first oil change/service... how much should it cost?  i was told about $200 give or take $20 (Yikes- there goes the extra cash I saved for a Shoei Helmet.)  Any tips for service or things I should make sure they check?  They are going to let me watch so I can learn some stuff on my own...  I think because it is my first service i should surely go to the RE dealer down in my area instead of going to another reputable shop just because of warranty things?

2- I know a lot of you guys like your bikes with dirt on them, but I like mine clean and shiny- any recommendations for something to clean my engine casing?  I live on the ocean (well 1/2 a block away) and store my bike outside with a cover on it, but my aluminum looks like an old shower curtain.

Thanks as always  ;D
-kelli

Fogrunner

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 10:23:19 pm
They'll probably change oil and air filters and check the nuts and bolts for tightness. May check clutch adjustment and electrical functions as well. If you got any kind of wobble, have them check the spokes.
Phil
2012 G5 Classic

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 10:48:36 pm
The aluminum cases are completely uncoated.  Living only 1/2 a block from the ocean they are going to oxidize fast!  If it gets too far they will pit and you'll never be able to get them back to what they were.

I'd recommend a Mother's branch polish and drill mounted polisher.  They make a few types: ball, mini-ball, and cone.  Pick whichever one you think will work best.  Polish up your aluminum until it's nice and shiney then wipe it down with kerosene or diesel fuel.  These are both just very light oils and should provide some protection for the bare aluminum.  Whenever you see it going dull again, polish and wipe down again.

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 10:52:49 pm
I would be greatly surprised if the bill came to $200 but I suppose its a good idea to go in thinking the worst and then find that it costs less.

Buying synthetic Mobil-1 V-Twin oil plus the oil filter should cost around $30.
The time needed to change the oil and filter and clean the two magnetic plugs might be 30 minutes if the mechanic is mainly sitting on his butt talking to you.  It takes me about 15 minutes and I take my time when doing it.

This first service also requires checking and adjusting the spark plug, cleaning the air filter, adjusting the throttle cable, cleaning the battery connectors, lubing the rear brake pedal pivot, and looking over the hoses, chain and spoke tightness.
IMO, a good mechanic should be able to easily do all of this in less than one hour.

As the mechanic is going to remove the spark plug anyway, if you haven't changed it from the original Bosch plug this is a good time to do it.
Buy a NGK BPR6ES plug at your local  auto supply.  They cost about $3.  Take it with you and tell your mechanic to install it.  You'll be amazed at how much better your bike runs.

I suggest that you watch everything closely so you can do these things yourself.  The money you save will go a long way towards buying the tools you will need and once you have them you can pocket whatever future costs you would have had to pay.
Besides, I think it's a good idea to get to know how to fix things so if they ever need it your prepared.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:55:57 pm by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 01:00:09 am
ACF50

best anti-corrosion around

and gives your bike that authentic old british "oily" look :D

meganuke

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 01:25:29 am
Welcome aboard!
Cromwell, CT
SaddleSore 1000 completed on a C5

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 01:40:44 am
Hey guise, what the crap is this. Don't you get the first few services free from the dealer? My first service was free.  ??? And yes, they did it properly too, lol.

Poor america! Australia for the win yo.  ;D
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 03:29:11 am
My first service was not free. I had to purchase my own oil, WD-40( I use for cleaning my bike), filter.

The labour was free because I do all my servicing, ...I even did my own prep and set up from the create.

These motorcycles are engineered for the owner to tinker with. Just like the good ole days.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 03:33:07 am
Yep, I understand, but for me, I wanted to get the first service done by the proper RE guys - they have been doing it for a long while. Also, at that time I had no idea how to tinker with stuff (first motorcycle/being 20yo). But now I do, slowly slowly learning more from all of you peeps here.  ;D

edit - Still 20 and don't know many things. As said before, I shall keep learning. I love playing around with the bike. Little things here and there. All worth it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 03:43:57 am by JVS »
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 07:38:34 am
First service in the UK is free. Well it always used to be!

I used live by the sea. After 6 months everything was looking dull and corroded. And that was a Yamaha.

How's it going Snowkid. I've wondering how you've been getting on. If you want to keep her looking good you'll certainly have to clean and polish frequently. I can't recommend anything as we have different brands over here. In the UK Autoglym products are very highly thought of. Not that I use anything at all!
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 09:56:26 am
I can't recommend anything as we have different brands over here. In the UK Autoglym products are very highly thought of. Not that I use anything at all!
I think WD-40 and ACF-50 are international. Might be other protective oils the are local and more affordable.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 02:38:52 pm
200 bucks sounded about right for my 1st service on the iron..I'm glad I did it and it paid off in dividends.   I like working on my bike but I really do miss conversing with that old school mechanic that worked at the shop . 
Oh Magoo you done it again

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 02:52:34 pm
I think WD-40 and ACF-50 are international. Might be other protective oils the are local and more affordable.

Pretty sure ACF-50 is actually a British product. There is a lot of publicity about the Brits using it on Harriers back when they used to have a carrier. However its also available in the states and here in Australia.

Seafoam on the otherhand seems to be a peculiarly American product not available anyhere else.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 06:00:14 pm
ACF50

best anti-corrosion around

and gives your bike that authentic old british "oily" look :D

+1, probably a better alternative than diesel or kerosene.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 06:12:29 pm
Hey guise, what the crap is this. Don't you get the first few services free from the dealer?

We haven't had free first services in the states for at least 30 years. The Brit bikes was probably the last of the freebies. When the Jap bikes took over the market, the prices went up!
Kelli, definitely get the bike done at an Enfield dealer. The other dealers wouldn't have a clue what they are looking at. Jeremy, at the dealer you bought from, is very good.
sorry that it's such a long ride, but on the other hand it's a nice, long ride!
As for the corrosion prevention, I use ACF50. I got my ACF50 from Aircraft Spruce in Corona. I don't know who else carries it.
WD-40 is pretty useless. It's a good parts cleaner sometimes. I got my ACF50 from Aircraft Spruce in Corona. I don't know who else carries it.
My cases are starting to look pretty grody, too. I live a lot farther from the beach tahn you do, but it looks like I'm going to need some polishing wheels, the hand jobs aren't doing it.
Bare

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

bikerboo

• Scooter
  • 2011 Classic
Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 07:19:28 pm
First service is still free in GB.As to the engine casing,find elbow grease and Autosol works,though I tend to spoil the affect by spraying AFC50 allover.At least I know it was all clean and shiny.Still crap weather here in West country.Wondering if it will ever stop raining and am slightly envious when you guys post that its too hot to ride!Despite all the water still have no rust on my bike so that afc50 is good stuff.X
Adventure before dementia

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 08:52:36 pm
I ride all through the rainy season here in Portland.  No major rust or corrosion to speak of.  I think it's the salt and de-icers that do all the damage, not the wet.

Scott

bikerboo

• Scooter
  • 2011 Classic
Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 08:04:28 pm
I agree with you there Scotty,we are nine miles from the sea and subject to tidal rain coming up the valley.As for rainy season,seems like it rains all winter,spring,summer and autumn at the moment.It is getting us all down.Even our sheep and cows are fed up.x

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 09:27:53 pm
At least, when it's raining, you can still go out into the garage and work on the bike, when it's 100 degrees out, that's no fun either.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

bikerboo

• Scooter
  • 2011 Classic
Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 10:06:39 pm
I dream of a garage!its on my Christmas wish list,and a decent set of tools in a locked toolbox so my husband can't nick 'em!!!

snowkid03

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: July 14, 2012, 01:32:10 am
wow thanks guys!  i got some mothers polish for my engine casing... i think i need a buffer thingy to make it shine, as dirt doesn't seem to be the problem (no black residue as it states)

I changed my oil change to tuesday because we have a LOT of events in downtown SD this weekend (OTL and ComiCon) and i don't want to deal with the traffic.   Bare- I don't want to drive up to San bernadino for my service and will be going to the RE dealer down in SD :(  On an upnote they are going to let me watch them do the oil change so I can do it myself next time.

Thanks everyone for your input- ive got a healthy list of things to have the shop show me/check out!

-kelli

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #21 on: July 14, 2012, 04:44:47 am
Some polish and elbow grease is probably all you need. 

Scott

dynamyt

• So many bikes, so little time!!
  • Scooter
  • I'd rather ride in thunder storms than go to work!
Reply #22 on: July 14, 2012, 01:13:02 pm
The Harley shop in my town used to sell this product called "Hog Spit", which is a metal protectant. I used it on my 74 Jawa and other stuff I had in my shop that I did not want to corrode. It worked very well. It's probably mostly WD-40 or other lubricant, but you can also buy a small can of gun oil, Slick 50 or any other synthetic lube and just wipe it over the surface after you wash the bike.
Also, be careful using strong chemicals or solvents to clean with, and use lots of water to rinse them away. Wash the surface with soap and water after. Solvents and strong cleaners can corrode aluminum and other softer alloys. The U.S. armed services have banned Simple Green from being used on any equipment because of the corrosive effects on bare metals such as aluminum. A quick Google search for chemical metal corrosion will provide a lot of reading material.
Ride Fast, Take Chances
Everywhere I go, there I am...

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: July 14, 2012, 07:58:22 pm
oops, a post not intended for this thread! Had to go elsewhere!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 08:14:46 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer