Author Topic: AVL running rich  (Read 2766 times)

ohio2006Electra

• Scooter
on: July 11, 2012, 01:24:13 am
I put on an EMGO short bottle silencer and rejetted to a 126 main and 22 pilot. Here is what is happening. The bike seems to run fine but the plug is black not the brownish color im looking for. Also when I come to a stop the bike seems to idle high. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 01:29:34 am
Did you change air filter too ?

ohio2006Electra

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 01:41:02 am
Did you change air filter too ?
no im running the stock air filter what are you think thump lol

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 02:33:39 pm
I put on an EMGO short bottle silencer and rejetted to a 126 main and 22 pilot. Here is what is happening. The bike seems to run fine but the plug is black not the brownish color im looking for. Also when I come to a stop the bike seems to idle high. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated

That seems Way too rich to me on both Pilot & Main (Stock is 15 & 110).

I've opened up my '08 AVL with a K&N air filter right on the carb & a wide open exhaust & all the emissions stuff removed & I've found (with a LOT of experimenting) that the 15 Pilot is fine & all I needed to do was experiment with needle height. My Main Jet is also still stock at 110. I'm not concerned yet with the Main Jet because I'm still on break-in.

I tried my 17.5 Pilot Jet once & it was WAY too rich & wouldn't kick start or idle right for sh*t. I put the 15 back, lowered the needle 0.002" from what it was before & it was perfect. It took a long time to find "perfect".

My Mixture Screw is right around 1 1/4 turns out & it idles like a thumping watch, never dies at stop signs & doesn't pop downshifting. Also doesn't surge just cruising under no load in 4th at 35 or 40. 
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

ohio2006Electra

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 10:21:37 pm
              That seems Way too rich to me on both Pilot & Main (Stock is 15 & 110).

I've opened up my '08 AVL with a K&N air filter right on the carb & a wide open exhaust & all the emissions stuff removed & I've found (with a LOT of experimenting) that the 15 Pilot is fine & all I needed to do was experiment with needle height. My Main Jet is also still stock at 110. I'm not concerned yet with the Main Jet because I'm still on break-in.

I tried my 17.5 Pilot Jet once & it was WAY too rich & wouldn't kick start or idle right for sh*t. I put the 15 back, lowered the needle 0.002" from what it was before & it was perfect. It took a long time to find "perfect".

My Mixture Screw is right around 1 1/4 turns out & it idles like a thumping watch, never dies at stop signs & doesn't pop downshifting. Also doesn't surge just cruising under no load in 4th at 35 or 40.
Im going to put the 15 pilot back in I think I did adjust the mixture and the idle did calm down. However its still a tad rich  how close do you think I am on jetting for a more open air filter the way she sits

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 02:21:59 pm
...... how close do you think I am on jetting for a more open air filter the way she sits

I have no way to answer that for your bike. There's a lot of info that's been passed back & forth on this forum that's very valuable to you. Read it, absorb it, go online to CV carb websites. You have to bite the bullet & experiment with your own particular engine & carb & intake & exhaust until you can do it in your sleep like I did. I knew shit about Mikuni CVs before I got this bike & I have no dealer. I think I know about as much as anybody now & I learned it all from here, from Pete's manual & from various websites.

Do Not Be Afraid. Somebody built it; you can learn it.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 04:02:34 pm
            I have no way to answer that for your bike. There's a lot of info that's been passed back & forth on this forum that's very valuable to you. Read it, absorb it, go online to CV carb websites. You have to bite the bullet & experiment with your own particular engine & carb & intake & exhaust until you can do it in your sleep like I did. I knew shit about Mikuni CVs before I got this bike & I have no dealer. I think I know about as much as anybody now & I learned it all from here, from Pete's manual & from various websites.

Do Not Be Afraid. Somebody built it; you can learn it.

+1.

Machismo

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 10:29:31 am
I got a K&N(Du500) and almost free flow exhaust(got the cat con back as the low end torque had gone down).
Main jet is 120 and pilot is 17.5.
Recently, the plug's running sooty and I checked/replaced the rubber manifold that connects the air box and air filter - was torn.
Needle's on the richest position.

So I think i stand at the same plane as yours.
Perhaps, try the stock pilot again?