Author Topic: Tires for RE/Chief?  (Read 1779 times)

gunnerasch

• Scooter
on: July 09, 2012, 03:33:00 am
Im slowly..as time and money permits..continuing to putting my Chief/bobber back together. Now Im needing tires. What should I put on it? Avon would be "proper" but frankly..they are darned pricey.  Any good oriental tires to be had that wont make this handle like a pig or be dangerous..and cost less than my first born child?

Still looking for a headlight..any headlight that will fit on the old boy.

Thanks!

Gunner

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 05:07:57 pm
What rim size does the beast run?   You can get K70s from Dennis Kirk for a decent price.   

For my Crusader, as it has 16s I had to get what is now listed as a "scooter tire", with modern slick tread, at least they come cheap.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 10:53:28 pm
If your old Chief still has the 16 inchers and you already done some checking around, you have probably noticed that there are few available for less than 100 frog skins. You might check JP cycles and look at the Chinese tires like Shinko & Kenda. At least they still have several 16" types for less than that. I can't guarantee the quality but they are about as cheep priced as you can get. Cheng Shin used to have a line of tires for the 16 inch but it looks like all they make is off road stuff now.