Author Topic: Bar-end mirror confuzzlementz  (Read 15555 times)

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
on: July 06, 2012, 08:36:48 am
Hi guys,

Just got a new pair of bar-end mirrors from the dealer today. Was a nice 100+ mile ride  ;D. When I had purchased the B5, I had installed the smaller horizontal bar-ends (as shown in picture 1) - one of them broke when I dropped the bike. Anywho, I got the new ones today (Picture 2,3). At this stage, I'm liking the new ones, but at some point I might go back to the ones I had before. What's your opinion, peeps?  :D

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Fogrunner

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 09:09:22 am
I like the new ones. Looks like they might provide a better view  as well.
Phil
2012 G5 Classic

rav

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 11:22:09 am
Agreed, the new ones seem to provide more coverage.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 12:29:32 pm
         The new ones look good to me.

What does that big "P" mean?

Do you ride a passenger a lot?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 01:30:55 pm
 :D Yeah, I'll keep the new ones on for now. They be cool. And the 'P' thing, it's the Australian licensing system.

In my state, for cars, you can get your learners license at 16 years of age after doing a computer test - same with the motorbike. Difference is, on the car, you have to complete at least 120 hours (used to be 50 and before that, not sure) of driving with a fully licenced driver which is recorded in an official log book. Then we go for the driving test with the Roads and Maritime Services (RMS, previously RTA) officer/instructor (for the car). Once we pass that, we get a 'Provisional' licence. There are two types of 'provisional' licences. First one is the Red Provisional licence (red P), which we have to keep for a further 12 months. Then we do a computer test and get a green P (after passing), and we have to keep that for a further 2 years..lol. Then after the 2 years, we give another computer test to proceed to our full licence.

With the motorbike, we get the Learner licence (L plate) after doing a two day 6 hour practice course. We get to keep that for a minimum of 3 months (max 12), and then we go for the Motorcycle Operator Skills Test (MOST). Once we pass that, we get the red Ps lol. Then it's the same as the car, green P for two years. The MOST test assesses various skills over eight test segments - here's the link for what we have to do to pass the MOST test.  http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downloads/most.pdf

Oh and I can't ride with a passenger till I get the green P for the bike. Also on red Ps, we can't exceed 90km/hr (56mph) and on greens we can't exceed 100km/hr (62mph). AND, we're not allowed to have a bike with an engine capacity greater than 660cc or equivalent power/weight ratio (on provisional licence).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:31:45 am by JVS »

Fogrunner

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 02:38:34 pm
Wow!! Complicated licensing system...glad I live in Philippines where you can legally "transfer" (read buy) your license!!  And with no restrictions on number of passengers (I've seen up to 4 on a bike) or speed, apart from the road conditions!!
Phil
2012 G5 Classic

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 03:27:25 pm
that system sounds better than what we have in the states.
our system is take a written test get a learner's permit. no passangers, no freeway, no night.
after that under 18 you have to take the msf (motorcycle safety foundation) course and pass.
the you can get whatever you like. an RE or a zx14.
for the over 18 you don't have to take the msf class but you can and that will wave the riding test or if you can ride in a straight line and make 2 turns 1 in each direction you get a license with no restrictions. then go out and get a R1. no skills on a bike that will do 150mph easy.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 04:15:49 pm
....snip...... if you can ride in a straight line and make 2 turns 1 in each direction you get a license with no restrictions. then go out and get a R1. no skills on a bike that will do 150mph easy.

True, but, we are big believers in Freedom and Darwin.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

avandr

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 04:48:34 pm
Hey JVS
Love those mirrors, did you get them from an RE dealer or other? I will look for some here in Melbourne.

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 01:45:44 am
[suspicious]Yeah, after all that, we're still not taught how to control an accidental fish-tail/skid in the wet etc But I guess, those type of things, we either learn from close-calls or use the same method if it happens in a car. Either way, no matter how comprehensive or straightforward the system is, I think it is still up to the rider himself/herself to be smart and safe out on the road.

@avandr
Thanks brother, I got them from the dealer in Wollongong. These are the MCF bar-ends. http://www.mcsonline.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=2582&category_id=204&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=126[/suspicious]

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 02:55:00 am

...And different US States may have different licensing criteria; it's an individual state's right to set their own standards. As a matter of convenience, though, all states have very similar, if not identical motor vehicle licensing criteria, as part of that "full faith and credit" clause in the US Constitution.

I've always thought there should be a tiered licensing system set up, since driving is not a "right," in the Constitutional sense, but a privledge. Hell, I know *I* can't handle a ZX-14 worth a cup of lukewarm spit; ain't no way some 16-yr-old goofball can.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 02:56:48 am
I like your newer mirrors over your old ones; I think they look a lot nicer, and I suspect they probably require you to take your eyes off the road in front of you a lot less than the old ones do, don't they?
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 04:11:27 am
Yep, spot on there. They cover a larger area and it is much easier to see what's happening behind as compared to the previous ones.  ;)

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 12:41:41 am
Thread update

Hey everyone,

After a while with the above shown bar-ends, I thought these were a bit bulky and tall-ish for my liking. I personally like the no-mirror look on these bikes, but I get so paranoid if I don't have mirrors that I might cause a crash myself twisting my neck almost 180 degrees to change lanes  :P Also, the law here states that motorcyclists should have a mirror on either side. Not to mention it is pretty obvious we should have mirrors :|

So I went on E-bay looking for sleek/shorter bar-ends and found these aluminium ones at a very cheap price (on sale) as compared to my existing ones. The above shown ones cost me 7 times the cost of these aluminium ones.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400343578224&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:AU:3160

In summary -

I really like the new ones, they might be small (approx. 2.75'' dia), but have a better reflective index and cover a lot of area at the back. I can clearly see what's happening behind  :D They virtually have a lot of movement and you can play around with them in basically any direction/position you like. They look awesome if put upside-down, but they hit my fuel tank as I've lowered my handlebar quite a bit. But they will work perfectly for many of you guys/girls.

Any opinions/suggestions/thoughts?

PS. I did need to do some drilling/filing/sawing of the aluminium ends that came with these mirrors to encompass the 8mm hex bolts.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 12:45:14 am by JVS »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 01:00:08 am
I like the older mirrors better, smaller and cleaner looking.  I had some like that.  I had to dip my left wrist for a good view but I got used to that and loved how small they were.  Both mirrors look good though so keep whatever you like.

The US has to have one of the lamest licensing systems in the developing world.  It's amazing how little you have to do to get one.  My NY state driving test consisted of maybe 10 minutes driving on neighborhood streets.  A few stop signs, a parallel park, a few turns, maybe a 3 point turn I can't remember.  I don't think I ever drove over 22MPH.  That's it, licensed to drive a car anywhere I want.  Now I had taken a long term driver's education course through my high school, but I sure didn't need it to pass that test!

Scott