Author Topic: Bar-end mirror confuzzlementz  (Read 15556 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 01:11:09 am
I like 'em.  They'd be nice to have on hand as spares for when I bust my current ones...  ;D

eggman65

• Scooter
  • REV THAT THING!
Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 06:36:30 pm
I really like those new, aluminum, ones you just got off Ebay. Think they would work on the C5 Classic after removing the stock bar end weights?
2011 Ural Tourist (sidecar rig)
2010 Royal Enfield C5 Classic
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2003 Harley Davidson 883R
2002 Yamaha Vstar Classic
1985 Honda CMX250 Rebel
1984 Honda ATC 200s
1983 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD
1980 Honda CX500 Custom
1973 Honda CB450 k6 (café racer)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 06:52:56 pm
You should try riding your bike without the bar ends first.  I don't think you'll like the vibration.

Scott

eggman65

• Scooter
  • REV THAT THING!
Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 07:47:50 pm
Mmm, very good advise to check for the vibs first!
2011 Ural Tourist (sidecar rig)
2010 Royal Enfield C5 Classic
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2003 Harley Davidson 883R
2002 Yamaha Vstar Classic
1985 Honda CMX250 Rebel
1984 Honda ATC 200s
1983 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD
1980 Honda CX500 Custom
1973 Honda CB450 k6 (café racer)

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 10:56:45 pm
Thanks for the replies, people. I'm liking the new ones.

@eggman65
These aluminium ones can't go straight in to our RE handlebars. I had to saw off the ends of either aluminium end and drill the existing holes in them to encompass the 8mm hex bolts that hold the bar-end weights. Once you get them, you'll understand what I'm talking about. It takes some time to do all that, but it's not hard at all. You'll be happy with the end-result.

Indeed these aluminium ones are quite light as compared to the previous ones. To be honest, I haven't noticed any over-the-top increase in vibration. Maybe I'm just used to this. But as Scott has mentioned, try riding without the bar-ends first. The lightweight of the newer ones will soften out some vibration, and a good thing is that they don't vibrate themselves.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

GGRider

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 03:52:53 am
I like the new aluminum mirrors too. I think they're available in the states from dime city cycles in silver or black.
2003 Iron Barrel Bullet 500- Velvet Green

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #21 on: June 20, 2014, 07:05:48 am
Well, the saga continues  :-X

I installed a new handlebar, which is a bit more swept back and taller than the stock one. It is the older iron barrel model one, completely hollow without the attachment thing for bar-end weights. The mirrors that I had lying around were modified (filed and cut), for the stock handlebar; so that those mirrors could be installed with the bolt right into where the bar-end weights used to be.

Now the new bar was hollow, so I purchased a set of generic bar-ends from E-bay. About $25 including postage. They are about 3 inch in dia and are very adjustable. Fit perfectly. Pretty good! Refer to attachments.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 07:07:55 am by JVS »

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #22 on: June 20, 2014, 03:02:11 pm
Very cool!  They look the same as the mirrors I picked up  8)

And your bike is looking SWEET!
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: June 20, 2014, 03:11:44 pm
Hey JVS, very similar to the ones i put on my B5 last night. I will do a show and tell when time permits. 8)
Roverman.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: June 20, 2014, 09:50:25 pm
In Cantafordia, all you have to do is sneak over the border!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arctictanker

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: June 21, 2014, 12:09:50 am
   I think you made a good choice with the new ones.  Are the bar end mirrors a lot better than the stock set?  Been looking for something with a little more visibility to my immediate rear. 
   As for driver/rider education I think it is a great idea.  When I got my standard license in MD I was required to take driver's ed.  To get my bike license I took the MSF course.  I agree that it is impossible to train someone for every situation.  Common causes of accidents and accident avoidance are all excellent and worth while IMHO.  Experience is the best teacher and responsible riding is your best protection next to your gear.
Northern Virginia
2014 C5 Military

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #26 on: June 21, 2014, 08:33:52 am
Hey JVS, very similar to the ones i put on my B5 last night. I will do a show and tell when time permits. 8)
Roverman.

Thanks guys! You both have sweet looking REs  ;D

I think you made a good choice with the new ones.  Are the bar end mirrors a lot better than the stock set?  Been looking for something with a little more visibility to my immediate rear. 

Hi Arctictanker.

Thanks. These mirrors are quite good and cover a lot of area, thanks to the 3inch dia. The previous aluminium ones were a bit smaller and portrayed the objects to be a bit FAR away than their actual position.

The current ones are pretty decent and have very minimalistic vibration. Other than that, if you haven't tried bar-end mirrors yet, it might take you a bit of time to get used to them. As they will not be at your shoulder height and of course they wouldn't reflect your own shoulders, like the mickey mouse mirrors do. You might have to gaze a bit downwards, but after a few days you'll get used to them very well. I recommend them.

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #27 on: June 21, 2014, 09:08:56 am
I got a pair of cheap bar ends that dont vibrate at all, unfortunatly the day I put them on a idiot decided he didnt like my left one.
So I run with one, before that I had one lollypop anyways so its not different as I dont rely on them anyways.
Works well, very discrete it looks like my bike has no mirrors at all!
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #28 on: June 21, 2014, 02:10:17 pm

I know it's off-topic, but I'm just curious. Shouldn't the shield on the Ace can cover the front half of the filter? Otherwise, what's its purpose?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #29 on: June 21, 2014, 04:01:52 pm
            I know it's off-topic, but I'm just curious. Shouldn't the shield on the Ace can cover the front half of the filter? Otherwise, what's its purpose?

I asked Tom about that and from what I recall, the shield offers protection from water being able to wet the filter.  I'm in Arizona so I figured it was safe to leave it off.  I also asked Tom if he thought riding with the shield off would decrease it's effectiveness do to turbulent air intake and he said it wouldn't matter.  I like the way it looks a bit better this way.
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av