Author Topic: Considering an Enfield  (Read 3904 times)

Pickasaurus

• Scooter
on: July 02, 2012, 02:38:06 am
I need some information from the experts who own and ride Royal Enfields.  I am 6'5" and currently ride a Triumph Thruxton.  Will I fit on a C5?  Will it be too underpowered for me after the Triumph?  How fast will it cruise for long periods?   What should I know prior to purchase?  Do RE take more wrenching? 

Thanks in advance

Pick
Sunt Nobis Dracones Interficiendi

saint45

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 02:57:16 am
Pickasaurus-
I have a G5 not a C5 but i think it will be small for you. It is definiteely underpowered compared to the thruxton! Im a big guy, and the Enfield for me, anyway, likes to stay about 65. They do take more wrenching not to mention the upgrades you may want(mirrors, chain, seat, pipe etc) figure that into your price. Find the best dealer near you! Trying to give you objective advice. Hope it helps.

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
  • Your only as old as you feel
Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 03:56:52 am
Well, I'm 6'3"/240, and I don't think my C5's too small for me. I mean, I don't look like a circus clown riding it.
'11 C5 Military

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 04:18:07 am
your thruxton has reached japaneze relialability. i have had a 2003 t100, a 2006 scrambler, a 2006 speed master, and a 2009 bonneville. the triumphs require oil changes and tires. the RE is more like a classic motorcycle that requires a little attention, but that is part of the attraction. i like the wieight of the re and the quirkyness of the bike. yes it will feel underpowered compared to the thrux and for prolonged speed it is happiest at 60mph. mine likes back roads better than the freeway.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

Pickasaurus

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 04:24:04 am
I don't mind wrenching as long as it is to maintain the bike and not because it keeps breaking down.  One of my bikes is a Ural so I am used to keeping up on frequent oil changes etc...But i was little concerned with as Hobbydad said "looking like a circus clown"  I did have a typo I am only 6'4".

Are there modifications that make the RE run well at 70-75?

Pick
Sunt Nobis Dracones Interficiendi

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 04:40:51 am
I don't mind wrenching as long as it is to maintain the bike and not because it keeps breaking down.  One of my bikes is a Ural so I am used to keeping up on frequent oil changes etc...But i was little concerned with as Hobbydad said "looking like a circus clown"  I did have a typo I am only 6'4".

Are there modifications that make the RE run well at 70-75?

Pick

Assuming you mean a UCE engined bike ... adding one tooth to the front sprocket (19T  on a C5, 18T on a G5/B5)  will probably have you cruising OK at 70 mph providing its freeway conditions and not steep mountain passes.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 05:35:48 am
Pickasaurus:

You might be interested in a comparison of the Thruxton's and a Royal Enfield's dimensions?

Length:  RE = 85", Th = 84.6"
Width:  RE = 31.4", Th = 32.7"
Seat Height:  RE = 31.4", Th = 32.3"
Wet Weight:  RE = 411 lbs, Th = 506 lbs
Fuel Economy:  RE = 70 mpg, Th = 50 mpg
Horsepower:  RE = 27, Th = 68

As you can see, there is only about 1 inch difference in size.
The Royal Enfield Bullet in the 1950's was considered to be a full size motorcycle comparable with the BSA's, Matchless and Triumph of the time.  It hasn't changed in 60 years although the horsepower of the new UCE models has increased to the point that it is similar to the 1950's BSA and Triumph 500cc twins.

Owning the Royal Enfields are like stepping back in time although I think most owners of the new UCE models will agree, the reliability has improved while some maintenance has decreased.

I have 5900 miles on my G5 after a year of ownership.  Aside from changing the chain and a few light bulbs nothing major has happened and it is very reliable.
Several of our members here have over 10,000 miles on their new UCE bikes without any major problems.

As the others have mentioned, the bike is capable of speeds over an indicated 80 mph but it is much happier at 55-60 mph where it will cruise all day long.
There is some vibration above 65 mph but quite frankly it is less than the old twins and even some of the newer multi-cylinder bikes.  At speeds of 60 mph or below I don't notice much vibration at all except in my rear view mirrors.

Try to get a test ride on the new UCE's.  If you can, ride both the C5 and the G5.
The C5 is a little faster handling and the seats will feel very different.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

saint45

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 06:13:48 am
Pick-
I did not mention that the bikes are super fun and have a certain feel all their own! If you want a city/backroads bike, I think you will enjoy it.....seems you already have great taste in bikes! add an Enfield to that stable!
If 6'4" but not real heavy, shouldne be a problem.
All-
Is there more room on the c5? I have a G5 and cant really get comfortable. Just blew a bunch of money on solo seats I hate.Im  6'2" 1/2.

meganuke

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 01:30:04 pm
I love the C5 seat because I can move forward or backward a few inches. After an hour, my butt needs a break, but another great feature is the ability to stand on the pegs and stretch.
Cromwell, CT
SaddleSore 1000 completed on a C5

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 02:16:45 pm
I need some information from the experts who own and ride Royal Enfields.  I am 6'5" and currently ride a Triumph Thruxton.  Will I fit on a C5?  Will it be too underpowered for me after the Triumph?  How fast will it cruise for long periods?   What should I know prior to purchase?  Do RE take more wrenching? 

Thanks in advance

Pick

I ride a B5,  I'm 6'8"  (no typo) and over 300 lbs.  Circus Clown ?  maybe.  However, I opted for the english style (all springs) saddle and it was easy to adjust it up a bit for my 38" inseam (also no typo).

the bike cruises 65~70 (indicated) comfortably on my 30 minute commute whilst getting 64 MPG (U.S. Gallon).  I wouldn't consider leaving the Metro with it, but, that is more a personal philosophy about the role of bikes in transportation than a critique of the Bullet.

I mean really .... who wants to spend multiple hours sitting out in the weather with a 70 MPH breeze ?   Give me a car with air-conditioning for Interstate travel ~ Please !
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 05:57:02 pm
I traded a Scrambler for the G5.
I have found that the Bullet doesn't require quite as much maintenance as the Thruxton. We don't have to adjust valves! Oil changes and chain adjustments is all there is. When it's new, you need togo over the nuts and bolts on it and make sure everything is tight. During breakin in, it shakes a bit more than after it's broken in, and things can tend to fall off! Ger some Blue Loctite and use it liberally! That'll give you a real chance to see how everything is put together. As far as cruising goes, I like to keep mine at between 60 and 65 true ground speed, mostly because the mileage starts dropping off a lot when I go faster. My riding partner (6'4" and 230) and I regularly ride 250-350 miles though the mountains of SoCal, From sea level to over 8000' elevation, using the freeways to connect them all together. We both have over 10,000 miles on the bikes with no real problems. We've never broken down out on the road. The Bullet gives more smiles/mile than any bike I've ever owned.
As a group, we tend to fiddle with a lot of things on the bikes, but nothing is mandatory. The reason for the fiddling is that everything is right at hand with nothing hard to reach. It's far easier to work on then even the Thruxton.
I found the Scrambler a PITA to work on because of the high pipes, and everything was too tight. I don't miss the Scrambler a bit. I put 17,000 miles on it in 5 years. I never likes it very well. I had to other Hinckley Triumphs before it, a 95 Speed Triple, and a 2000 Sprint RS. Those two were great bikes. They were both ridden about 50,000 miles.
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 03:39:57 am
  im only 6 foot bare, must be the new helmet makes me look taller.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 03:48:15 am
I would add that you consider a B5, G5 or a C5 "special" (19" front wheel). These will give you a little taller bike than a stock C5 with 18" wheels.

As Bare points out, the new UCE bikes require little other than regular maintenance. We as a group do fiddle too much with our bikes.....mostly because it is fun! Once you hit 2000 miles and the engine is fully broken in, all the rattles and shakes disappear. I haven't had any problems with my C5 during 2 years of ownership and incessant unnecessary tinkering!
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

trimleyman

• Bulleteer
  • 1953 or 2011.
Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 06:14:43 am
I would as others suggest a G5 for the extra seat hight provided by it's dual seat and 19" wheels. We all tend to tinker more than we need and modify more than we need, but we make our Enfields our own that way. My 2011 G5 has just over 7100 miles on it and has been overall very reliable after very minor issues were sorted early on (side stand cut off switch disconnected so it does not shut you down whilst riding). It's not a Thruxton so it won't cruse at the speeds the Triumph will, but it's a 500 single afterall. I bought mine because Ducati don't produce Desmo singles any more, but if they did... but then that would require more wrenching.
Now 2011 Royal Enfield G5 and just added 2014 Continental GT and latest 2015 Ducati 803 Scrambler Urban Enduro
Then:-
1978 Ducati 900 GTES
1969 Ducati 350 Desmo Racer
1972 Mototrans Ducati 250 24 Horas
1965 Triumph Tiger Cub 200
1967 BSA Bantum

BrashRooster

• Bulleteer
  • Yeah I stepped in it.
Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 02:15:07 am
I am only 5'8" and a 1/2 so I can't speak for being cramped.  I have only test road a Triumph Bonneville but  your not buying a Royal Enfield for speed. I have a bike for that and now I am going to sell it because of my C5 military.  I usually cruise two lane at 55-60mph though I have ran it on the interstate for a short while at 65-70mph.  I wouldn't do that for a long distance but I have rode two lane on 300+ miles in a day.  I really like the way the RE feels over any bike that I have owned or rode. The speed factor to me is not a factor at all. When I first got the a RE I was a little concerned with the top end speed and after a very short while I no longer cared what the top speed is or how many hp it has.  Royal Enfield is a good cigar or a fine wine no need to consume it in a hurry.  I have had a passenger on my C5 military and the bike could pull the two of us just fine. She had her back pack with her so the two of us and the bag weighed around 280ish the bike didn't seem to notice.  Give one a test ride.
Signature

todcp

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 02:11:25 am
I am 6'5" and 230 pounds.  34 inch inseam.  I love the bike.  Also have a 59 Triumph Tiger T100.  Very similar bikes and that is why I bought the RE.  Both are 27 horsepower.  The RE is slightly more roomy.  The RE is a classic bike without the worries about wearing out or breaking unobtainium parts.

Tod

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 03:39:36 am
Is there more room on the c5? I have a G5 and cant really get comfortable.

I believe the C5 may be just a hair larger...  It felt that way to me, when I sat on both.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 03:41:35 am
I mean really .... who wants to spend multiple hours sitting out in the weather with a 70 MPH breeze?

I've enjoyed doing it for almost three decades and half a million miles of riding.

(Okay, not all at once....)
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 03:43:07 am
If you get the C5, get the Special with the 19" front wheel. It's slightly taller.  It's a fun light weight bike, but it's still just 27 hp; so don't expect blazing speed or a mile eating monster.

Drifter

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 12:32:03 pm
 I think its way to small for a guy your size. Not near as smooth or fast as a Thrux. Looks old acts old Gremlin said it best!

Fido

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: July 14, 2012, 12:48:38 pm
Seems a good place to make my first post. I returned to motorcycling after a 50 year break. After a few months on a 125cc last summer I bought a all black Classic EFI (G5?) last October and have enjoyed every one of my 2035 miles in and around the New Forest in England. While having it serviced recently I took out a Bonneville T100. While a smoother faster ride, it has not dimmed my enthusiasm for the RE. I love the looks, ease of handling and parking - and it's little effort to keep it looking like new. As to the T100. That can wait - perhaps a 70th birthday gift to myself but I don't think I'll be parting with my Classic anytime soon.

New Forest, England.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: July 14, 2012, 03:00:21 pm
Fido: Never to late is it..Your machine looks fantastic..Good riding weather this time of year over there...GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: July 14, 2012, 03:48:38 pm
SWANKY BIKE ! Love the mirrors most..........

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #23 on: July 15, 2012, 08:01:34 am
Fido. What a place to have an RE!

We have friends who live in Brockenhurst, but I've yet to take the bike down.
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

bikerboo

• Scooter
  • 2011 Classic
Reply #24 on: July 15, 2012, 08:07:04 am
Hey Fido,you have a C5 just like mine.Have followed your progress on the uk forum as you bought your bike similar time to mine.Am now on 3000miles so think have overtaken you now!Might be down your way in Sept as toying with idea of going to Brighton for ACE cafe day.Will stop off in Burley if I do, would be nice to catch up with you.Boo(Cath)
Adventure before dementia