Author Topic: English dual seat  (Read 5900 times)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 01:39:31 am
both my c5's came with the 'o' ring chains and both chains were no good! lol
as for the c5's seat -after about 50 miles i have to get off and rest the rump myself. that seat is pretty firm -reminds me of my youth :D

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 05:28:44 am
... im going to a bench of some sort. Dont like solo's even tho they look incredible.
+1  Solo's look great, but a bench seat is more comfortable on longer rides.  The flatter the better.  You can shift about on it for and aft.  Not so with a solo that cups your behind or has nowhere to shift to.  Seems counter to what I'd expect, but that's my experience. 
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 01:02:08 am
I'm going to try the solo with a gel pad stuck in between the cover and the springs; seems that's met with success before, as I read the fora...

Found out today that there's an extra bracket needed to mount the Lycett copy on a C5, that isn't listed in the catalog. I ordered it today from Go Moto; a RE dealer here in Minneapolis, hopefully it'll be here before I leave town this weekend.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 03:23:02 am
I found that the wire hook that's inserted in the springs need to be re-bent to even out the spring rate and then it's really comfortable.  The re-bent wires will break, however, so I replaced all those wires with the heaviest finish nails that would fit in the springs.  It's a little trouble but it's been two years and 12,000 miles of reliable comfort and is holding up well.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 03:27:13 am by jartist »

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 03:36:06 am
Looking at my picture I just remembered that I used a countersink bit to clean up holes in the comb piece so that the hooks that are part of the spring wont get worn by the sharp factory edge.

To clarify, one end of the spring is hooked. Don't bend that side. That hook will hold up if you clean up the edges of the comb centerpiece and you don't alter it. The other side of the spring is brittle wire. Replace the wire with a nail, bend the hook in the nail to desired spring tension and bouncy-bouncy you're butt down the road as happy as if you were riding a john deere tractor or a Brough superior!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 03:50:14 am by jartist »

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 09:55:57 am
i had a lycett style seat that i got from the importer (at a price)and made it more comfortable by cutting up a yoga matt from bunnings and placing two layers between the springs and the cover. it worked great. have spent 8 Hours in the saddle without a sore butt. i also found i had to modify the mounting system to get the height\angle perfect. this involved some l shaped brackets where the springs join the seat  and lowering the pivot point at the front.  not the work of an artisan but i got away with it. yoga matt. yeah!
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #21 on: June 22, 2013, 09:33:23 pm
Kudos to Tim at NFG (yeah, I wrote that) and John at Go Moto, here in Minneapolis!  I now have the extra bracket needed to mount that Lycett seat on my C5, using the OEM seat springs and not the springs that came with the solo Lycett. When I get home on the 2nd, I'll swap the gel-padded Lycett for the OEM plank, put the Vista Cruise and the Hagon shocks on, and that should just about get Fiona all prepped for the run up to Sault Ste. Marie.

I'll try to shoot a couple of photos of the bracket & install job, if anyone's curious about it.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 01:51:51 pm
Perhaps a gel pad is in order. I hear good things ...I think they look like hell, but hey, it's under your ass so who's gonna see it? I found my "banana" bench seat on my 09 G5 finally softened up after a few miles even though it's still no La-z-boy.. Plus, it's not a bad idea to get off every couple hours anyway

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 03:41:16 pm
you guys must be soft ,i ride 300k each way to visit my eldest daughter all the time and my bony arse is fine. i can't feel it ,but its fine :)
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 06:22:50 pm
I had a bike like that.  Great for 30 minutes, not so great at 45, then couldn't feel anything after an hour.  The trick on long runs was to stay in the seat once your butt was numb :)

Scott

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: June 25, 2013, 08:51:51 pm
I had a bike like that.  Great for 30 minutes, not so great at 45, then couldn't feel anything after an hour.  The trick on long runs was to stay in the seat once your butt was numb :)

Scott

+1
Like that, don't give it a thought. Think of England and chuck on.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt