Author Topic: Speedometer needle flutters at 65 MPH  (Read 4360 times)

csmith

• Neophyte
on: July 27, 2012, 04:16:55 pm
My speedometer needle flutters at 65-70 MPH after about 20 minutes of riding. It stays that way until turned off.  Once restarting and driving under 65-70 , no flutter but going back up to 65-70 the flutter returns after 15 -20 minutes.  The flutter is a full 5 mph on the dial by the needle.  Anyone have any thoughts

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 04:42:50 pm
If it were me, I'd take the speedo cable off and look for two things in the core -
a) breakage
b) grime-build up

I've seen a speedo cable-core almost severed and behaved at low speed but the stress of high speeds was enough to mess with it.

As for the grime - pulling the core should allow a good squirt of something like carb-cleaner (followed by a good soaking in a lubricant like wd-40 or better, fresh motor oil) which can help get that old stuff out.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 11:33:48 pm
Hopefully I don't start a war by saying, WD40 is about as useless as teats on a bore for long term lubrication.
It was designed to be a water displacement for electronic hardware, not for lubricating moving machinery parts.
WD40 also tends to dry out and become gummy after a while and gummy is not what a person wants in the speedometer drive.

Lubricate the inner cable with motor oil or a light weight grease like a white petroleum jelly.
Slightly thicker greases can be used but they put more load on the drive gears.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 06:12:13 am
Hopefully I don't start a war by saying, WD40 is about as useless as teats on a bore for long term lubrication.
It was designed to be a water displacement for electronic hardware, not for lubricating moving machinery parts.

WD40 also tends to dry out and become gummy after a while and gummy is not what a person wants in the speedometer drive.

Lubricate the inner cable with motor oil or a light weight grease like a white petroleum jelly.

I got yer back on this one Arizoni...  it's great fer getting the gummy off a bumper sticker or drying plug wires or a distributor but....  oh hell, read this -
http://www.wd40.com/about-us/history/

it is everything BUT a lubricant- Mike
now if ya want a lubricant, let's talk about PB Blaster...
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 01:27:22 am

or better, fresh motor oil

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 01:27:56 am
I got yer back on this one Arizoni...  it's great fer getting the gummy off a bumper sticker or drying plug wires or a distributor but....  oh hell, read this -
http://www.wd40.com/about-us/history/

it is everything BUT a lubricant- Mike
now if ya want a lubricant, let's talk about PB Blaster...

or better, fresh motor oil

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 11:03:06 pm
I like to use "lock ease" on my cables. It's graphite in alcohol which evaporates and fills everything with dry lube. No gummy yuck ever.
08 Bullet ES (AVL)
The Enfield saves on gas, riding the Enfield saves on Prozac. ;)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 03:15:50 am
I use Dri-Slide which is about the same as Lock-Ease, but there are speedo specific lubes available at auto parts stores. I've also used white lithium grease. NO axle grease or wheel bearing grease, please. The lube needs to be very light.
And no WD-40. That stuff is a fair parts cleaner. That's about it. Gotta be the most overrated crap in the world!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

rick505

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 10:04:41 pm
When I had speedo flutter, I lubed the cable with a good fairly heavy chain lube.  Seemed to dampen the flutter.  Don't rider her since getting another bike but it seemed to solve the issue for me.

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 01:03:57 am
For what it's worth, my speedo would flutter by about 5 mph at high speeds too.  But it would always flutter.  I checked and lubed the cable - no change.  I wound up getting a Smiths replica, since my speedo's glass was cracked anyways, and voila!  No more flutter.

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 11:19:58 am
Try the lube provided by Ford, It cleared mine up
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 05:24:25 am
This is gonna sound nuts, but...
My speedo flutters at 60+ as well. Then it was 50+. Yesterday I was going for a ride so I lubed the chain, checked the oil, put some air in the tires, etc. Much to my surprise, the speedo was steady well betond 60mph. Came home and checked that front tire and noticed some odd wear patterns. I pulled the wheel and took it to the shop and had it balanced. Viola! Speedo is rock steady beyond 70mph. Looks like the tire had been "bouncing" and confused the speedo drive.
08 Bullet ES (AVL)
The Enfield saves on gas, riding the Enfield saves on Prozac. ;)