Author Topic: Catcon removed and down goes the bike's torque :(  (Read 5872 times)

Machismo

• Scooter
on: June 26, 2012, 09:59:08 pm
Yesterday I removed the catalytic con(so called) from the bend pipe of the exhaust.
My immediate observation was that the exhaust sound went up a few decibels and now the bike's torque in the first three gears has gone down noticeably. Plus there is tremendous popping on deceleration.
My exhaust is a Goldie, which is almost free flow aka very little glass wool in it.
Carb is BS29 with stock jetting.

How do i get my torque back!!!

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 10:30:45 pm
It's running lean. Air Fuel Mix screw is your weapon! When I did it.. I faced the same but 2 full anti-clockwise turns and it was all good.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 10:50:36 pm
Machismo, you will probably have to go to a larger main jet. 
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 01:17:36 pm
It's running lean. Air Fuel Mix screw is your weapon! When I did it.. I faced the same but 2 full anti-clockwise turns and it was all good.

Doesn't this indicate you might want to try the next larger # Pilot Jet?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 08:10:56 pm
Tooseevee - I did try the pilot when I faced the same but things got messy. I went for 17.5 and figured that during hot weather.. ther will be a flat spot within the first 30% of my throttle. Also, made it leaner but again.. at night it would be too lean... So I went back to stock pilot and changed mainjet, that was a bigger main whch was 140 I guess...

Problem is.. here in india.. it's pretty hard to get CV carb parts..

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 12:06:40 am
Problem is.. here in india.. it's pretty hard to get CV carb parts..

I give you folks in India a lot of respect & credit (not ONLY for building the Enfields) for what you get done.

I have spent A LOT of time (hours) on youtube watching clips of Himalayan motorcycle trips & tours on Enfields. Some of these clips have coverage of travelling around in towns & cities & I am AMAZED at what gets accomplished in some of those teeny tiny bike shops on little tiny streets without hardly room to move around or turn around. Working on the street sitting crosslegged & doing everything we do here in our fancy boutique bike shops. It's mind-blowing. And some of them have been there since The Charge of the Light Brigade.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 07:20:50 am
That was in the Crimea not the Himalaya  ;)
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 01:04:27 pm
That was in the Crimea not the Himalaya  ;)

I know. I realized that as soon as I posted it, but I've learned over my 74 years that it's worse if you try to explain a brainfart. At least I see you're paying attention & KNOW I was incorrect. Very few in my country now know ANY actual, factual, truthful history because our government/union run educational systems have taken all the education out of education & especially History. Many now have no clue where Montana is (& don't care) let alone the Crimea & wouldn't know Tennyson from a fruitcake (& don't care). Sorry to be so brutal about my own country, but it's true.

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 05:05:50 pm
 ;D

A president with a passport? Now there's a novelty!   ;D ;D ;D
May contain nuts.

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 07:15:05 pm
       I give you folks in India a lot of respect & credit (not ONLY for building the Enfields) for what you get done.

I have spent A LOT of time (hours) on youtube watching clips of Himalayan motorcycle trips & tours on Enfields. Some of these clips have coverage of travelling around in towns & cities & I am AMAZED at what gets accomplished in some of those teeny tiny bike shops on little tiny streets without hardly room to move around or turn around. Working on the street sitting crosslegged & doing everything we do here in our fancy boutique bike shops. It's mind-blowing. And some of them have been there since The Charge of the Light Brigade.

Heh yea, our mechs are weird if you look at them but they do wonders at times! Also, our mechs stay low profile because of their financial state.. it's very hard for them. Because here they get paid based on the work they do. In short, it's very less so they learn stuff by breaking some other stuff.

About the CV carb jets. I just figured out that there are 2 other bike companies which are using BS29 and they have higher jets and they go till 140.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 07:35:48 pm
           I know. I realized that as soon as I posted it, but I've learned over my 74 years that it's worse if you try to explain a brainfart. At least I see you're paying attention & KNOW I was incorrect. Very few in my country now know ANY actual, factual, truthful history because our government/union run educational systems have taken all the education out of education & especially History. Many now have no clue where Montana is (& don't care) let alone the Crimea & wouldn't know Tennyson from a fruitcake (& don't care). Sorry to be so brutal about my own country, but it's true.
Hey, thats not fair. Of course the Cheese would know where the Brits got their asses handed to them!  ;)
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 07:56:53 am
Lions lead by donkeys.
May contain nuts.

Machismo

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 09:45:30 am
Sorry to spoil the party folks  ;D
I am not able to get any bigger pilot jets than 15 here in Bangalore(curse curse)..
But why should the main jet be changed to a bigger one - thought popping would mostly be cos of the lean pilot circuit?
Last resort of mine is to try raising the needle a notch. What say?

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 07:26:41 pm
I am not able to get any bigger pilot jets than 15 here in Bangalore(curse curse)..
But why should the main jet be changed to a bigger one - thought popping would mostly be cos of the lean pilot circuit?

I've done a lot of dialing in back & forth & up & down & sideways on the BS-29 on my '08 after replacing the muffler, putting on a K&N & removing ALL the emissions stuff, ALL. First off, I'm still under 500 miles so I still can't truly dial it in yet, but I've done the best I can. I've done it mostly by adding (& subtracting) needle height shims & 'sparamenting with the mixture screw.

One time I went one shim too high PLUS I tried a 17.5 Pilot. It was AWFUL (from the previous experiment). So I removed TWO shims & put the stock 15 Pilot back in & now it runs the best it ever has; no deceleration popping or any other unidentifiable lurches or glurches. One or two kicks anytime & it's running. Idles like a watch with a thump  ;D

My needle has never been anywhere near the Main Jet yet so it will be a while before I discover if it's OK with the stock 110. I'm betting it will probably be OK.

In summary, the engine is happy, after changing intake & exhaust, with only raising the needle height. Try raising your needle by one notch & if that's too high, go back to your original notch & go up one shim. (My notches are not useable. I have to use shims).   

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 09:43:48 pm

Can get bigger than 15 but you need to contact the Pulsar220 guys. They got bigger pilots I believe.. Also they use BS32 and some older 200's use 29 I guess. But...like Toseevee said, sticking to the 15 pilot is the best thing! I tried different pilots... Had major flat spots after bigger pilots, also over-riching at times. I did raise the needle.. and worked great for me. But I think BS32 has 5 notches instead of 3(BS29). So.. maybe you can source a BS32 from the same Pulsar guys. They are around 2000 INR.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 05:32:28 pm
Raising the needle makes more sense than worrying about the pilot if you're looking for lost mid range!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead

Machismo

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 09:13:22 pm
I had already raised the needle earlier when i changed my exhaust to Goldstar.
Now changed the main jet to 120. Popping has reduced lot but on adjusting the fuel screw i noticed that it took about 9 turns out for the tuning - doesnt this mean a bigger pilot is necessary?