Author Topic: CALIF. EFI....Grrrrrr  (Read 7105 times)

saint45

• Scooter
on: June 26, 2012, 08:20:00 pm
Hey All, Was wondering if anyone in cali has the efi silencer. I do and am still getting some pops and grumbles. Is this normal? should I have the EFI checked? I had read it wasnt necessary but wondering if the CALIF. bikes are quite different than others. Thanks!!!!

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 08:23:44 pm
 Get used to the popping , they all do it.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 08:32:53 pm
mine came with the high exhaust and there is not that much popping. the pic is small.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 10:06:49 pm
Hey All, Was wondering if anyone in cali has the efi silencer. I do and am still getting some pops and grumbles. Is this normal? should I have the EFI checked?

I have a California bike with an EFI silencer. It pops occasionally. But runs fine.
Check and see if the exhaust pipe is leaking at any of the connectors, or the head. That's pretty much all that can a make it pop a lot.
Bare

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

saint45

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 10:18:19 pm
Thanx All!I dont mind it, just wondering if it was normal....Bare,Checked that already. Header was lose Before i put it on, but since its stayed solid. Im fine with a lil rumble.....Probably much safer around here in the bay area where everyones looking everywhere BUT the road.

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 11:57:31 pm
Yes mate, it backfires occasionally. Pretty normal, get used to it lol Scares off people aswell  ;)
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 12:49:02 am
I bought a California RE because I didn't want to wait until my bike could be shipped to Arizona from the mid-west.
Before I bought it I made a point of asking exactly what are the differences between the Ca and the 48 state models.
I was told they are exactly the same except the Ca bikes have a screw on fuel cap, the tank is vented to a charcoal canister and the canister is vented to a port on the throttle body.
The computers, valve timing, compression ratio, silencer and everything else is exactly the same.

The free flowing EFI silencer is more restrictive than the rest of the aftermarket silencers but it is still more open than the torpedo.  This causes more air to be sucked thru the throttle body while the computer still is injecting the same amount of fuel as it did before.  That in effect causes the fuel/air mixture to be leaner.

I have read that the computer will use the O2 sensor to find this leaner condition and it will enrich the fuel/air mix to make a more 'correct' ratio and this should reduce the backfiring.
I haven't read anyone's comment that this actually happened with their EFI bikes though.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 01:34:55 am
EFI bikes with less restrictive silencers will run lean when not under power, especially when backing off for corners after riding hard or on long sustained down hill stretches.  The main effects are:

- a build up of unburnt gas in the exhaust that eventually ignites in the muffler and causes the backfire sound
- in more extreme cases surging and bucking at low revs, especially on downhill stretches

Its been claimed that setting the TPS to 0.7 volts can reduce this issue a bit but I have not tried this myself.

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 01:41:33 am
Its been claimed that setting the TPS to 0.7 volts can reduce this issue a bit but I have not tried this myself.

How does one accomplish that task?
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 02:24:05 am
Thankyah!
-Dave
2012 C5 Special

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 03:38:23 am
I have done the TPS thing. My idle voltage was 0.61V. I increased it to about 0.66-0.67V.

No matter how rich you will make the system, there will always be some backfiring (Especially on the aftermarket mufflers). With the adjusted TPS setting, I still get some backfiring, not a lot though. If you roll of the throttle suddenly after accelerating a bit, it will tend to pop no matter how rich it is running. (Atleast 1 out of 3 times, and this is deliberately trying to make it backfire)

I've read on our forum before, probably through ScooterBob or Scotty the Ducaty, that the torpedo also backfires but it is more subdued. I have got used to it now, it happens rarely and when it does happen it's like  :o  ;D

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 06:41:20 am
I have done the TPS thing. My idle voltage was 0.61V. I increased it to about 0.66-0.67V.

No matter how rich you will make the system, there will always be some backfiring (Especially on the aftermarket mufflers). With the adjusted TPS setting, I still get some backfiring, not a lot though. If you roll of the throttle suddenly after accelerating a bit, it will tend to pop no matter how rich it is running. (Atleast 1 out of 3 times, and this is deliberately trying to make it backfire)

I've read on our forum before, probably through ScooterBob or Scotty the Ducaty, that the torpedo also backfires but it is more subdued. I have got used to it now, it happens rarely and when it does happen it's like  :o  ;D

Did you find the TPS adjustment had any negative effects like increased carbon fouling of plugs ?

The reason I ask is my B5 seems to have both over-lean backfire at the same time as over-rich carbon fouling on short trips.  I replaced the air filter which reduced the carbon fouling a little bit, and have run injector cleaner - but the carbon fouling problem is still there, meaning I am therefore wary of adjusting the TPS to an even richer setting. (its possibly the O2 sensor is faulty, but I have no idea how to check that)

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 07:31:06 am
Hey,
With all the riding I've done, I haven't inspected the spark plug till now. If you can wait till the weekend, I might take a picture of the plug and send it to you/let you know.

If your carbon fouling is not significant, I guess that may be normal/average on RE bikes. Shouldn't be worried. (Unless of course it's obvious large amount of fouling) Anyhow, I will check it and let you know.

Btw, check your PM
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 07:33:22 am by JVS »

trimleyman

• Bulleteer
  • 1953 or 2011.
Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 06:53:51 am
saint45 , your in the bay area also. nice.I have only seen a couple of Enfields round here and never when I have been on mine. I have the Electra silencer on mine for about a month now as the cat converter was coming loose (well rattling in the inside up-front). Overall the bike runs much   better although backfiring was an issue but is becoming less. Chrome quality was poor so a trip to the chrome shop is in order. Enjoy the thump.
Now 2011 Royal Enfield G5 and just added 2014 Continental GT and latest 2015 Ducati 803 Scrambler Urban Enduro
Then:-
1978 Ducati 900 GTES
1969 Ducati 350 Desmo Racer
1972 Mototrans Ducati 250 24 Horas
1965 Triumph Tiger Cub 200
1967 BSA Bantum

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 05:23:39 am
The California bike are exactly the same with the exceptions listed below relating to a sealed fuel system. It does not degrade performance at all. If it were me.... I would not touch the TPS setting regardless of what anyone says. It is the starting point from which all other settings in the EFI system take their cues. There can be unintended consequences from fooling with it. As with all things Enfield the answers to problems are always simple.  Don't let you imagination run wild with complicated expensive fixes. First off the EFI is one of the best in the world. It is rare that there are failures of the actual EFI system itself.  For example if you think you have a rich condition it is a good idea to check the sidestand switch. Put the bike on the centerstand and wiggle the sidestand while the bike is running.
I have seen a case where the sidestand switch has switch on and off in micro bursts causing a plug to foul.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 04:56:25 pm
......  First off the EFI is one of the best in the world.......
I have seen a case where the sidestand switch has switch on and off in micro bursts causing a plug to foul.

come-on K you are kidding right ?

Us techie people would call that a failure of the "switch debounce" code in the programming of the EFI.

IMHO, YMMV, standard disclaimers apply.....
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 05:07:16 pm
OR ....  it might be a fuel-control problem in the EFI code.

Seriously, was the plug fouled because the bike was stumbling along with fuel being injected whilst the ignition was cut-off ?

With a safety interlock I'd expect BOTH injector pulses and ignition pulses inhibited.

unless the timing of the switch bounce was rythmatically related to  engine vibration and frame echos.....  In which case I'd go back to blaming the debounce code.

1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 05:07:40 pm
I am completely missing your point. Maybe try again.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 05:12:38 pm
in regards to the side stand switch...
if my c5 is running in neutral and i deploy the side stand the engine cuts off.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 06:22:27 pm

ALL switches bounce - some more than others.

reference list:  (best read in order)
first -  http://www.maxim-ic.com/app-notes/index.mvp/id/287
next -  http://www.labbookpages.co.uk/electronics/debounce.html#soft
best for last  - http://www.ganssle.com/debouncing.htm
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 06:25:43 pm

Another great reason to remove the switch.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 06:27:35 pm

setting the trouble-shooting aside, my overall point was calling it the "best EFI" and then giving an example that points out a weakness in the EFI programming .... can be excused by the late hour of your post & fermented beverages.

Cheers !

Jim
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 12:10:43 am
The California bike are exactly the same with the exceptions listed below relating to a sealed fuel system. It does not degrade performance at all. If it were me.... I would not touch the TPS setting regardless of what anyone says. It is the starting point from which all other settings in the EFI system take their cues. There can be unintended consequences from fooling with it. As with all things Enfield the answers to problems are always simple.  Don't let you imagination run wild with complicated expensive fixes. First off the EFI is one of the best in the world. It is rare that there are failures of the actual EFI system itself.  For example if you think you have a rich condition it is a good idea to check the sidestand switch. Put the bike on the centerstand and wiggle the sidestand while the bike is running.

On my bike, with a cold engine, you can foul a brand new plug in less than 5 minutes riding in town traffic. The only way to avoid it is ride in a very low gear but you then have problems with the rev limiter cutting in.

I tried wriggling the sidestand as suggested but you need to move it at least half an inch before the engine cuts. I might disconnect the switch on the weekend just to see if it helps.  It fouls in town with both standard and NGK plugs even after setting the gap to 0.7 mm with a brand new airfilter.  Highway riding seems fine.

I am not sure if the O2 sensor would cause this issue.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 05:25:45 am
On my bike, with a cold engine, you can foul a brand new plug in less than 5 minutes riding in town traffic. .......................... Highway riding seems fine.
I am not sure if the O2 sensor would cause this issue.

fuel, or, oil fouling ?

does your injector sound correct ?  nice crisp hydraulic clattering noise is what you should hear.

If you turn on the key, and NOT start the engine, then, how long does it take between fuel pump run ups ?
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #25 on: July 08, 2012, 05:39:06 am
Yeah ^ and it might be a good idea to check your TPS idle voltage as shown in singhg5's video. It will be interesting to know that one.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: July 09, 2012, 01:17:26 am
Yeah ^ and it might be a good idea to check your TPS idle voltage as shown in singhg5's video. It will be interesting to know that one.

TPS is unchanged at factory default and measured at 0.5 volts so quite lean.

Kevin has given me a list of things to try I am working though.

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #27 on: July 09, 2012, 01:22:32 am
I see. .5V is probably the leanest I've seen on this forum. Interesting  :o

Hope everything is sorted out soon though. Good luck GlennF