Author Topic: Starter cover in polished aluminum.  (Read 3459 times)

oldsalt

• Bulleteer
on: May 14, 2008, 04:34:24 am
Decided that the unplated or unpolished starter needed a polished aluminum cover.  The issue I saw was attaching it to the round portion of the starter.  Piece of cake if I did not mind removing the starter to do the work.  I mind.  So the cover was formed up and attached with silicon gasket sealer.  It has been on for about a hundred miles...I doubt it will fall off because of the large surface in contact with the starter.  See picture.  Cost?  A scrap of aluminum and a little sealer.    

[old attachment deleted by admin]
-2006 Sixty-5
-1941 Knuckle
-Lotza Mini Bikes
-67 Triumph 500
-46 Hiawatha
-67 Triumph 650

sewerman

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 07:47:25 pm
Oldsalt,
    I like what you did.  I did not like the looks of mine either.  First I cut the the square nub looking thing off off the right side.  Then I sanded and polished each aluminum end piece.  Final touch was to paint the cover gloss black to match the black cylinder.  Came out nice.  Some freakin day I'll learn how to post a pic.  Great job!

deejay

Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 09:19:15 pm
Decided that the unplated or unpolished starter needed a polished aluminum cover.  The issue I saw was attaching it to the round portion of the starter.  Piece of cake if I did not mind removing the starter to do the work.  I mind.  So the cover was formed up and attached with silicon gasket sealer.  It has been on for about a hundred miles...I doubt it will fall off because of the large surface in contact with the starter.  See picture.  Cost?  A scrap of aluminum and a little sealer.     

I took the more drastic route and ripped it off completely.

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 01:15:46 am
Oldsalt,
  [snip]  Some freakin day I'll learn how to post a pic.  [snip]

When you "Reply" there is a hot spot "Additional Options" right below the text box you type into. Click on that...The click on "browse" button and add your picture.
Giv it a try
jim

[old attachment deleted by admin]
BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'

oldsalt

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 02:07:29 am
sewerman
I would have cleaned up and polished out the end plates and painted the round housing black, just as you did, but I was not in the mood to pull off the starter at his time.  I don't yet have a service manual. 

deejay
Until today [and the Bullet has 209 miles on it] I had not tried kick starting the thumper.  Found out it is a piece of cake.  I fired it cold this morning on the second kick.  Would have been the first kick if the the old girl were still fitted with an Amal monoblock sporting a "tickler" like my old Gold Star.  I have a rather damaged back and really shouldn't be doing that sort of thing.  So the starter has to stay. 

-2006 Sixty-5
-1941 Knuckle
-Lotza Mini Bikes
-67 Triumph 500
-46 Hiawatha
-67 Triumph 650

sewerman

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 05:28:04 pm
Oldsalt,
   Taking of the starter is no big deal.  Disconnect the battery terminals, remove the hot cable to the starter and then take off the two bolts that hold the starter on and "wiggle" the starter off.  Piece of cake!.  I used a small cheapy dremel type tool from Harbor Freight to grind, sand and polish the end pieces.  Four beers later and I was done!  Or maybe it was five beers?!

oldsalt

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 05:44:52 am
Oldsalt,
   Taking of the starter is no big deal.  Disconnect the battery terminals, remove the hot cable to the starter and then take off the two bolts that hold the starter on and "wiggle" the starter off.  Piece of cake!.  I used a small cheapy dremel type tool from Harbor Freight to grind, sand and polish the end pieces.  Four beers later and I was done!  Or maybe it was five beers?!

I'll give it a try.  Should have allready purchased a manual.  I have enough equipment for doing such work.
-2006 Sixty-5
-1941 Knuckle
-Lotza Mini Bikes
-67 Triumph 500
-46 Hiawatha
-67 Triumph 650