Author Topic: Flip up gas cap conversion kit  (Read 11392 times)

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
  • Your only as old as you feel
Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 01:49:52 am
I have to agree with everyone else, that looks really good, more of a vintage look. I have had issues with my spring loaded cap leaking as well, looks like another item to add to my list.
'11 C5 Military

fatfatboy

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017, 12:36:53 am
 I realize that this is an old thread but I thought I'd ask if this conversion is still as good as it was when new.

The day I picked up my '16 Classic the gas cap wouldn't lock. The dealer swapped another from a floor bike so I could ride until a replacement came in.

The temporary cap locks but I have to work it to get it to lock. Takes a couple  attempts and I have to turn the key back to lock it.

The replacement came in, I have to change all the locks so they match.
I put the new one on and it wont lock. It works fine off the bike but when on it will not lock no matter how much I push down on it. 

So I think there must be something wrong with the tank so I think this might cure my problems,, besides, I really do not like locking fuel caps.

There once was a biker named Double-Fat
Who rode all over like a cafeined gnat.
When he once tried some Frenchy booze,
His skills improved the more he wooz'd-
And he was heard to mumble, "Dood- that's where it's AT!"
Uncle Ernie-4-24-2011

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 02:07:09 am
  I had the same problem with my Electra tank/locking cap. The seal sucked big time so I got a new one. The new one wouldn't latch and lock AT ALL so I made a cork gasket to add to the existing seal.
  I got the cap conversion kit and RE cap from CMW shortly after I got my '12 C5. The cap was too big for the adapter so I picked up a used round one from a local guy for about $20. It fits nicely, and the only time I see a leak is if I over-fill the tank.
   BTW: The link ADB posted is no longer good.
   Contact Royal Enfield Fort Worth 1.888.415.8986
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 04:06:13 pm
My 2015 C5 cap lock didn't work and one day when I tipped, gas poured down the side in an instant.  :o

That was it for me. I ordered the round chrome conversion kit from H. Beautiful chrome, easy installation. I love my new cap now every time I look at it. Never wanted the lock. Looks much cleaner witbout it. 8)

REFW may have one or may save you shipping if you call them. ::)
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

fatfatboy

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: March 18, 2017, 01:24:19 am
 Thanks for the reply, gents.
This looks like it will be my route.
I called REFW and had to leave a message because the parts guy was busy.
I hope they have what I'm looking for.
Uncle Ernie-4-24-2011

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #20 on: March 18, 2017, 08:15:26 pm
Wish I liked its looks, I don't trust locking gas caps. Ever seen one of the chrome lever caps on a vintage Ducati ?  They had a beautiful twist lever on top to unlock the cap before flipping it open.  That or am aluminum Monza flip Cap would float my boat.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #21 on: March 19, 2017, 10:32:39 am
locking caps came into being in the 70's in Europe when it was easy to steal petrol from motorbikes, even in this more modern age I wouldn't have a non locking cap, I'd be scared of parking up in the middle of nowhere only to have some unscrupulous individual remove my gas leaving me stranded!
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #22 on: March 19, 2017, 11:39:20 am
Shame you cannot get one of those that works on plastic.

Small bore flexi hose attached to a vacuum cleaner works perfectly well. Ask ME how I know  ::)
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #23 on: March 19, 2017, 12:02:41 pm
Small bore flexi hose attached to a vacuum cleaner works perfectly well. Ask ME how I know  ::)

How do you keep the vacuum cleaner from sucking up all the gas?

;)

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #24 on: March 19, 2017, 01:15:43 pm
How do you keep the vacuum cleaner from sucking up all the gas?

;)

Honestly, some people need lead buy the hand. What is the world coming to.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siL82Qtnj_s
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

fatfatboy

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: March 19, 2017, 03:01:14 pm
locking caps came into being in the 70's in Europe when it was easy to steal petrol from motorbikes, even in this more modern age I wouldn't have a non locking cap, I'd be scared of parking up in the middle of nowhere only to have some unscrupulous individual remove my gas leaving me stranded!

Unfortunately in this day and age they are more than likely just to take the bike.

Funny true story about someone stealing fuel;
A guy and his family were sleeping in a motor home. The guy hears some commotion outside the camper.
He steps out to see what the noise was about and found a jug next to his motor home, a rubber house sticking out the waste port and a trail of vomit going away from the motor home.
Somebody was trying to steal fuel and put the hose in the wrong port.
Karma at work.
Uncle Ernie-4-24-2011

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #26 on: March 19, 2017, 05:45:03 pm
Honestly, some people need lead buy the hand. What is the world coming to.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siL82Qtnj_s

Are you suggesting that I'm one of those people?  Well, I'm not!  I would easily have solved that problem, just turn the bike over and pour out the fuel.  Then you can use the vacuum to fish out the plastic part...

Actually, that was 5 years ago - by now I imagine ethanol-laced fuel has dissolved the plastic part... problem solved!

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: March 19, 2017, 09:43:46 pm
Johno, I am equally leery of locking gas caps. All to often they become stuck locked, either from being cheaply made, or having a key broken off in them, or tampering. I'd trade mine off for a non locking, aesthetically pleasing alternative in a heartbeat.
Much rather have my gas stolen - then a stuck cap I couldn't put any into.

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: March 19, 2017, 11:43:46 pm
If the only threat posed by  a non-locking fuel cap was having your fuel stolen, then I guess that is a risk most people could live with. However, have you ever had something out in your fuel tank that shouldn't be there? Like sugar?  Sugar in petrol leads to the worst decoke job imaginable. And that's always supposing the engine isn't just scrap.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: March 24, 2017, 02:35:16 pm
If the only threat posed by  a non-locking fuel cap was having your fuel stolen, then I guess that is a risk most people could live with. However, have you ever had something out in your fuel tank that shouldn't be there? Like sugar?  Sugar in petrol leads to the worst decoke job imaginable. And that's always supposing the engine isn't just scrap.

Dang, Nobody hates me like that,  & random hooligans @ WalMart don't ordinarily carry sugar.  I don't need to worry much, because I don't leave Motorcycles outdoors when I'm done riding them. Being left out in weather is guaranteed to eventually cause problems.
LIKE TO FIND A MONZA CAP LIKE THIS ONE FOR MY G5 DELUXE.....