Author Topic: Stock tires on a G5  (Read 3941 times)

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
on: June 20, 2012, 01:54:13 pm
My Dad recently purchased a 2011 G5 as his first bike.  I've heard differing opinions on the stock Avon tires.  What is the consensus on the suitability of the stock G5 tires for the less aggressive riding style of a brand new rider?

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 02:56:28 pm
Compared to the Japanese tyres of the '70 an '80's they are like Blu Tack.

But an adult will be along in a minute to tell you all there is to know...
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 04:12:18 pm
I like them just fine. There are some folks who say they are the worst thing since the plague, but I would be perfectly happy with another set on my bike. I suggest savinv your money for other things and see if YOU like them ok.

Eamon
Eamon

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 05:48:36 pm
They're fine for a new rider, but be aware they can be locked up with heavy front brake usage.  They are not particularly good in the dirt, but can be used on smooth dirt roads. If he ever wants to get frisky in the twisties, they are not the tire to have. If he gets to the point of running through corners and feels like he's running out of road, the front end is pushing, it's time to change.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 12:37:16 am
hillntx
I have a 2011 G5 Deluxe with 5700 miles on it and the original Avon tires are still doing their job.

I probably ride like your dad will.
I tend to take it easy and just enjoy the ride without trying to push the limits or thrill myself.
That's not to say I hold up any traffic on city streets or intercity highways including some moderately twisty ones.  I don't.

Almost all of my riding is on dry tarmac and I'm not too sure the ribbed front tire would be very good in the wet.  The grooves won't direct water out to the sides like the new tread patterns do so if I ever end up riding in the rain I plan on being extra careful with it.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 01:46:59 am
They're fine for a new rider, but be aware they can be locked up with heavy front brake usage. 

They can do that, I got tipped off by loose gravel on a corner with new road works for exactly that reason.

Many people recommend replacing the Avons with Dunlop K70's though apparently the K70 rear wears very quickly.

This is the tire thread ...

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,10916.0.html

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 02:17:44 am
I have yet to see any front tire that won't lock up on gravel, sand or wet asphalt.

Except for the time the clod clipped my front tire by changing into my lane every other time I ever dropped a motorcycle it was due to one of those things.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 09:52:34 am
They can do that, I got tipped off by loose gravel on a corner with new road works for exactly that reason.

You were using the front brake in a bend?!?!?!?!?
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 10:46:34 am
Uh oh!

Maybe in an extended bend at a comfortable speed, the front brake with very little pressure can be applied? or the like.
I haven't done that ever, and won't be doing it either. (Come to think of it, I did it once in a tight bend, thankfully nothing bad happened, because of RE disc brake?  :-\) Experienced riders may be able to do it. If you get used to your front brake, it's probably more easy, but I get scared of the thought that the front tyre may lock up (whilst turning) if I use the FB with too much 'accidental' pressure on the lever  :-\
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 10:51:16 am by JVS »
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 12:14:34 pm
i switched my g5 to avon am26 last year, i couldn't be happier.  the handle much better then the square profiled rear tire and track less in grooves then the ribbed front.

Samgar
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 12:33:41 pm
I switched to the Dunlop  70's, and I noticed the different in stability immediately. The bike is more sure footed on every surface. Couldn't be happier.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 02:31:42 pm
You were using the front brake in a bend?!?!?!?!?

Well to be more precise slowing down approaching a T intersection. There was several yards of hard to see, half inch deep, loose black gravel over new bitumen at the point you would just start to turn.

That said ... I have braked heavily in turns to avoid things on my old xj900 and all that happened was the bike tried to stand up a bit in the turn.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 04:42:48 pm
Glenn F, what you describe is exactly how the motorcycle safety course teaches you to handle a problem in a corner. I have practiced this in lower speed bends and it is very effective.
Robert.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 05:53:49 pm
I use the front brake in turns all the time. Just don't lock it up!
On the other hand, when My front end washed out with the Avon Skid Master, I wasn't on the brake at all. It just ran out of traction, which it did a lot, but this time it went all the way. Jack had the same problem with his, but got rid of the tires before they dumped him.  These tires don't require any other outside help, like dirt, wet, sand, or front brakes, to drop you on your butt!
Dunlops have been much kinder! Dunlops may not last as long as the Skid Masters, but who gives a damn as long as they keep the rubber side down.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 01:29:29 am
  "To ride a Royal Enfield with K70's is to live forever". Winston Churchill           
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 02:19:44 am by Jack Leis »
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 05:02:56 am
Thank you Eamon, Barenekd, Arizoni and others for the helpful responses.

aikischmid

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 06:44:20 pm
l love my Dunlop K70s! I don't feel like a mild gust of wind is going to send me careening off the road anymore.
2011 Royal Enfield G5 Classic, British Racing Green