Author Topic: Auto-Oilers with a C5?  (Read 6754 times)

BrashRooster

• Bulleteer
  • Yeah I stepped in it.
Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 08:33:07 am
Can you put a Xring on a C5. I think I have asked this before? Sorry if I did I have a really good memory  ::) PJ1 Blue is what I always used but I couldn't get it from my usual stop and ended up getting some Dupont Spray Lube from Walmart going back to PJ1 soon as I run out.
Signature

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 02:59:36 pm
Yes, you can put an x or o ring on the C5.  If you go up one tooth on the front sprocket of a B5/G5 you can do it there too. 

Scott

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 04:47:38 pm
Who knew so much could be said about a chain and sprocket. I basically put gas in the damn thing and drive. I do lube the chain about once a month/500 miles or so. And check the tire pressure, another highly contested subject I might add, and make sure no one is pulling out in front of me.
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 04:58:24 pm
Asked my guy at The Daily Rider (my RE dealer) and his opinion of the whole issue was "why waste the money".

Well, we know what opinions are like...
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 05:02:46 pm
Quote from: The_Rigger
I think I'll go root around in the online Back Issue Directory and see if I can find the article you're referring to.
I think it was in the mid-late '90s

Sept. '01. Found it, just need to find time to read it and ruminate.

Tri-Flow and WD-40 ain't gonna cut it, dudes.

WD-40 isn't a lubricant; it's a water displacer (and frankly, not a very good one). "Lubricating" anything with WD-40 is tanamount to destroying it.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: June 23, 2012, 07:07:34 pm
WD-40 isn't a lubricant; it's a water displacer (and frankly, not a very good one). "Lubricating" anything with WD-40 is tanamount to destroying it.

I agree 100%! It's a fair parts cleaner. It's OK for door hinges occasionally.
But, you would be amazed about the arguments I've seen for it to be used as a chain lube on other Superbike forums, no less!
Bare

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 07:49:18 pm
Tri-Flow is a reasonably good cable lube, I have found... I use it at work, to lubricate the limit switch mechanisms on electric winch motors.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #22 on: June 24, 2012, 01:23:59 am
It shouldn't need to be said, but just in case, "Do not lube and wipe your chain with the engine running and the bike in gear."  It's a quick job by itself, just put the bike on the center stand and rotate the wheel with one hand and spray the chain with the other.  Wipe as needed.

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
Reply #23 on: June 24, 2012, 04:03:58 am
But, you would be amazed about the arguments I've seen for it to be used as a chain lube on other Superbike forums, no less!

That's nothing. You wouldn't want to see the arguments I've seen in various gun forums over the years, in favor of using that crap as a cleaner/lube/protectant on an otherwise perfectly good pistol...  It's enough to make your head swim.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: June 24, 2012, 04:13:29 am
I don't recall the details, but do remember PJ1 Blue was the winner. PJ1 Black was second or third. Chain Wax was near the bottom of ten or twelve other brands.

Actually PJ1 Black won with 25 points (and is an MCN Best Buy), followed by Kawasaki K-Kare and Yamaha Performance (tied at 23.5 points), followed by Pro Honda HP Lube and PJ1 Blue (tie at 22 points), then Torco Power Slide Titanium (21.5 points), followed by the highest scoring chain wax (from Bardahl - 20 points).

I have the article on the desk with me right now; great article, excellent methodology used for the testing.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
Reply #25 on: June 24, 2012, 04:15:07 am
It shouldn't need to be said, but just in case, "Do not lube and wipe your chain with the engine running and the bike in gear."

Yeah, we know a guy at work who did that once... He answers to "Stumpy" now.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special