Author Topic: Royal enfield thunderbird 350 customization  (Read 10234 times)

Jones James

• Neophyte
on: June 19, 2012, 02:24:17 pm
Help please..! Royal Enfield Thunderbird 350 Customization.. :D?
I'm planning to buy a brand new Royal enfield thunderbird 350. After buying, i'd like to do a little bit of customization. So, i want to know how much should i spend in total if i wish to do the following alterations.
1) Increase the front fork inclination with horizontal.
2) Change the gear position.
3) Custom headlamp
4) New shiny rims and new big tires
5) Place speedometer on the fuel tank
6) New Custom Handle bar

Thanks. :D

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 12:52:13 am
I think the RE Thunderbird 350 is only available in India?

If so, and if you are living in India I have no idea what the going rates for your customization would be.

Changing the front fork inclination involves a lot of cutting and welding and if it isn't done correctly the bike won't steer properly and in a worst case situation where a weld fails it could easily kill you.

I assume "Changing the gear position" means changing the pedel location and the gear selector?
Depending on where you want the foot pegs located that could be fairly easy but again, welding will be required.  As for the linkage for the lever and the new arm for the shifting shaft that can be either straight forward or quite involved.

The headlight is probably pretty simple although with the UCE models there is a LOT of wiring in the casquette that will have to go somewhere else.

Rims and tires can be low cost or they can cost a small fortune depending on what you choose.

Moving the speedometer to the fuel tank may be difficult if it is mechanically driven.
As the drive would have to go thru the fuel tank, the tank will have to be modified to accommodate it.  Mounting it presents its own set of difficulties.

Getting back to India, if I understand some of their laws, modifications that are not factory approved may be reason for refusing to allow the bike to be registered.
If this applies to you by all means check into this before chopping up your brand new bike.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 04:13:39 pm
Using a shorter rear shock could be a way of slacking out your frame's head angle (thus raking the fork out) and lowering the bike.

No welding necessary.  Alas, I don't know if a shorter rear shock, sprung and damped appropriately, is readily available in India.  Royal Enfield Zone in New Delhi may be the place to ask for most of your wishes.  Prices are going to be relative to your location...much cheaper than the rest of the world for lots of it, possibly way more expensive for some of it.  Not too many on the forum can really give you an answer.

Also, for what it's worth, throwing wide tires on a 350 is a losing deal in terms of performance.  Obviously you want the aesthetics; your description of what you want is very Harley-like.   A 3.5" tire front and back is probably as wide as necessary and practical, IMHO.   

Jones James

• Neophyte
Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 03:13:36 am
Thanks, AgentX and Arizoni... :D
That really helped. Thanks for your advices.. :D

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 05:00:10 am
For what it's worth, I've not seen any problems registering a modified bike in India.