Author Topic: push rod installation question????  (Read 2426 times)

WVRIDER

• Scooter
on: June 16, 2012, 03:07:52 am
When installing pushrods in my 57 TB can anyone help me out, there is one end with a deeper depth than the other, which end goes into the base and which end hits the valve?   Thanks for any help....

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 08:08:55 am
Modified as I didn't know TB was "Trail Blazer".
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 07:19:37 am by Lwt Big Cheese »
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 08:19:22 pm
I think he's talking about a Trailblazer with the 692cc twin engine.

I don't have the foggiest idea what the answer about the deep vs shallow end on the pushrods really is but if I were to guess I would put the deep ends towards the tappets and the shallow end towards the rocker arms.

My logic here is that the tappet end doesn't have to accommodate an interface that is going to change directions but the rocker arm end must accommodate the rotation of the arms.
I wouldn't want the spherical end of the rocker arm adjustment screw to be embedded in a deep hole.

At least that's my theory but I won't stick to it if someone smarter than me wants to tell us what the real answer is. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 04:10:25 pm
Arizoni is correct the shallow cup goes up.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 07:13:34 pm
Many of the 700cc push rods I have come across have loose cup ends on them. Some you can pull right off the rod tube easily with your fingers. The placement information given previously is sound thinking but many of these old bikes have mixed & matched parts or this question wouldn't even come up. The main thing is that they fit without interference and that the valve lash can be adjusted to specs.