Author Topic: Introduction and a note of thanks  (Read 3477 times)

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 03:55:15 pm
baby powder on the tube, soap on  the tire, duct tape on the rim( to prevent scratches)
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 07:14:37 pm
Check the inside of the wheel and tire and see if you can find what punctured the tube. A spoke end could have done it. There should be a rubber rim strip over the spokes. Make sure it's intact.
When you get the new tube into the tire, inflate it just a bit to keep it from getting pinched between the rim and tire iron or tire as you slip the tire back on. Leave the valve stem nut a little loose, I usually leave mine about 1/2 way up the stem, so if the tire should slip on the rim under hard braking the stem won't get ripped off and cause a flat. This is particularly important if you run low pressures with no rim lock.
I doubt that the dealer will warranty a flat, unless you can demonstrate that the flat as caused by improper installation, but he does owe you a tube.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 11:09:23 pm
A good knowledge in the language of the common sailor is recommended.

Although the procedure is similar to changing a bicycle tire it stops there.
Comparing the two is like comparing changing the tires on a regular automobile with changing the tire on a Mack truck.

I strongly suggest that you have your dealer skin up his knuckles while he chants 'the curses of the tire changer'.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 12:12:48 am
Although the advantage of changing it yourself is if you ever have a roadside flat you will not be learning how to do it on the side of the road.

Its hard to tell what caused the flat until you get the old tube out.  Even a puncture elsewhere on the tube may tend to still leak out around the stem.

You could of course have been very unlucky and picked up a nail. Another common cause is tire pressure too low (down around 10 lbs for example) which allows the tube to rotate inside the tire damaging or even ripping off the stem.

meganuke

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 11:52:11 pm
I got the bike back this afternoon.  It was incredibly hot riding it home, but it still felt good to be back on two wheels.  Big thanks to Mark's Motorsports in Enfield, CT for fixing my flat.  Apparently, there was a hole in the side of the tube.  So it probably wasn't anything I hit, and it didn't seem to be caused by a spoke or rim slippage.  Must've been a defect in the tube.
Cromwell, CT
SaddleSore 1000 completed on a C5

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 11:57:33 pm
Probably was a pinch. They will migrate in the tire from where they were pinched.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com