Author Topic: my silencer has got nice rainbow colours!  (Read 3054 times)

gill974

• Scooter
on: June 12, 2012, 05:09:40 pm
Hi,
my black bullet has got 3000miles eveything is Ok except that the silencer,a short one first ,the standard loooong one then turn blue,yellow,.....I never go over 4000rpm Any idea?
Thanks for your help

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 05:27:36 pm
The discoloration is due to heat. Heat builds up at the catalytic converter at the end of the exhaust header (at least on the AVL, Electra X) and before the muffler. Modern engines that have to run so incredibly lean (due to emissions) run very very hot. They are engineered to accomplish this. The main way to prevent discoloration is to add the complexity of an internal or external heat shield.

In the old days, all of our aftermarket exhausts turned blue/purple as we did the performance enhancements. So, to us, purple, blue and yellow - simply means "Fast"   ; - )

There are products out there for removal - but I've not seen good reviews/results.

Matt
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 05:33:43 pm by Thumper »

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 06:11:08 pm
There are some polishes that will get rid of the colors, like Blue Away and another that is mentioned in this forum that I can't recall the name of, but is apparently better then the Blue Away. However, either of them requires a bit of elbow grease and the color is going to come back, so it's an ongoing ritual.
My personal feeling is that it ain't worth the effort!
You could paint the exhaust with hi-temp black paint which really looks pretty good, but I suspect touchups would be required
Then there's black exhaust tape that you wrap around the pipe. I've seen it done, but can't offer anything about the life or long term look of the stuff.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 02:52:09 pm
Hi,
my black bullet has got 3000miles eveything is Ok except that the silencer,a short one first ,the standard loooong one then turn blue,yellow,.....I never go over 4000rpm Any idea?
Thanks for your help

replace it with a Harley muffler - much better chrome on them.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

john hut

• John Hut
  • Scooter
  • EFI Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 10:23:12 pm
Been out today on a 50mile run ,speeds up to 75 m.p.h,can,t seem to get any blueing after 5000 miles,what am I doing wrong???..
John Electra Deluxe Efi

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 10:58:52 pm
Hello John, you may not be doing ANYTHING wrong.  I choose to believe it is the quality of the chrome on Hitchcocks Goldstar silencer. I recently put one one my bike and have been riding the piss out of it and it still looks brand new. I replaced an EMGO Dunstall Replica silencer that started turning blue the first five miles. I could be wrong but the British chrome just seems to be far superb.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 04:41:31 am
I have the english made EFI muffler. It turned blue, then yellow, then purple. I'm enjoying the patina.