Author Topic: SIDECAR RACING  (Read 4539 times)

Chewt

• Neophyte
on: June 12, 2012, 01:43:07 pm
I thought you may like to see the Classic Racing Sidecar that I started racing inthe UK, after a 17 year break.

Hope you like the pics

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 03:59:17 pm
Cool! But you can't keep us in suspense. Details, we need details!
Thanks.

Matthew Harris

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 10:35:01 pm
I'd probably fall off and hurt myself, but still, SURE LOOKS LIKE FUN!
2000 Bullet 500 Classic- Green
REA 42

Chewt

• Neophyte
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 09:43:54 am
My father raced Super Meteor engine chairs back in 1950's and 60's. He had some close links with the factory although he never got any sponsor ship hedid get technical support and some parts. His bike then was a purpose built chassis by a gent called Jack Marchant who lived in Heathfield in Sussex.

He gave up just after I was born around 1966.

Twenty years latter the CRMC satrted racing and my father put together another outfit, this time a kneeler with mini wheels, i will try and scan some pictures. I became his ballast at the tender age of 17. It kept me out of trouble... of course i then wanted a go with the bars. This stirred my dad into building a new sitter type chassis, which you see in the pictures.

This has super meteor cases, barrels borred to accept interceptor pistons and interceptor heads. Concentric carbs and a standard 4 speed gearbox.

The rear wheel is Norton and the front brake is an 8" inch drum. This enables the bike to be ridden in the Vintage class in the UK.

The pictures are of me on riding at Lydden Hill in Kent at the CRMC event this June. First  time out for bike and ridder since 1996. We just rebuilt the gearbox and started her up..

It rides relly well, just the gearbox lets it down, and its rather portly crew...

Im dwelling on the idea of buying a new 5 speed gearbox before we go to the CRMB event in Chimay this July.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 10:51:12 am
So it's a generational kind-of a thing! Neat. The only thing my father did with me and his bike (a 50cc Brahmsfeet (sp?) in the Netherlands) was to wipe out with me on the back - which scraped all 23 warts off my knee. At 7 years old, that convinced me that I didn't like motorcycles!

I don't know how you find the time. That (time) has become my most precious commodity these days. I guess we make time for the important stuff! My bike-project days are over now (and there were many many of them) - and I'm actually a bit relieved. I'm happy to go watch my older brother road-race! (not sidecars though, just boring old Ducatis...)

-Matt