Author Topic: Fitting on Pipe  (Read 3559 times)

oldsalt

• Bulleteer
on: May 11, 2008, 06:55:44 am
Got to thinking about the easiest [cheapest] way to get rid of the fitting on top of the header pipe.  I called my dealer near Yakima WA and his advice was to buy a
Gold Star" type pipe.  But, as previously said; I'm cheap.  I noticed that pipe clamps, for short money, are available but they wouldn't be long enough to cover the spot where the fitting was removed [and the hole welded up].  Decided to make a headed pipe clamp  that is considerably longer so that it would cover the sin.  Took all day to whittle it out of a block of aluminum but it is done and doesen't look too bad.  See pictures.  Also found that the discharge end of the header pipe has a baffle in it!  As you might guess that piece of junk didn't last long.  Heck of a job to grind off the welds.  Tomorrow I'll find out if it sounds any louder.   

[old attachment deleted by admin]
-2006 Sixty-5
-1941 Knuckle
-Lotza Mini Bikes
-67 Triumph 500
-46 Hiawatha
-67 Triumph 650

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 12:59:36 pm
Nice job there OS, it blends right in.  That baffle was the catalytic converter, you won't miss it.  Are you changing mufflers also? 
Looks like you got a little head gasket seepage going on too.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 02:32:40 pm
That's an extremely attractive finish you got there, OS.  How on earth did you manage to make that?  Anytime you feel the need to experiment and see if you can produce a 350 version............. ;D

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 05:27:45 pm
Yes, a mighty fine looking job on that clamp.  Good work! :)
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

oldsalt

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 05:03:05 am
While the big muffler was off the bike it was decided to open it up so that the neighbors would know I'm still alive.  The attached picture shows the muffler with a 5/8 inch diameter "rifle" drill laying on top of it.  When I was finished you can see light at the other end.  But with the catalitic converter/baffle thing removed from the header and the drilled muffler did not make it much louder.  Maybe a 3/4 inch drill?  The exhaust now has a definate "putt" now, but not enough to turn a cop's head.  Hafta work on that. 

Spitting Bull:  The finish was done with a "set-up wheel".  That's a regulat spiral sewed buffing wheel that has had glue put on it and rolled in aluminum oxide grit.  In this case #80 grit.  These wheels are often used in plating shops to remove scratches and pits before buffing.  Would I be iinterrested in making one for a 350?  It would take a full day to make another one.  They have 18 fins that are straight and then taper at the end.  Each fin requires 3 passes when it is in the index head...so 18 X 3 X 2 is 108 total.  Ya...I'll do it if they are unavailable elsewhere. 

Leonard:  I am, when I get the time after next August, going to make the Thumper into a Cafe Racer.  I found an industrial outfit that makes cones out of mild steel or stainless steel.  I expect to buy a 2" to 4" cone 24" long in 16 ga. stainless for about 1/3 or 1/4 what I have seen for a megaphone muffler.  And it will look a lot better that those.   I'm cheap and have the time and equipment to do the work necessary to make a really illegal megaphone.  Upswept will be proper.  The Lucus headlight will have to be purchased but the tank and seat and clip-ons can be made in the shop.

-2006 Sixty-5
-1941 Knuckle
-Lotza Mini Bikes
-67 Triumph 500
-46 Hiawatha
-67 Triumph 650

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 07:22:19 pm
Making your own muffler, now that is a good project.  I removed a 12" section from the stock muffler and drilled some holes in the baffles.  Sounds pretty good but I never used it, just wanted to see what it would sound like.
You can see what the inside of that big muffler looks like from the photos.

2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com