Author Topic: Signal Lights Quit Working  (Read 1961 times)

forrestt

• If it aint broke...
  • Scooter
on: June 08, 2012, 09:49:57 pm
Greetings All, The signal lights on my 2007 Bullet Classic have quit working. I checked the bulbs and they are OK. Is there a fuse located somewhere? Is it likely that the switch is broken? KC

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 07:56:58 pm
There's a flasher unit located in the left side tool box. I'd check that. They do go bad on occasion or simply fall off.
If you've never seen one, it's just a small plug in jammy with prongs set 90 degrees to each other. It plugs into a white connecter in there. Take it with you to Autozone or wherever and match it up to new one. They cost around $5.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

walken4life

• Bulleteer
  • 2002 Bullet Deluxe
Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 01:34:43 pm
On my 2002 Classic, the turn signal relay was under the seat on the kickstart side; though I don't know if they moved it in later years.  I just had to replace mine last week with a new one.  The signals themselves and the indicator light in the speedo all started staying on pretty solid and only flashing intermittently when either of the turn signals was engaged. 

The factory relay is a small black plastic block about the size of 3 pieces of bubbalicious gum.  I tried my local 'we sell/service all brands' motorcycle shop and new relay was $10.  They are pretty universal, just specify that you need a 2 prong 12-volt flasher relay.  Like ChuckD was saying, the two prongs are at 90-degree angles from each other and connect to an L-shaped wiring harness.  Installed new relay and signals are back to normal.

Good luck, and I hope yours is an easy fix as well.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 01:43:53 pm
First port of call would be to check the "bullet" connectors to the lamps. At the same time you can check for power and ground there. One stray connector plays havoc with the signals,good luck.

forrestt

• If it aint broke...
  • Scooter
Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 10:45:14 pm
Thanks Guys, I think I finally located it under the seat, bolted to the frame. It is a black box 1 5/16 x 1 3/8 x 3/4 with a brownish wire that has a darker stripe and a blue wire, the white plastic connector having prongs set at 90°. The box has written on it "Multilink, AC REGULATOR 12V".

walken4life

• Bulleteer
  • 2002 Bullet Deluxe
Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 03:11:41 pm
The fact that it says 12V AC on it makes it suspect to me.  The turn signals are DC.  There are two similar looking modules under the seat, assuming they are both the stock units.  Do you see another one that looks like this?  Mine was on the kickstart side of the bike, but yours may not be.

forrestt

• If it aint broke...
  • Scooter
Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 11:04:13 pm
Thanks for the word of caution.
All that I see is the box that I described and two larger sized voltage regulators mounted on the same part of the frame. If this isn't it then they have hidden it very well. I have looked in the headlamp housing, both tool boxes, under the seat below the voltage regulators, under the fuel tank and under the rear fender; maybe it's in the tailpipe  ???

forrestt

• If it aint broke...
  • Scooter
Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 12:47:44 am
An interesting turn of events with a happy ending.
First of all I want to thank each of you guys for your help without which my Enfield Bullet would still be collecting dust.
Before my last post I checked all of the connections and each light bulb separately, only to find them all working. Then I removed what I thought was the flasher, took it to my personal auto parts technician and purchased a new flasher although he did tell me that he did not think what I removed was a flasher. When I got home I decided to first look at the Royal Enfield forum for any new input. I read walken4life's response and decided to have another look. Armed with the information about the shape of the connector I found an unused connector in that shape which matched perfectly with my new flasher and the wires were the color that I had originally looked for. I reconnected the voltage regulator and installed the new flasher and now the signal lights are working again. I secured the new flasher to the wiring harness with electrical tape so that it doesn't fall off like the original one did. Finally  :) :) :) THANKS GUYS!

walken4life

• Bulleteer
  • 2002 Bullet Deluxe
Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 03:08:39 pm
Glad to hear you got it sorted out, forrestt.  The original flasher unit on mine was attached to a small metal plate which was bolted to the cross bar under the seat.  I am guessing the bolt on yours came out and the flasher dangled and flopped around for a while before falling off entirely.

My new flasher I attached to the old bracket with a combination of sticky-backed velcro and an elastic hair tie.  It is not going anywhere, either.

While I was out taking this picture earlier a guy asked if he could take a picture of my bike.  Also asked me if I restored it myself.  Enfields are always a conversation starter.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 08:49:56 pm by walken4life »