Author Topic: need help in Texas  (Read 3998 times)

sjbiat

• Bulleteer
on: June 06, 2012, 10:35:08 pm
I have watched this forum for a while, but I haven't written much because I haven't had questions (or answers) until now.  From time to time the bike does not respond to the starter button.  Lights dim, but no starter.  I replaced the battery but still have the problem, and in fact I had to get towed home today.  My experience is that problems like that are caused by bad connections.  Any thoughts where to look?

But serious complication.  While pushing it around I stomped on the gear shift (a little harder than usual) and it broke.  The shaft is loose now and it seems disengaged.

Still worse: My local dealer stopped carrying REs.  They sent me to another dealer who is a service center.  But they have given up REs because it is too hard to get parts.  The nearest dealer is not quite a long way away.

Advice will be very welcome!

Stephan in Austin
stephan
09 C5 with Cozy sidecar now
formerly
97 Motoguzzi
94/02 Ural
85 BMW R80
64 BMW R60/Hollandia/Steib
61 BMW R69/Watsonian
60 Pugeot

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 11:03:27 pm
I can't speak for the shifter but for the starter it sounds like the starter "solenoid".  What model do you have?  good luck,

Samgar
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

sjbiat

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 12:33:48 am
Its a C5, 2009.  Jump starting didn't help.  But now that the shifter is broken, I can't get into neutral, so I can't trouble shoot it further. :'(

SB
stephan
formerly
97 Motoguzzi
94/02 Ural
85 BMW R80
61 BMW R69/Watsonian
60 Pugeot

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 12:40:08 am
Are you handy?  You might want to pull the shift lever and remove the left side cover.  If you don't want to drain the oil you can lean the bike to the right so it won't flow out.

I suspect things will be ok in there but I think the shifter rod goes through to the right side where it engages the transmission.  There was a thread sometime back where a guy and his daughter were on a trip and the shifter went limp.  The engaging lever at the end of the rod had bent.  Some nice guys in a Harley type shop opened it up, diagnosed it, bent it back, and got it working again.

If you don't want to probe the depths yourself I'd say find the nearest independent old bike shop, preferably Brit bike but Japanese is fine too.  Talk to the oldest, scruffiest, crankiest mechanic there and see if he thinks he can help.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 12:59:01 am
You don't want to take off the left side cover. There's nothing there. All the mechanism is on the right side. The shifter shaft goes through to this side and has a little arm on it that engages a fork on a vertical shaft that that has an arm that goes into the gearbox, that operates a fork that moves the shifter dog plate. The girl that crashed had popped the little arm on the shifter shaft out of the fork, so there was no engagement. That one is a pretty fix. However if the problem goes inside the gearbox, that is an engine teardown.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 01:07:23 am
Thanks for the clarification Bare :)

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 01:53:42 am
Is it just the shift pedal/lever that broke off or something inside?  If it's the pedal lever only order a new one directly from nfield gear and just use some vice grips to put it in neutral while you work on the starting issue. The starter solenoid has been discussed a lot and you can replace it with a universal part from any parts store. 

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,12442.msg138329.html#msg138329

The solenoid has been discussed before so you could pull up some more info from a search but this has the gist of what's been discussed.

sjbiat

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 04:15:34 am
No its not the lever arm.  Its the whole shaft that is loose.  It will slide out (until it hits the foot peg).  I gather once I take the RHS cover off, it will be fairly obvious what I need to do?  Per Snidal instructions, I'll go ahead and order the gaskets, but I won't have time to do the work until the weekend.  I'll keep y'all posted.  Thanks. SB
stephan
formerly
97 Motoguzzi
94/02 Ural
85 BMW R80
61 BMW R69/Watsonian
60 Pugeot

sjbiat

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 04:49:46 am
Actually this brings up the next question.  Now that I no longer have a local dealer.  Are there dealers who specialize in filling mail order parts orders?
stephan
formerly
97 Motoguzzi
94/02 Ural
85 BMW R80
61 BMW R69/Watsonian
60 Pugeot

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 05:06:37 am
Just call nfield gear.  It's the importer's direct parts and accessories retailer.  It's always nice to support the dealer but since you don't have a local dealer you can just go right to the source unless they want to hook you up with a different dealer for warranty work.

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 05:15:21 am
sjbiat
Rather than using their web address to order parts you will have MUCH better luck if you call them.  Their web site sometimes leaves a bit to be desired.

Their phone number is 1-800-358-0938
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 06:54:27 am
There is a 10,000 mile service kit that will probably have all the gaskets you will need.  I would highly recommend ordering a UCE service manual while your at it since you no longer have close dealer support.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 07:53:39 am
The bike mentioned above (the girl and her dad) has similar issues to yours, the shifter moved in and out about an inch:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,11462.0.html

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 02:31:50 pm
That's a good question..parts. What a pain in the ass. Hitchcock's online catalog is just next to useless for UCE stuff. I've been fortunate my dealer orders the very few parts I've needed with no problems. (exhaust gaskets, oil filters)
While you are at it, order a solenoid..you'll need it. Order a spare too...I would plus they're cheep.

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 02:41:47 pm
On another note: The above shift lever issue might well have been prevented by a good butterfly bar. I have one on mine and I can tell ya..it's saved me some turn signal damage and engine scuffs. Who hasn't got off the bike at least once without making sure the kick stand was all the way down? Me..that's who! Plus, being it's olive drab, I can touch up the bar..pretty hard to touch up scuffed shiny engine bits!