Author Topic: Super Factory Service Manual Question  (Read 3789 times)

dick_deck

• Scooter
on: June 06, 2012, 10:03:21 pm
Hey all, I just got my "Super Factory Service Manual" and I have to say, it's not very super at all. Keep in mind as I rant that I am a novice mechanic just trying to do my first maintenance.

There are small annoyances, like the bad English... whatever, I was aware of who makes my bike. But what really bothers me is my inability to find service information. The vast majority of the book seems to be "here are the parts, and this is how they come out."

Okaaaaaay. But WHY am I taking these out again?

In my '86 Honda Magna Clymer manual there was a comprehensive Table of Contents which clearly listed the sub-sections of each chapter so I could easily find the repair/maintenance action I was looking for. The SFSM just lists the section of the bike the parts are in for the most part. (I did find the common maintenance section, which was of the most help, but spent most of my time flipping pages and scanning for the key word I was looking for.)

Before I return this $80 fully comprehensive parts catalogue, is this as good as it gets? Is there something better?

Annnnd as long as you've read this far... here's what I couldn't find:

HT Lead (I) - What is it? And what am I looking for when I inspect it?
Engine Sump Filter (C) - What and where?
Spoke Tightness (I) - What am I looking for when I inspect these?
Hand Levers Pivot (L) - What is this?

Thanks in advance for your help and understanding! Cheers!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 10:42:32 pm
That's how I feel about it too, and I'm far from a novice mechanic.  It seems aimed at professional mechanics who already knows what they are doing and why, and just need some specifics.  Additionally it skips some things entirely, like taking apart C5 forks.  Then there are things like the TPS, where it gives you the voltage spec but nothing else.  On that one I knew what I was doing but it lacks both instructions on how to set it and why.

I got the Pete Snidal manual for the UCE.  It's got good stuff on really basic things but not much beyond that.  His manual for the older bikes is a gem but the UCE one dosen't have nearly that depth.

There are the DVDs that they sold on NField Gear, the shop instructions for dealers.  They were $100 or so and cover lots more than any manual. 

You may want to get a general moto maintenance manual, not specific to any model.  There are a few out there.  You can use the two together to figure out basic stuff.  Then when you get into very RE/UCE specific stuff give a shout here.  Someone can probably talk you through it.

Scott

Ayers Garage

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 10:58:46 pm
HT lead is your spark plug wire

Sump filter is the little screen in the bottom of the engine that catches larger debris in the oil. It's above the little aluminum plate that is held onto the engine by two small bolts which take an 8mm size tool to remove.

Spoke tension. I can't help much there. I ring them with a tool and check for ones that don't sound like the rest of them

Hand lever pivots are the bolts which the front brake and clutch levers pivot on. They mount the levers to the clutch lever perch (left side) and the front master cylinder (right side)

Royal Enfield. Speed limits aren't a restriction to me, they're a goal !

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 11:13:23 pm
I got the Pete Snidal manual for the UCE.  It's got good stuff on really basic things but not much beyond that.  His manual for the older bikes is a gem but the UCE one dosen't have nearly that depth.

+1
The Snidal CD is better than nothing, but not an order of magnitude better.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 11:14:21 pm

...Before I return this $80 fully comprehensive parts catalogue, is this as good as it gets?...

I can guarantee as soon as you return it you will need it for the information it contains.
That's how things work in this world.  ;D

IMO, you would be wise to hang onto it now that you already have it.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 12:46:30 am
Yeah, it's not the best, I have been thoroughly disgusted with it occasionally. I could go over all the reasons why, but I didn't have that much time. It doesn't even tell you what light bulbs go where.
Is it  worth $80? not in my mind, but I keeping mine until something better comes along. I have Pete's, that one is kind of disappointing, too. I still haven't been able to figure out what the clutch push(Pull?)rod actuates. I have found some useful stuff in it.
I guess I'll have to wait until I need to take one apart and figure it out myself. Usually that's the best way anyway!
As far as the spoke tuning goes, run a wrench around the wheel bouncing off the spokes. the should have about the same ring tone. If one is flat, it need to be tightened until it sounds like the rest. Kinda like tuning a piano.
Bare

Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 12:57:20 am
And take the air out of the tire before you adjust spokes, otherwise you might rip the tube.

Scott

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 01:13:45 am
Learning to work on any mechanical device(motorcycle in our case) is a skill that can take time and patience to achieve the above average level.

The "Super manuals" are written in British Indian English. These books are for the experienced technician, but none the less very helpful with pictures and tools, and some sibilance of an orderly component tear down.

May I recommend this book?
 http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/maintenance-repair/manuals/haynes-motorcycle-basics-techbook.html

I was able to find this at my local library. It is very helpful and easy to read . The author assumes you are a new mechanic.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

dick_deck

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 01:27:22 pm
Wow! Thanks for all the advice! I'm relieved that I am not the only one. I thought I just didn't "get it".

I'll hold onto the manual and see about getting some of the others resources. So far it has really only been critical for when I want to fix something RIGHT NOW. This forum seems to respond incredibly fast, and I have yet to see anyone go without help.

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 06:24:06 pm
Are you guys forgetting the owners manual? My god what a mess. Just try to decipher the maintenance schedule and if you do figure it out you are either a genius or are employed in the secret service deciphering secret codes for a living. You expected something different from the "advanced"version? :-[
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 06:39:47 pm
I'm still trying to figure out if "trafficator" and "manual bistarter" are real English words in India or just something they put in the manual to make us sound silly when we say them :)

kodai

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 06:50:55 pm
 Sounds like something  Right up S.B.'s  alley.  anyone ready to put forth a nomination , to have him write a real service book ?

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 08:31:27 pm
I kind of like the "cultural experience" that one gets with owning a Royal Enfield.  I knew nothing about Indian culture and had no Indian friends before my Enfield ownership and I'm making new connections and discoveries left and right and I think that it kind of started at the owners manual.  If it were me I'd have the manual include illustrations of dirt roads in India and instructions for riding your Enfield with a saree and such.  In other words, Enfield ownership is an adventure, get over it, or better yet, relish it!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 09:05:15 pm
I agree BUT that doesn't help a frustrated aspiring mechanic whose bike isn't running right ;)

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 09:40:05 pm
True, true.  A general shop manual to supplement the Enfield manual should help things a bit.  There's nothing too exotic about the UCE.  Sometimes even a parts diagram like the one included in the Enfield shop manual is priceless.  I found this video to be very helpful even tho it's in Spanish and parts of it are sped up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyIgEmRfd8E