Author Topic: Total Newbie With Some Questions  (Read 7315 times)

McDude

• Scooter
on: June 06, 2012, 08:32:46 pm
Hi guys,

I've been lurking on this forum for over a year. I'm 24 and I just graduated with my bachelor's degree in nursing. I've been in love with Royal Enfields for years, ever since I saw one when doing an image search on Google for Retro motorcycles a couple years ago. For some reason, I am totally drawn to anything old school. I finally have the means to get my dream bike, and the Enfields are calling my name.

I've been riding dirt bikes since I was 7, when my dad got me a honda 50, so I feel pretty confident in my ability to ride. I also plan on taking a motorcycle class through the local community college soon to learn defensive driving skills for driving a road bike.

Through my research, I've learned that it takes some ability to keep up on maintenance on these bikes. That's not a problem for me. I've got a jeep wrangler with 140K miles on it, and I do most of the maintenance on it myself. Anything I'm not familiar with, my dad and uncle help me with, so I don't have any reservations in that aspect. Enough background on me, though.

I really want a black and chrome C5. However, my dad thinks I would be better off getting a used Harley. Thing is, I'm not a fan of Harley's. I don't like how common they are, and the look of them just doesn't speak to me. By the way, I hate crotch rockets. Sporty bikes are not my thing at all. The RE would be my daily driver for commuting to work and riding around for fun. My question is, would the RE be reliable enough for me. I don't mind the regular maintenance, but I don't want a bike that is going to need me to buy new parts once a month. The closest dealer to me is a couple hours away.

My second question is, what is the difference between the C5 classic and C5 deluxe? I know the deluxe has a larger front wheel. What else is different? Having never seen one in person, it is hard for me to gauge subtle differences between these models from pictures alone. Is one better than the other at higher speeds? I will have about a five mile stretch of interstate that is pretty much unavoidable from where I live to where I will be working.

Anyways, I appreciate any input I can get. Just looking forward to hearing from those of you who have more experience with the RE's.

Thanks in advance

-Dan

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 08:55:08 pm
Welcome to the forum! I am hoping that you will stick with your plan to get a Royal Enfield motorcycle. It sounds like you have the correct mind set to be the proud owner of one of these fine bikes! Just a reminder that if you get a chrome model it will take a bit of extra effort to keep it up to snuff. A dirty chrome model looks, well, just dirty! I have a military and have yet to wash it after owning it for a year and the dirt that is accumulating on it adds to the patina! As far as the differences of the different models I would suggest that you go down to your loal RE dealer and have them point out what the differences are. To each his own I always say. Have fun with your new bike when you get it and keep us up on your experiences!
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

McDude

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 10:20:06 pm
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I'm 5' 10" and 215 lbs, so I don't mind a shorter bike if that's the only difference between C5 models.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 11:34:57 pm
McDude
Welcome to the forum. :)

I can only speak for myself but I've owned my 2011 G5 Deluxe for a little over a year and have put 5600 miles on it.
I ride it almost every day of the year and it has never refused to start or run dependably.
I would guess my average speed has been about 50 mph but at least 750 miles have been at speeds of 65 mph.

In the back of my mind I've been mulling over the idea of buying a new Triumph Bonneville saying to myself, "When the RE starts having some real problems that will be a good excuse to get the Bonnie."
So far my RE hasn't given me a problem except for the low fuel level warning indicator quitting and the original drive chain getting sloppy.

This brings us to the Harley.
Not that I have anything against Harleys but a used bike of any kind  can always have problems.  With a Harley, any problem is an expensive problem.  BMW's also have this "expensive to fix it" problem.

Don't forget the fuel mileage.
The 500cc RE's burn regular pump gas (which some Harleys don't like) and they get around 75 mpg (US gallons).  The Harley will be doing good to get over 45.

I am biased but I vote for the Royal Enfield.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 12:33:38 am
No votes for Hardleys from me. I've owned about 50 bikes in the last 50 years starting out with English Thumpers, and had a few Japanese thumpers a lot of dirt bikes, (I raced for 25 years.) then got into the Sportbike mode wtih a little road racing and track days thrown in. and now back to the old English thumper. Never owned a Hardley, couldn't handle the "lifestyle." I have had more fun on this RE than I've had on anything in years. I'll have 10,000 miles on it tomorrow, and I have had one failure. The fuel light burned out the other day. The drive chain is terrible and will need replacing.
Hte bottom is that they are great reliable, fun and cheap machines to operate. The parts are very inexpensive compared to anything else. Tires are cheap, with mileage running 70 mpg (my bikes average over the last 6000 miles, after my last bike, I feel like I'm paying $2.00 a gallon.
As far as maintenance and people working on their bikes, they are working on them because it's fun. Everything is easy to get to and just invites fiddling fingers. the real maintenance is no worse than any other bike! And you can save a ton of money by doing the jobs yourself as opposed to having to take it to a shop for maintenance. The bike is a great education opportunity to learn about such machines. But as I say, the hihg maintenance these guys on the forum sound like it has is beacause they choose to do it, it is not required.
As for the difference between the C5s, the Classic and Deluxe, teh Classic is pained, the Deluxe ahs a lot of chrome, the Military has a flat camouflage paint job. That is all the difference. The 19" wheels come on the 2012 Special, which I gather is the Standard 2012 now. The forks have the axle moved back to increase the trail and add a bit more stability to them. Again, all else is the same. 2010 and early 2011 C5s didn't have kickstarters, but they are standard now.
Get the Enfield, you will find it far more enjoyable than the Hardley.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

McDude

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 03:01:09 am
Thanks for the replies, guys. Hearing from those of you with some road time with these bikes is making me a lot more confident in my decision. One thing that I have read is about the electrical system of the bike shorting. Is this common? Should I go through and reinforce the the wiring with electrical tape right off the bat to prevent any problems?

Finally, what is the resale like on these. I don't see myself ever getting rid of it, but a big reason my dad said I should get a harley was because they have a high resale.

I really want the enfield. I just want to have all my bases covered when discussing this with my parents. 

PS: is there  a way to not have to post the verification letters in the picture and verification question each time I post a reply?

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 03:36:42 am
You can check out Davids Blasco's website for what people are listing used bikes for.  Not what they're getting mind you, but what they're listing.  I think the resale is good, at least as good as a Harley, but you might have to wait a little longer to find a buyer because the market for these bikes is a small niche.

You have to go with your gut when choosing a bike.  It's not a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord- or just transportation,  It's a motorcycle and it's fun and if you're not in love with it you won't get the full enjoyment out of your biking experience.  On the other hand, I am one of the rare people who had problems my coworkers were quick to rub my nose in the fact that I bought a bike that's made in India and not a Honda, whether that point was valid or not!  In the end, Royal Enfield fixed it and they nay sayers aren't having as fun as I'm having on my bike!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 05:23:49 am
McDude:
as jartist mentioned the new UCE style RE's seem to hold their value pretty good but the number of people who would want one is a lot less than the number who want Harleys.

As for the electrical wiring, yes, it is a very good idea to check it out shortly after you get your bike.

I found several places where the wiring was dangerously close to sharp metal edges and its only protection was some black electrical tape that was wrapped around it.
I made some short sleeves out of vinyl tubing by slitting it lengthwise and putting the wires inside it for those areas where sharp metal edges are near.
Also, check out the wires that are running back to the rear lights.
Occasionally the attachment that is supposed to keep these wires tucked in against the rear fender isn't properly attached to the wires.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 07:14:28 am
From what I hear the REs are at least as reliable as most Harleys.  Resale is a tough question.  Checking the local classifieds I frequently see Sportsters (883s and 1200s) selling in the $3500-5000 range which is a common range for used UCE (2009+) Royal Enfields.  I consider the REs highway capable meaning it meets the minimum requirements to get on the highway.  However if I did a lot of freeway riding with a lot of fast traffic, I would want something bigger than a 500cc bike so I would have the power to get out of the way when needed.  I'm 220 lbs. and had my C5 Classic up to 60 mph on the highway last night and didn't feel like it had much left in it.  I imagine it would continue to creep up to its maximum speed, but I didn't see myself whipping around passing other cars (kind of like driving an old Volkswagen Beetle).  Handling wise it was very stable.

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 11:36:51 am
Bic or Parker?
Fresh ingredients or frozen TV dinner?
Brewed coffee or Nescaffe?
Levi 501's or grey terylene slacks?
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 01:19:36 pm
Around here the highways are typically 4 lanes in each direction and moving at 15-80mph depending on the time of day; not exactly Los Angeles, but far from two lane black top.  If your road situation is different, the RE may be better suited.

dick_deck

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 01:37:52 pm
If I may throw in here, the Black and Chrome looks really good in the online photos, but in person it is F****G GORGEOUS! I recently entered mine into a company car show. Didn't win anything, but man did I get a lot of compliments and questions.

The biggest selling point to me was that Royal Enfields are unique. You just don't see many around. I almost fell off my bike when I saw an '09 C5 Military at a gas station 2 blocks from my house. (We exchanged info, btw :) )

If you do get a Royal Enfield, I highly recommend getting the EFI Silencer ASAP. It gives the bike a much throatier sound, and for mine made it backfire less. That said a Harley will still drown you out.

I would love to also own a Harley, but given only one choice you can see the decision I made. Either way, I imagine you will love your new ride, so don't worry too much. They are both good brands.

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 01:59:12 pm
I, myself , could care less if I EVER owned a HD. Overpriced, and as far as I'm concerned they aren't super practical..way too much crap to clean! I'm sure they are as reliable as anything.
I've ridden bikes of various sorts for 35 years and I have to say the RE I have (2009 G-5 Military) is as fun as anything I've owned. As Jay Leno once observed, not very many bikes use their entire horsepower curve like a good thumper...I agree. If you intend to use is as a work a day ride, on Interstate, stay away...thumpers aren't for you. But if you intend to enjoy the scenery, and have a bike that you can throw around curves with a certain aplomb, RE is for you. AND you can still do your own maintenance. I'll never sell mine. As far as reliability goes...run a  wrench over the nuts a couple times a year and change the oil and keep the chain tight and lubed. Simple. EFI made ALL the difference in the UCE...and you can't beat the 70mpg..

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 03:40:30 pm
As you can tell from all these post's, we owners of a RE motorcycle are completely satisfied with our choice to get one. I too contemplated whether to get an "Indian made bike" and let me say that the quality is not what you will find in any other bikes made in this era. When I say quality I'm talking about the almost complete absence of plastic. Take a look at any modern bike and you will be hard pressed to see the actual engine through all the plastic coverings, shrouds, etc.
Also, don't forget that this is not a bike meant to cruise on a highway. I've had a few short stints getting to a final a back road that I couldn't reach in any other way and boy was I glad to get back on some slower roads. These bikes hum along below 50 mph with no problem but get 60 mph and above and your will need to reconsider having any more children as your nuts will be vibrated right up to your thorax! Yes they vibrate that much at high speed, it's a single after all!
Also, expect to be asked a lot of questions, especially this one, "what year is that thing?", and, "what make is that?". I now tell people that it's a 1953 and point to the tank that says Royal Enfield on it. Then I drive happily away and they go home and tell their friends that they just saw a refurbished 1953 English bike that sure looked sweet and must have cost a mint to restore. I'm bad, I know. ;D
Just go out and get one of these things. Don't listen to your parents and don't listen to us, but rely in your heart to get the bike that's right for you. Period!
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 04:01:22 pm
Yep, the Royal Enfield is a serious "chick magnet".
Guaranteed to get you laid at any MODS -vs- Rockers reunion.
Leave the Vespa at home with your parents.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5