Author Topic: K and N filter...  (Read 4496 times)

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
on: June 06, 2012, 03:27:27 pm
So, my standard filter (2009 G-5) was finally cruddy enough to merit replacement..so I went with the K and N cone..however...the thing didn't come with cleaning instructions or use instructions either. Some of my buds swear it needs to be "prepped" before use. I have noticed that idle in traffic is like a roller coaster now..up and down , up and down. Nothing terrible annoying but noticeable. Thoughts?

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 03:41:40 pm
 The K&N filter is very easy to prep and maintain. You can find complete instructions on oiling and cleaning on their website.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 04:32:32 pm
If you still have the Bosch spark plug switch to the NGK, that should stabilize your idle.

Scott

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 04:35:01 pm
hunting at idle seems to be a funtion of the O2 sensor cooling off at low RPM.  Though, spark plug replacement has become a common fix.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

agram

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 06:23:40 pm
I always thought that K&Ns came ready to go. As confirmed by the bit of paper my filter came with saying that it was already oiled and just needed to be fitted.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 08:11:20 pm
They are ready to go, but for cleaning and reoiling instructions, they are on the Cleaner and Oil bottles.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 08:19:51 pm
They are ready to go, but for cleaning and reoiling instructions, they are on the Cleaner and Oil bottles.
Bare
+1...Just bought the K and N for my 10 C5 and was preoiled and ready to go. Did seem that the cumpooter was hunting for awhile but seems to have leveled out..still waiting for my upswept pipe to finish her off.

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 08:32:15 pm
Yeah I did the plug swop too...the old Bosch was skipping at 70 and up. It started hunting for idle right about then.

dick_deck

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 04:11:43 pm
When I was trying to get my K&N in, I couldn't get the filter to stay put while I placed the metal cap on and screwed down the wingnut. I ended up having to put a few dots of gorilla glue on the filter and gluing it to the cap (the previous filter seemed to have the same treatment.)

Just thought I should mention it in case your filter slipped while installing it. Not sure if this would cause problems.

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
  • Your only as old as you feel
Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 04:22:59 pm
The metal cap fits inside the lip of the bigger end of the filter, the lip will hold it in place while you put everything back together. I didn't put the plactic inner cover back on my C5, it wouldn't fit without smashing the filter somehow. My metal airbox lid has a very tight fit, I tested it with a hose for openings and it was completely dry inside, figured that was good enough for me.
'11 C5 Military

BrashRooster

• Bulleteer
  • Yeah I stepped in it.
Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 03:27:02 am
So is there any increase in performance with the K&N that replaces the stock filter? Probably not noticeable with a stock pipe though right?
Signature

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 03:31:50 am
I switched to the K&N early in my break-in period and it seemed like the computer had to relearn to adjust to the greater air flow.  After a couple rides, no more issues.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 04:23:10 am
You can hear it sucking more air than the stock one, must be something to that.
On the other hand, there are a lot of different K&Ns being installed on Enfields, so it's kinda hard to make direct comparison. I have one that is a BMW air cleaner. It's tubular, no taper. I've seen several others, not necessarily sure what they are from.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 05:02:36 am
The minimal diameter ones that fit right on the throttle body probably don't really breathe much better than a standard filter in the airbox.   However, a K&N style oiled gauze filter that directly replaces the airbox element (same physical dimensions) is going to breathe much easier !
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 05:19:56 am
I bought and installed the K&N filter that is made specifically for the UCE powered bikes and installed it in the air filter compartment.

Ignoring the first time when I had overoiled it before installing it and speaking of the second time after totally cleaning it and reinstalling it I can honestly say I felt the performance was slightly less than the stock paper air filter.
I removed the K&N and went back to the original paper filter.

This decrease in performance is just my opinion and I don't have any hard evidence, just the feel of my butt and the fact that the fuel mileage dropped about 4 mpg.

My guess for the reason the performance decline in my G5 is the K&N filter is noticeably larger in diameter and I suspect it is blocking off some of the air into the connection to the throttle body.
It may work better in the C model bikes.

As a side note, I just replaced my air filter with a new paper OEM filter.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary