Author Topic: Sprag clutch replacement instructions  (Read 1851 times)

AwL

• Scooter
on: July 11, 2013, 05:52:01 pm
Are there step by step instructions for sprag clutch replacment on  the web?  2009 G5.  Have pdf of "export manual" but that shows full engine disassembly not just how to replace sprag. 

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 08:45:08 pm
I just had mine replaced.  You need to remove the clutch in order to do it.  Be careful with reassembly.  The dealer who did mine broke the tip off of the main shaft where the clutch attaches.  None too pleased.  It seems pretty straight forward.

Good luck.

Samgar
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

whoguy

• Scooter
  • Hi... I love all things Beautiful...
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 11:49:30 pm
This is the steps when I did mine.

1. Empty engine oil.
2. Take left footpeg off.
3. Take clutch cable off.
4. Take off gear shifter peg.
5. Undo all bolts retaining left side cover. Keep the bolts in correct order and placement.
6. Use a large screw driver and piece of wood to pry off cover using the two tabs on the cover... one is located near the clutch cable adjustment bolt, the other on the lower right side when looking straight at the cover.
7. Use a piece of wood and rag to wedge between the primary drive sprocket and clutch teeths to stop them both from spinning. Be careful not to break any teeth!!!
8. Undo the primary drive sprocket bolt (mine was anticlockwise to undo... the newer models are clockwise I believe).
9. Undo the clutch retaining bolt (mine was anticlockwise to undo). The bolt may be hidden if grease has made the washer stick to the top of the clutch hole... just use your finger to pull it off!!!
10. Undo and remove the primary chain tensioner from the bottom of engine.
11. Pull both primary drive sprocket and clutch off together with the primary chain... they slide out easily and smoothly.
12. You can now remove the sprag clutch from the primary drive sprocket... or if you had bought the whole primary drive and sprag assembly, just replace the whole primary drive sprocket with the sprag already in it.

Reassemble in reverse order of above.... just make sure you put plenty of locktite on primary drive retaining bolt!!! I used blue locktite. I also used a new side cover gasket and grease...the factory only used gasket maker sealant.

One tip, there is a dowl like metal thing with protruding semi circle thing, make sure you turn the semi circle so the cover can go back on... the dowel thing is actually the axle for the starter motor gears!!!

Simple really.... hope it helps.... sorry for my less than technical nouns used.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 11:52:01 pm by whoguy »
To ride or not to ride... That is the question!

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 12:29:42 am
You did get the names of the doohicky and thingamabob wrong, but otherwise I give you an A+!   ;D
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 12:35:09 am
Is CMW still the only source of the sprag clutch?  $300??
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

AwL

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 04:11:23 pm
Thank you all for the replys and great information, especially "whoguy" for the step by step process.  Sprag was in bits and pieces, new sprag clutch assembly ordered.  Races where sprag sits were scored so got whole new assembly - spendy but got to do it.   My 2009 G5 left cover had a gasket but now they recommend using "gray loctite gasket maker" instead.  Al
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 04:26:51 am by AwL »