Author Topic: spark plug gap  (Read 12029 times)

bikerboo

• Scooter
  • 2011 Classic
on: May 31, 2012, 08:07:28 pm
Hi Guys,
 Fed up with my Bosch plugs which have come as standard on my 2011 Classic,so have taken advice of forum members and ordered NGK BPR 6ES.Could someone please tell me the correct spark plug gap for them?Thanks Boo.

Adventure before dementia

Ayers Garage

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 08:42:11 pm
On my bike, there is a sticker inside the air cleaner housing lid. I think it's .7-.8mm if I remember correctly.
Royal Enfield. Speed limits aren't a restriction to me, they're a goal !

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 08:44:44 pm
.028" (.7mm) is where I keep mine.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

bikerboo

• Scooter
  • 2011 Classic
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 08:55:48 pm
Thanks Lads,I know its .7-.8 for the Bosch but wasn't sure if it was different for the NGK.Hopefully now it will be all systems go and bye bye to sooty plugs.Had a lot of problems earlier and hoped that they were all sorted out after a new efi unit and wiring loom.
 Oh and has anyone else had a problem with their kickstart?Have been told by dealer to only use in an emergency as bike has been back twice with floppy kickstart.Apparently they are not the best of design! :o....Cheers,Boo

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 09:40:22 pm
Floppy kickstart?  Kickstarting should be no problem.  Rotate engine with the kicker just past the hard point (past TDC) with the engine in neutral, don't pull the clutch.  Then let her rip! I bent a kick lever by starting my kick at the hard point (TDC) but no problems now with the new technique.

bikerboo

• Scooter
  • 2011 Classic
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 11:06:51 am
Hi J,no probs with kickstarting  as such but the kickstart wouldn't spring back.Cast bit inside was shattered,probably on manufacture.They didn't replace the spring which was probably buggered so had reocurrence  after I had used kickstart a few times.Dealer did ask why I used the kickstart anyway as have e/s but I like to keep in practice.Will keep it for emergencies from now on as advised.I have found it easy enough to start using the kickstart.Beats kicking over a Norton.Now that was hard work. ;)Boo

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 01:01:29 pm
I still get sooty plugs with the NGK, especially on short rides at low revs around town, but the NGK helps with a few other issues like rough idle.

I am starting to suspect the occasional report of a UCE fouling plugs a lot may have more to do with crap fouling the injector than anything else.

As for kickstart, I use it all the time with no problems, definitely nothing has broken. Do you make sure you find TDC before kicking ? Because its a big single, if you just kick randomly without easing past TDC it puts a lot of stress on the mechanism.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 01:08:03 pm by GlennF »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 07:23:09 pm
There are two heat ranges for the NGK that we can use on this bike, 6 and 7.  8 was tried by someone but was too cool sooted up really badly.  I didn't like 6, came out a little too white so went with the cooler 7.  I suppose you could try 5 too but also check your TPS voltage, it may be set too rich.

Scott

bikerboo

• Scooter
  • 2011 Classic
Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 09:36:51 pm
Eh? tps voltage??? whats that then?More stuff for me to worry about??? Boo

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 10:14:08 pm
TPS = Throttle position sensor.  It's a littl item that sits on the pivot of the throttle butterfly and tells the ECU the current angle of the throttle.  It's just a variable resistor really.  Anyway, that should be set to 0.6V +/- 0.2V.  Easiest to measure at the ECU connections.  Turn ignition on, lights off (or disconnect headlight), and snap the throttle a few times to make sure it's closed.  Then measure the voltage.  It should be pretty close to 0.6V.  If it's over 0.7V that might cause a rich condition, especially if you mostly putter about at the low end of the throttle. 

I forget exactly which lines into the ECU connect to the TPS, but it's in the wiring diagram.  If this sounds excessively confusing, just ask your dealer to check it ;)

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 11:46:33 pm
Here is one of Singhg5's videos that shows you exactly how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiX8oFtYZls

Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 11:57:19 pm
Ah yes!  Singh is a better communicator than I am :)

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 01:41:50 am
While watching Singh's video and reading the comments I was reminded that this TPS video is only applicable to the computer controlled fuel injected models.

The carbonated models sold in India also have a TPS but it only controls the ignition advance.
Those who own one of these carbonated models need to use a different method to set up their TPS.
I am not very familiar with these switches but I think that setting them up has to do with adjusting them so that a yellow stripe on them is visible with the throttle wide open.  (I might be wrong about this so I recommend checking the service manual for the proper method.)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

bikerboo

• Scooter
  • 2011 Classic
Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 12:44:24 pm
Hi All,many thanks,that youtube vid was brilliant,Am off to buy a voltmeter so I can do it myself.I find the more I know the less I really do know if that makes any sense.Still, am finding that owning RE is a steep learning curve and at least I have all you guys out there to ask. ;)Boo

trimleyman

• Bulleteer
  • 1953 or 2011.
Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 01:05:51 am
Just replaced the Bosch plug in my '11 G5 with and NGK BPR 7ES . I was amazed at the improvement in overall performance . Idle was stable  and it revs more freely. Has made it even more fun to ride.
Now 2011 Royal Enfield G5 and just added 2014 Continental GT and latest 2015 Ducati 803 Scrambler Urban Enduro
Then:-
1978 Ducati 900 GTES
1969 Ducati 350 Desmo Racer
1972 Mototrans Ducati 250 24 Horas
1965 Triumph Tiger Cub 200
1967 BSA Bantum