Author Topic: 'S' Cams  (Read 12675 times)

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
on: May 31, 2012, 11:15:27 am
Due to a few vague enquiries about any more of these being available, I wish to guage interest for a possible repeat batch of these being made. They work well in the AVL engines and also the 'Iron' engines.
 Anyone interested, please P.M. me and we can see where it goes.
 B.W.

EnfieldJake

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 03:23:23 pm
P.M. Sent. If not received please let me know. Thanks!

bedlam

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 10:09:19 am
I was lucky enough to pick up the last of the previous batch of these cams and I can wholeheartedly recommend them. They completely transform the way the power is delivered, allowing the motor to rev freely to over 7000rpm. I've got them fitted to a standard engine with a free-flowing exhaust and a flat-slide Mikuni TM32 carb and saw 23bhp @ 5000 rpm at the back wheel on a lean main jet. Significantly, the power curve was still rising when we  stopped (we were really only checking the jetting so I'd asked the dyno operator not to go over 5000. I forgot to tell him to take it all the way for the power run so he stopped early!), so with the right jetting and a full run, there's more to come. That's with the standard piston and compression ratio, and a fairly conservatively-sized carb.

The engine is easy to start, idles very well - better than on the standard cams - and really well-mannered. Although the cam allows the motor to rev, it doesn't compromise the performance lower down so I don't have to thrash it all the time. I can still cruise around lazily, but now the performance I need for overtaking is there. Other than losing the valve-lifter (which never really worked anyway), there are no disadvantages to fitting this cam set. For anyone wanting to exploit the full performance of their AVL engine, these cams are a must.

By the way, I don't work for BW! I just like stuff that works, and these cams do.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 11:58:25 am by bedlam »

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 01:37:15 pm
Thanks for the positive comments, Bedlam!
 It was pure chance that after trying just about every type and combination of cams to hand whilst tuning an AVL that, having made little progress, I thought I might as well stick an old set that were lying around in to try. I had to just about pinch myself on the first ride, as it was a total transformation and, as you say, the cams alone will give a significant boost to the all round performance of these machines and would probably give the 'Classic' engines a shot in the arm, too.
 These cams are not fierce or lumpy, they just work very well.
 B.W.

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 01:59:17 pm
BW is awesome! I was talking to Basanti about the "S" Cams and I know how much happy he is with those cams! by the way.. in order to run these cams.. do I need to rebuild the lower end of the engine? I hear that lower end fails if they go above 6k rpm?

matthewjohnson480@gmail.c

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 09:42:53 pm
scince you have to remove the valve lifter?..can the AVL be  fitted withn a decompressor like the iron barrel?    sent P.M.,  I would like to have them...Matt in Phoenix

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 10:11:18 pm
Interesting to read the feedback, Bedlam.  How complicated is the install on these cams?
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 10:13:51 pm
Hi Matt,
 It looked workable to squeeze a decompressor in, but it would be tight for space and there is no passageway into the exhaust port for it to dump the compression into, so it would be tricky and possibly expensive to do.
 The cam people tell me it will be about 6 weeks from my placing an order until I recieve any cams.
 B.W.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 10:22:26 pm
Interesting to read the feedback, Bedlam.  How complicated is the install on these cams?
Hi Boggy,
 They are a straight swap for the old ones, but you have to loose the decompressor feature on the exhaust follower, to allow it to drop that bit further onto the smaller base circle of these cams. It is also neccessary to screw out the pushrod adjusters to take up this slack, which they usually do with no problems, but longer adjusters are available from Hitchcocks [and maybe from our hosts?], should they be required.
 B.W.

bedlam

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 12:40:36 am
If the circlip groove on the cam follower doesn't drop below the top of the valve guide with the new cams in (I forgot to check so I'll have a look tomorrow), there's a chance that you could turn up a new valve-lifter collar with the internal stop and the upper flange moved up to acommodate the new base-circle. That would be pretty easy to retro-fit and the valve lifter would then work as normal. If the groove does drop below the guide, then the guide would need a couple of millimetres machining off the top and that's a bigger job. Or you could cut a new circlip groove a bit higher up the follower, which sounds easy but won't be.

I wondered if the type of self-resetting decompressors used on Harleys might be easier to fit than a genuine RE one. Still a massive amount of machining to get through all those fins though.

To be honest, I don't really miss the valve lifter, as I never used it anyway - the stupid bendy plastic lever made sure of that. I did buy a very cool combined clutch / decompressor lever mount which is now a combined clutch / does nothing lever mount. Still looks cool though.

Mitch

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 02:33:07 pm
I would buy a set if available.  I have been to Bonneville last year and am going again.  I have a 2006 electra cafed out...  In the quest for speed.

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 04:05:24 pm
Good Luck Mitch! 'S' is your lucky charm for speed! :)

GreenRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 09:58:24 pm
Hi Matt,
 It looked workable to squeeze a decompressor in, but it would be tight for space and there is no passageway into the exhaust port for it to dump the compression into, so it would be tricky and possibly expensive to do.
 The cam people tell me it will be about 6 weeks from my placing an order until I recieve any cams.
 B.W.

As long as you dont use it to turn the engine off you will be fine.

Adrian

Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 06:58:15 pm
Just another testimonial, really: when I borrowed a (well used) set of Redditch original "S" cams from Bullet Whisperer they really did help my Electra-X find the missing revs which head porting, carb swaps and liberated exhaust systems didn't fully deliver, so I gladly ordered a set for the now nearly finished (no, really!) project.

BW, when you get enough interest I think you will have to quote prices in $ US, £ Sterling and Rupees given the membership of this forum... Nobody mention the Euro...

Regards,

Adrian

matthewjohnson480@gmail.c

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 06:27:29 pm
Hi Paul, previously said I wanted the cams; funds short, won't be able to send $ until around Christmas... just so you can plan...thanks, Matt in Phoenix