Author Topic: SoCal riders, Frazier Park ride  (Read 2224 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
on: May 29, 2012, 06:45:49 pm
Sunday, July 3, meet at the Flying J Service Station just off the I-5 at the Frazier Park exit, at 9AM
This is a BSA Owners Club ride,  and usually a pretty good one.
The Three Bulleteers (Jack, Steve and I) have not made up our minds as to whether or not we'll be there, as it's 100+ miles from our houses just to get there.
But, all are welcome.
I may go to the Huntington Beach Concours,as they usually have a lot of mice bikes there, including, last year,  a 1963 Husqvarna 500 Thumper World Champion Scrambles bike.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

n1acguy

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 08:34:09 am
Do you mean June 3rd?
Do you guys all have UCE bikes?
I"ve only had my iron barrel on the freeway for a couple exits. I'm afraid I'll cook it if I ride it on the freeway.
My 2¢ YMMV

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 09:50:20 pm
Oops, June 3rd, tomorrow.
Yeah, we have UCEs. I don't think we are going to make it, but I could still change my mind before morning.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 08:36:15 pm
I didn't make up my until the morning of, but I braved the daunting 110 mile ride up the World's crappiest excuse for a freeway (the I-5) to the Flying H truck stop and got there just minutes before the riders meeting.
I met a guy, Don, there who had recently acquired a 2012 B-5 and we decided to ride together. He has a been a lurker on the forum, but never signed up. He did recognize who I was by name from here, though.
Anyway, he was an old timer with extensive thumper experience and is currently rebuilding a Matchless Typhoon, one of the great rare ones! I almost bought one back in the day, but ended up with a BSA Spitfire Scrambler instead. Easier to start! There were a couple of dozen bikes there for the ride, so it was a decent turnout.
We went to the rider's meeting, then Don told me he was leaving "Now" because he didn't like riding in crowds. I can understand his attitude, so asked him if I could tag along. He said sure, and off we went. WE went through Lockwood Valley which is a nice road with a lot of twisties that were perfect for the Bullets. He asked me about the the water crossings and I told him I knew them well. It was uneventful, just a really fun ride. The big water crossing was one I knew intimately ;) ;), but it was a lot nicer than it used to be.
 We got to the 33, so I figured the route was going back up to the Frazier Park road to go back. We stopped a few miles up the road at a ranch where A guy was doing a BBQ for everyone. the rest of the pack started showing up 15 or 20 minutes after we got there. I talked to another guy who said he has a 2006 Bullet, so I asked him to bring it along and he could ride with us. We allowed iron barrels!
Anyway everyone started eating the BBQ that looked and smelled wonderful, but Don and I decided to pass because we're on diets. THen a few minutes later, he told me he was going back by Ojai, which was South and I said I'd go with him because I was getting short on gas as I didn't have time to fill up at the station where we met. I wasn't too sure where any stations were going north.
So we headed South down the 33. The road goes up over the Pine Mountains and is a bit tighter than Lockwood, continually twisting throughout the whole route. Passing zones are rare.
We caught a Kia Soul(?) starting up the mountain and he was doing his best to keep us behind him to the point of running a wheel off the road trying. It became obvious that he wasn't going to make it easy for us, so we took matters into our own hands and finally got by him. Neener Neener, You've just been passed by 19hp!
We continued on at a decent clip then after awhile a Vette came blasting up behind us and when we found a bit of a straightaway. He blew by us like we were parked and three or four miles down the road, we caught him again caught behind a flock of Hardleys. After a couple of miles, it became obvious that the Hardleys thought they were the King of the Road and weren't doing anyone any favors, either, so once again, we were left to our own methodology. Don found a spot and cleared them all very quickly, but I got stuck for a couple of corners, then had my chance. I blasted ;) past the Vette and a couple of Hardleys, but the number two guy was kinda hugging the center line and was being a Hardley guy. I finally got a bit of a chance to go and kinda eased him a bit farther over in the lane, and got by him and the leader. By this time, Don had about a half mile lead on me, and wasn't waiting, so I had to step it up a bit. It took me a couple of miles to catch him, but I was in my familiar spot following him at a comfortable distance. We got into Ojai and I got to the gas station with 212 miles on the bike since I'd filled up in the morning before I left. 3.016 gallons.  He asked me how I was going home and I told him over to Moorpark, which turns out to be where he lives, so he invited me over for a bit and show me his stuff. We went down some backstreets to the 150 over to Santa Paula, then familiar rods until we got near Moorpark, and he took me on some delightful back roads in the Moorpark neighborhood that I hadn't been on. It as a great ride
as we finished by going to his house and seeing the collection and haring a drink. We chatted a bit and he told me I as a pretty good rider as most people don't stay up with him. I told him, Thank you, and I know the feeling!
I departed and jumped on the 23 to Thousand Oaks where I as going to continue down to Mulholland and take that east, but it was getting late, so I jumped on the 101 and headed home.
The ride home was pretty nice as the weather had stayed pretty cool all day and the traffic wasn't bad. I only had to split lanes a couple of times for a couple of miles and at least it as still rolling. I passed a Hardlay bobber rider going through downtown LA. He had these ape hangers to heaven and and looked like he as hanging on for dear life. I looked at him as I went by and he didn't look like he was enjoying the ride to say the least. Never could understand
 those ape hanger contraptions. What are they supposed to accomplish?
When I got home, my wife asked me if I'd eaten and I said no, so she said, "I don't know what you're going to eat, there's nothing here." I said, "Dont' worry about it, I've always got something to eat."
So I drug a can of my Skyline Chili from it's secret stash and and fix myself a genuine Cincinatti 4-way and loved it. That stuff is soooo good!
She doesn't like it, so that suits me fine! I get it all! Have enough left to make me a Tulsa Coney Islander! My favorite dog.
Bare

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

n1acguy

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 06:48:28 am
Sounds like you had a good ride. There's a pretty cool cafe off Lockwood Valley Rd a few miles before you get to the 33.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7jiwWvfiew&list=FLRqZoO95iKFJjTb83sSoTsg&index=1&feature=plpp_video
This is a ride up 33 on my FJR. This would be a great road for the Bullet, but my iron barrel can't really do the freeway to get there.
My 2¢ YMMV

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 10:24:29 am
Thanks for the great write up Bare.

I can't believe all those Hardleys get left behind so easily. Although if it's twisty I guess I can!

lol

Well done.
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 03:19:05 pm
Bare: Pass up on some barbecue..Must be a serious diet...Cincinnati style chili sounds good enough...Just watched n1acup vid clip, sure is some nice riding out there...Not sure I could keep up with u either, you can put the miles om when u in the mood.
Oh Magoo you done it again

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 06:09:14 pm
That video is going up the mountain, which is a great road. That's where we were stuck behind the Kia for a few miles. Going down after this part is actually tighter where we encountered the Vette and Hardleys. It's a great road on either side though. Thanks for the video, n1acguy! I saw that cafe as we went by. I was wondering if it was any good or not. Out there, stuff is kinda few and far between. It was a little over 100 miles from the freeway stop where we met up to the BBQ site and back down to Ojai. There weren't any gas stations in there! And I hadn't filled up at hte freeway station,so it was starting a little bit dicey. I was trying to see if my fuel light was on, but the sun had that blocked out. I guess I'd better put an LED in that, too.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

n1acguy

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 05:23:57 am
That Cafe is an interesting place. Friendly folks.
Been through that area several times with a small group. Just FYI, there is regular 87 gas on Rte 166 in New Cayuma, not too far from where you were at.
I have to figure out a camera mount for the Bullet and take a ride up to Newcombs Ranch.
My 2¢ YMMV