Author Topic: What to do while inside the right side of my motor.  (Read 2409 times)

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
In the near future I will be changing out the front sprocket on my G5 for the next size up. I believe that goes from stock 17t to 18t, correct me if I am wrong please.  I figure that while I am in there I will need to and should do a couple of other things.  Things like change out the plastic pump gear.    The question I have is, what else should be done?  I am looking to gather the right parts for the sprocket job, parts such as the sprocket and gasket for the right side, a new chain, if I am doing the gear then I would need a new gear.  Come on y'all, what else should I spend money on?

Samgar
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 05:20:34 pm
With the 18T sprocket, get a quality ( DID,Tsubaki, etc) Oring chain. 102 links.
Be sure to have a 46mm(?) socket for the sprocket nut.
The gasket has basically been replaced by a gasket maker material such as the Permatex Gasket Maker, or High Tack Sealer.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 06:56:28 pm
So you are saying that I can make my own gasket?  A process I am not unfamiliar with by the way.  I suppose I could clone the gasket if it comes off fairly well.  I though O-ring would not fit the G5. 

Thank you
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 07:22:44 pm
If you read the instructions on the Permatex can, it will give you the procedure. It's pretty easy, but follow the instructions. It works well. The last time I ordered a case gasket from CMW, sealer is what they sent.
The Oring chain will fit a G5 if you have an 18 tooth or larger sprocket. The problem is with the 17T sprocket. An Oring chain will hit the bearing housing because of the smaller diameter of the sprocket.
As for the oil pump drive, I have no knowledge or opinion. My plastic one apparently still works.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 05:30:15 am
The oil pump gear is supposed to be changed at 10k miles, if I remember right.  A few people changed thier gear at that mileage but didn't see any wear.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 06:07:12 am
Ragmas:
You are correct.  Your G5 has a 17 tooth sprocket and you want a 18 tooth sprocket.
If your rear sprocket is in good condition IMO you do not need to change it.

Your chain size is a 530.  It currently has 101 links.  If you go to the 18 tooth sprocket a 102 link chain will work fine.
Nfieldgear sells a "10,000 Mile Lubrication Assurance Kit (EFI) for the new UCE engines.  It's shown on page 142 of the catalog.

It includes the needed gaskets, a oil filter, the nylon oil pup gear and retaining clip and the crankshaft oil seal that seals off the right end of the crankshaft where the oil supply jet is inserted.  It also has a new retaining clip for that seal.
The part number in my book is Z91602 and it is supposed to be good for all models of the 500cc UCE's.
I would recommend calling them directly at 1-800-358-0938 to make sure they understand what you want and to make sure I didn't give you the wrong part number.

IMO, there is a potential hazard with using no gasket and replacing it with some yucky pucky.
At the top of the sidecase just in front of the sprocket there is a rather small oil transfer hole that supplies oil from the filter cavity to the hydraulic valve lifters and to the upper rocker arms.
If the yucky pucky plugs up this small hole no oil will get to these critical parts.
IMO, the gasket with a very thin coating of joint sealing compound applied to both metal cases is a less risky option.

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 01:04:21 pm
Now we're talking Arizoni,  That would be the kit I need.  Now juat to add the front sprocket and I'm all set.  Sweet.  As for "while I'm in there". is there anything I should look out for, you know, surpises that I should be aware of in the right side?

Samgar
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 09:43:42 pm
I just ordered the 10k kit and it was back ordered, should be a week or so last I checked. The critical part of the kit is the seal for the end of the shaft.  How many miles do you have?  If its well under 10k I'd say do a visual inspection and if it all looks good just seal it back up. 

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 10:30:16 pm
Now we're talking Arizoni,  That would be the kit I need.  Now juat to add the front sprocket and I'm all set.  Sweet.  As for "while I'm in there". is there anything I should look out for, you know, surpises that I should be aware of in the right side?

@Samgar, I had opened the right side of crankcase at 14635 miles on the  odometer of my G5 and had changed the plastic pump gear and oil seal.  Both these parts were in fine condition at 14K miles. In retrospect, I did not need to change them but I already had the kit so I did it. They could have easily gone to 20K miles without any problem. That is just my observation on my bike.  r80rt had also done it and his C5 parts were also in perfect condition. It seems to me that the components are pretty good quality and last a long time. I will wait for another 20K before I think of changing them next time. But you do what you think is right or when to change.

If you decide to change them, post a note in this thread before you do that and we can discuss it further.

In the meantime, check this out -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNK9tfJ1_xc

« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 12:14:17 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 04:57:37 am
I don't think I'll bother with either until about 30k.  The gear looks tough and the oil seal could leak a bit and it wouldn't effect flow or pressure.  It would have to totally self destruct to make a difference, I would think.

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 01:47:30 pm
I'm thinking that I will buy the kit and change out the sprocket.  I will hold onto the gear until I need it.  The main reason for this whole thing is changing out the sprocket.  Singhg5, how is your cruising speed now that you have swapped out that sprocket?

Samgar
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

jmiller_2308

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 02:04:25 pm
I'm don't know about your model but going up one tooth on my 1999 Military was a great addition.  Lugging wise 4th is noticeably taller while 1st through 3rd it just shits a bit later mph wise.  I haven't had a chance to do miles on the highway but I suspect it will cruise much more comfortably at the same speed and will likely go a bit faster.

As for what to do while the case is open, be careful of shipwrights disease.  Adding a bigger drive sprocket was one of the main things I wanted to do when I tore down last November.  On the 1999 that means taking apart both sides of the engine so I figured I might as well do this, and that, oh, and while I'm there I better do this too.  Sigh, I'm just now getting the bike on the road except I have one more oil leak that I need one more seal for.

Jeff

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 04:24:28 pm
I'm thinking that I will buy the kit and change out the sprocket.  I will hold onto the gear until I need it.  The main reason for this whole thing is changing out the sprocket.  Singhg5, how is your cruising speed now that you have swapped out that sprocket?

+1 buy the kit and change sprocket.

The cruising speed is better by about 5 mph - but the max speed is still about 82 mph, that does not show any change. The biggest difference is that the bike accelerates faster, pick up is improved, keeps running in 4th gear even upto 50mph (on the speedo) without reving up the engine to high rpms, don't need to change gears up/down as much, turning improves, handles great. The ride is much more enjoyable. I vividly remember Maturin (of Germany) who said after changing sprocket something like "it does not just make noise in the 1st gear, the bike actually moves ;D".  Overall it is the best single improvement for the bike.

I wish I had done it sooner. Perhpas it is a good idea to do the break in of new engine with stock sprocket and after 2 or 3 oil changes, get the new bigger sprocket and cruise.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 04:38:50 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

bebopper

• Scooter
  • Military G-5
Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 06:16:37 pm
Use grease rather than sealant. Works great and you can reuse gaskets. Also, check to make sure the oil holes in the cover and case aren't plugged with sealant. If you're up for it, blow out the oil lines in the cover with air, and if you're really up for it, blow out the case lines also after disassembling the top end. It fits like legos so it's not that hard. After doing that and finding a huge sealant plug in the cover, all the clatter was gone from my top end.