Author Topic: Identifying the year of manufacture  (Read 2360 times)

Ratty-matty

• Scooter
on: May 25, 2012, 10:12:39 am
hey everyone iv got a old bullet 350 my  V5 ( registration document ) said it was imported into the UK in 1987 , is there anyway i can use the frame number and engine number to get the correct age of the bike ? if so where and how

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

Ratty-matty

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 09:54:28 am
cheers man =]

carlo

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 12:33:05 am
If it was imported to UK, it's very likely that it's a "modern" 350 Bullet.
Giving the REOC the engine and frame number may not do any good if it was made in India. I think they only have records for the UK made Enfields.

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 07:26:51 am
Not true.

Mine was a personal import 2 years ago.

REOC and the VMCC both dated it for me (long story).

The Indian records are incomplete it's true, but they were still able to dentify it as a 1979.

If it were a modern RE then it wouldn't have been worth the hassle to import as it would have had to have had Single Model Approval. Over 10 years old it doesn't have to have it.
May contain nuts.

Ratty-matty

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 10:36:59 pm
it was imported in 1987 and registered in 1988 and it hasnt got any matching features of bikes during those years of manufacture i can tell as it has the ingition in the tool box a no cassette headlight ( bin changed aswell as the other bits and bobs ) has magura levers yet they dont match and the wires have bin snipped to match the previous loom ! i have a royal frankinstine enfield haha

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 12:29:07 am
There is some enformation on numbers for the Madras/Chennai built machines. If it has a later style frame than the 1955 & earlier, it may not have been built in India. I'd have to have a number to work with and a picture is worth a whole lota numbers. If its a bitsa bike it could be a little more difficult to nail down.

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 07:57:13 am
Because of the way these bikes were not updated over the years there are a lot of ringers out there.

Our local RE OC man gets offers of such bikes each month. Usually by someones mum who has been asked by her son to dispose of the bike. I guess that way she doesn't have to answer leading qustions.
May contain nuts.

Ratty-matty

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 08:22:13 pm
this is a bitsa , its got parts iv not seen on any enfields , there are marks on the engine one says 1973 ( main crankcase ) 2202 on the gear box which im guessing are casting marks , ill put the frame number and pic up ASAP

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 09:14:18 am
Join the Midland Bullet Riders forum. What they don't know is not worth knowing.
May contain nuts.