Author Topic: Had a motorcycle cop follow me home yesterday...  (Read 2739 times)

dick_deck

• Scooter
on: May 23, 2012, 09:12:18 pm
Scared the crap out of me! I could not figure out what I had done wrong as I turned onto my street. Turns out he just wanted to see the bike!  ;D

Anyone else ever had their Royal get them into "trouble"?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 09:14:52 pm
Only with chatty old guys in the parking lot ;)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 12:07:38 am
I suspect that was the real reason I was pulled over once.

I had ridden up to Flagstaff on the more scenic slower route but when I got into Flagstaff I had to ride down I-17 about 15 miles to get to my destination.

I-17 has a 75 mph speed limit in that area so everyone is going at least 85 so, there I was, poking along at 70 in the outside (slow) lane with cars and giant trucks whizzing past me in the other two lanes.
That's when I see some flashing lights from a patrol car up ahead.

Not wanting to change into the fast lanes and become a grill ornament  l slowed down to about 55 mph and moved away from the edge of the road as far as I could while staying in my 'slow lane'.
That's where I was when I went by what turned out to be two patrol cars.

Soon after had I passed them and accelerated back up to 70 I glanced into my RVM to see if any 18 wheeler trucks were closing down on me and lo and behold!  There are the flashing blue lights right behind me.

There was an exit just ahead so I pulled off onto it and came to a stop.

The officer got out and walked forward as I removed my helmet.

After asking for my license and proof of insurance card he told me there is a law in Arizona that requires the drivers to move out of the outside lane any time they see a stopped patrol car with flashing lights.  I told him I never heard of that law but mentioned that I did slow down and moved as far to my left as possible without getting hit by the fast cars in the next lane.

He smiled and returned my paperwork and the next 20 minutes were spent talking about my motorcycle.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

bebopper

• Scooter
  • Military G-5
Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 02:52:01 am
Got stopped by USDA (Forest Service) for doing over 70 in a 55. "License, nice bike, how old?"!! No ticket. State Patrol showed up to have a look.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 03:03:02 am by bebopper »

BrashRooster

• Bulleteer
  • Yeah I stepped in it.
Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 04:37:44 am
 no trouble but I have had a few cops rubber necking as I went by. My neighbor is a county detective and I know he would like to confiscate my C5 to ride to work. He sat on it when I was at his house and he had that glimmer in his eye.
Signature

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 01:30:05 pm
I went to a bike night with a bunch of Harleys a couple weeks ago.  My RE C5 received the most attention.  I went to another bike night last night riding my KZ1000 Police model and again parked in the middle of some chromed out, shiney Harleys and despite the dirt and water spots still received some good comments.  As one of the guys said, "You can see Road Kings every day, but you seldom see an old Kawasaki (or Royal Enfield)."  People like to see something different.

dick_deck

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 03:19:57 pm
Arizoni... Arizona... How did I never make that connection!?

Arizona is a gorgeous state. I lived there for 3 years after college. It's definitely not for every nature enthusiast, but I do love only having to drive an hour out of Phoenix to feel like I'm in the middle of nowhere. Have you ever ridden up to Jerome? It's a long ride from Phoenix, and I never made it because my 86 Honda Magna was definitely not ready for the climb.

I took my black and chrome C5 to a Harley bike night. Nothing like showing up to a party where everyone is wearing the same suit in different colors while you have on something completely different! I'm also showing my bike in a company car show tomorrow, and trying not to get my hopes up about winning the most votes for the bike category.  ;)

I'm usually a background kind of person, so it's a bit of a personality shift to grab peoples attention like I do. Although I have started calling my bike "the rolling road show" and "the prettiest damn bike you'll ever see"! So maybe I'm getting used to it. It's getting harder to find a helmet for my ego! :P

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 11:39:26 pm
I've ridden the Phoenix> Prescott> Mingus Mountain> Jerome> Phoenix loop many times on my BMW K-75 but because much of it is on I-17 with its 75 mph speed limit with cars & trucks doing 85+,  I haven't ridden my G5 there yet.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 11:59:12 pm
Yeah RE are one of those bikes where you could ride around with a half naked 18 yo cheer leader on the back and people would ignore her and come over and ask questions about the bike.

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 08:14:25 am
Yeah RE are one of those bikes where you could ride around with a half naked 18 yo cheer leader on the back and people would ignore her and come over and ask questions about the bike.

I'd like to put that theory to the test, but I didn't see any of those in the accessory catalog.

dick_deck

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 04:25:38 pm
Ha! Very true. I was looking at pictures of old REs and saw one where a guy had a naked model on the seat posing it up. All I could think was "You're getting sweat and oil all over the seat and bike!" :P

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 04:42:02 pm
I'd like to put that theory to the test, but I didn't see any of those in the accessory catalog.

+1
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 07:27:22 pm

Backordered.  By the time the restock them they well be in their 60's and all saggy.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

trimleyman

• Bulleteer
  • 1953 or 2011.
Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 08:20:48 pm
Backordered.  By the time the restock them they well be in their 60's and all saggy.
You are most likely right there , unfortunately. Have not yet been  stopped by LEO but have had looks and a 'nice bike' more than once. Only been followed home once and that was from an Indian cab driver , who had had several of the old iron barrel models when he still lived in India. Think he might be getting his cash together to go visit Monroe Motors in SF.

Now 2011 Royal Enfield G5 and just added 2014 Continental GT and latest 2015 Ducati 803 Scrambler Urban Enduro
Then:-
1978 Ducati 900 GTES
1969 Ducati 350 Desmo Racer
1972 Mototrans Ducati 250 24 Horas
1965 Triumph Tiger Cub 200
1967 BSA Bantum