Author Topic: The strangest thing....  (Read 1347 times)

Mike_D

• Bulleteer
on: May 23, 2012, 02:40:22 am
So went over to my garage today to pick up some things.  While there I checked on the battery -- I had just charged it, hooked it up a few days before without testing it.  So I turned the bike on (turned the key, not started) and tried the indicators and "pwfffft!"  Sounded like the bike spit back through the Carb like a misfire.  WTF?  I wasn't trying to start it -- was just fiddling with the blinkers.  What could be going on here?  I have a 2003 BulletES with the ES removed....or that's what I was told when I purchased it.....No sign of the ES around but it seems to me this has something to do with it???  So strange.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 02:49:51 am
Strange indeed..Sounds to me more electrical in nature like something shorted..So did the signals work?..Did the bike start okay with the kickstart?..Not enough info to assist you or come up with a explanation or guess..
Oh Magoo you done it again

mustangdave

• Grease Monkey
  • ACES UP
Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 03:01:33 am
 ;)...ever heard of "Ghost in the Machine".....
I rode Japanese bikes as a kid...then I grew up and got some British Thunder

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 04:45:23 am
Sounds like the cylinder came to rest at TDC with a combustion charge in the cylinder. Turning the key on provided the juice to make the spark.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 01:28:37 am
NYC, Ice is on target. Mine has done this on several occassions over the years. My brother has an old R60/6 that does the same thing. It kind of catches you off gaurd when it happens. cochi

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 03:32:35 am
weird.i leave mine at tdc religiously when i park for the past 6 years  ..never experience what nyc21 has but that doesn't mean it hasn't happen...Sounds more logical vice the ghost scenario . :-\
Oh Magoo you done it again

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 07:37:22 pm
Yeah,that can happen.All we gotta do now is figure out how to make 'em start up like this.Why not?Model T Fords used to do it.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 11:12:58 pm
Turning the key on sends the same signal to the coil that the points do, so you get one spark. It's usually in some spot that's dormant and won't have any effect on the mixture, but occasionally it will be in a hot spot and you get the fart, as it were.
It doesn't happen often, but occasionally. I don't recall ever hearing of one starting, but I supposed it's possible.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Mike_D

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 12:02:51 am
Ha, Ha.  OK thanks for calming my fears guys.  Took it out today and ran great.  For whatever reason the bike seems to run better on rainy/humid days like this.  I love having a Bullet again!