Author Topic: Missing 5th gear?  (Read 19041 times)

BrashRooster

• Bulleteer
  • Yeah I stepped in it.
Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 05:04:25 am
usually when some one asks me what in the hell I am doing or was thinking I take that as being serious and quite offensive.
Signature

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 05:18:26 am
Well, I understand that. But in this case, as I said, he didn't mean it in an 'offensive' way. Plus, it was a legit 'what the hell' moment.

Oh well, it's done now. Moving on  :-\
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 06:48:10 am
OK.
BrashRooster:
I apologize for the offensive remark.
My reason for saying it the way I did was based on the explicit instructions given in the Owners Manual which basically say that 40 mph is the maximum speed for the first 300 miles and 50 mph is the maximum speed until the bike reaches 600 miles.

It seemed difficult for me to believe that anyone could have read this and then totally ignore it by running the new motorcycle at speeds of 60-70 mph.

I also think the Dealer should have made every possible effort to give you the Owners Manual and in the absence of that, at least told you that the first 600 miles should be ridden at low, easy speeds.

I'm sure you will agree that the fact that the motorcycle was a demo and was probably ridden without regard to the engines break needs in reality means that some extra care might be a good idea now to help it work thru the rest of its break in period?

Whether you accept my apology or not, the information I gave concerning the tire pressures and shifting still apply. :)

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 07:54:42 am
Don't sweat it Ariz. You weren't offensive.

If you ever think I'm doing something I shouldn't be doing you yell at me.
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 07:58:00 am
i don't think an apology is in order here. any thing mechanical and new requires a bit of care and some common sense!

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 03:15:36 pm
Peace n Love..Peace n Love... 8)
Oh Magoo you done it again

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 06:58:22 pm
Thanks guys.

I guess I should add that before I went off on a tangent and wrote my original post I was remembering that this Military is not the first "new" Royal Enfield  BrashRooster owned.
As some of you may recall he got a brand new B5 back in August, 2011 and ended up putting over 2000 miles on it before its  problems caused him to take it back to the dealer to fix it.
I took it for granted that the B5 and the C5 would have come with an Owners Manual describing the break in period.  I guess the original B5 didn't have a Manual with it either?

Anyway, let's ride on to jollier subjects. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

dick_deck

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 08:28:56 pm
I think I had someone 'sternly' advise me about the break in period too. It's apparently a very serious subject! :)
The problem I had was my dealer told me it was 50 miles... five zero. I was up to 400 by the time someone on the forum asked 'whiskey tango foxtrot!?'

At least I can report no serious problems yet from running 50-65 before the 600 mile mark.

It's also good to hear about the false neutrals going away after break in, as I keep finding them as well. I think my biggest one is 3rd to 4th gear. I always have to shift up to 5th, then back down to 4th. I can only shift down if I STOMP, and then it goes into 2nd.

And for the wobbles I am also trying the lower rear tire pressure trick. I had found that same topic a few weeks back. However, I haven't hit any substantial enough speeds since then to confirm.

Also, for pin ups I have attached my vote for reference! :)

BrashRooster

• Bulleteer
  • Yeah I stepped in it.
Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 11:43:06 pm
Thanks guys.

I guess I should add that before I went off on a tangent and wrote my original post I was remembering that this Military is not the first "new" Royal Enfield  BrashRooster owned.
As some of you may recall he got a brand new B5 back in August, 2011 and ended up putting over 2000 miles on it before its  problems caused him to take it back to the dealer to fix it.
I took it for granted that the B5 and the C5 would have come with an Owners Manual describing the break in period.  I guess the original B5 didn't have a Manual with it either?

Anyway, let's ride on to jollier subjects. :)

Maybe I am illiterate have you considered that?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 11:55:13 pm by BrashRooster »
Signature

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 11:55:06 pm
Actually, its very controversial, but some people claim long break-ins are a leftover from 1920's engineering and modern engines break in BETTER with harder work ...

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Personally I stick to the recommended break-in to avoid any warranty hassles but that website is well worth a read.

BrashRooster

• Bulleteer
  • Yeah I stepped in it.
Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 12:15:51 am
I wouldn't call how I ride my bike hard or hot roding. As to why the dealership forgot the manual idk but it was a rather hectic day for both of us.

I don't remember a damned thing about the break in from last year. Lets just say that the B5 is water under the bridge and leave it at that.  I will let you speculate all you want as to what was wrong with that bike, even if you think I was the trouble.

Good to know you are so concerned with my bike would you mine taking over the payments?

I came here with some questions and got information from several people with out any interjections of condemnation and I am truly appreciative of that. Thank you.
Signature

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 01:16:07 am
I wouldn't call how I ride my bike hard or hot roding. As to why the dealership forgot the manual idk but it was a rather hectic day for both of us.

If you are talking about a 2011 B5 he did not forget it.

There was no English language manual for the export B5 when it first came out so the bikes were originally sold without a manual. I did not get one with my bike either.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 01:18:48 am by GlennF »

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #27 on: May 23, 2012, 07:45:40 am
When I rebuilt the top end of mine at Christmas I took it easy, but not too easy.  Down hills let her have her head. Up hills don't lug (as you chaps call it).

Rev through the gears but don't over load or rev to high, don't keep at a constant speed, and don't over heat.

BUT how do you tell someone else what those feelings are when to change?

???

Now Brooster, about riding in shoes...

;D

No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #28 on: May 24, 2012, 02:49:43 am
1. Pin-up girl on cover = NOT tacky
2. Almost always the shifting trouble is operator induced. It doesn't make anyone stupid or a poor rider. You have to shift the bike firmly and thoroughly. It has a long throw. Shoes absolutely make a difference especially new boots or heavy shoes. We have had more than one bike where the owner has sworn it falls out of gear and misses shifts. When we put that person on a "known to never miss a shift" bike it starts missing shifts. Then we ride the customers bike and find we can't make it miss a shift.

By now most of us are used to Japanese bikes where to just click the shifter to shift it. The RE takes a real shift. They also do get a lot better in terms of smoothness etc. as they break in...or do we just get better with them?
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

BrashRooster

• Bulleteer
  • Yeah I stepped in it.
Reply #29 on: May 24, 2012, 04:08:03 am
I wore some boots today because soon as I got out of the tractor I went over to my friends to check out a helmet he painted for me.  Well I never missed a single shift. I use to always where boots or some kinda heavy shoe when riding but recently I got into the habit of wearing my comfy shoes. Looking back I think I had troubles with a pair of Vans and my little 250 Rebel.

I am thinking the 19 inch front tire might be the way to go but I would wait at least until it was time to get new ones. Not sure about that either just because I have my XJ650 if I want to hop on the highway. I spend most of my riding time on 2 lane when I travel at 55-60mph which is a whole lot funner on the C5! I live out in the country with some crappy roads I rather like the way the C5 handles versus the XJ650 at low speeds for maneuvering around obstacles such as pot holes. My XJ650 is shaft driven but honestly I think the C5 is a smoother ride (although my XJ now needs new rear shocks, only lasted 30 years sheesh lol). Hmmm oh the mpg on the XJ650 is 52 and I think I was getting about 80mpg on the C5.  Maybe I should just sell the XJ and buy the front wheel? Spend the rest of the money getting some pin up girls painted.   ;D   

The preacher from church and the deacon rode out to the farm today and both of them had a fit over the C5. 

oh and the C5 is a whole hell of a lot more comfortable then my 1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim and I had the seat re-done.  First bike with a stock seat that didn't make me squirm after 20 miles. Plus no leg cramps or arm aches. Yeah I think that the Maxims days are numbered.
Signature