Author Topic: thinking of buying a RE...hoping for input from lady riders.  (Read 2702 times)

skweezal

• Neophyte
I currently ride a vintage honda (1967) but just dont feel comfy taking it on long trips due to possible mechanical issues.  I am looking to getting something else and the RE line caught my eye. Any small lady riders who can give me some feedback or insight on what they like or dont like about their RE.
Thanks!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Well, hopefully Snowkid03 will post her thoughts on her Royal Enfield.

In the post linked below you can read some of her (and our) thoughts when she was shopping.
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,13950.0.html

Based on her posts, she is fairly short so she should be able to give you some good information.

The last I saw she had a battery problem but this is not common and the UCE bikes are proving themselves to be quite reliable if they are taken care of.

Whether a Royal Enfield is the best bike for you will depend a lot on where you want to ride and how you ride.

The new Unit Construction Engine models (UCE) made after 2009 are basically 1955 style motorcycles with updated fuel injected 2009 engines in them.

Like the old 1950 bikes, horsepower is somewhat limited so the top speed is only a little over 80 mph.  Also like the old 1950 singles they have a lot of engine torque so they accelerate quite rapidly if asked to.

Their handling is quite responsive to steering input making them much easier to ride than the heavy cruisers.

They do take some looking after with things like lubricating the chain and changing the oil and filter.  If you haven't done these kinds of things, no fear.  The forum folks can help you with almost anything you might need to know.

I don't want to talk you into something you aren't prepared for so I will add that if you want a 100 percent reliable, never have to do anything to it, high powered motorcycle the Royal Enfield probably isn't for you.

If you are willing to do a little maintenance and want a lower powered motorcycle that draws attention wherever it goes the new Royal Enfields are probably just what you are looking for. 

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
If you think a Honda is too unreliable I don't think an Enfield is your answer.
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Hi skweezal and welcome aboard.

If your concerned about the weight of the bike, Bullets weigh a lot less than Harley's. Here are a couple links to videos of how to pick up a fallen Harley. (there are dozens of videos)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRtC5HzYrHk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVb0QDJwWBY&feature=related

You might send a site message to Snowkid03 as she is our newest forum sister and proud owner of a new UCE Bullet. She would have some valuable insights to share.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
 I have to tell you these things can be habit forming  ;D and there is nothing else like them available anywhere. The looks are right nice. That is a charm but it is the riding qualities that get you :D. These bikes just go exactly where you look or point them, effortless with no fuss or worry ( classic Britt bike handling  ;) )

I'll skip the history ( that'll take six pages ) but suffice it to say the basic frame was laid out in '47 and has always given great handling both on road and off and has collected buckets of medals and trophy's in competitions from cross country to road racing from then on and continues to do so.

I would like to quote brother scooterbob

"I prefer to think of the RE as the ANTI-NICHE market bike. It's NOT a cruiser (niche) or a sport bike (niche) or an adventure touring bike (niche) or a touring bike (niche) or some wanna-be repop nostalgia-alike retro ride (NICHE!) - the RE is just a motorcycle! A blank slate, if you will, that can appeal to many people - not just a "certain" group. Think about it ....."

« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 07:18:53 pm by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
It is certainly a unique machine now. And a collection of paradoxes.

I find myself talking to people about it and how it is so suitable for English lanes and other stuff is more suitable for say, continental touring. And yet there was never a more perfect bike for continental touring! Touring means seeing and smelling a place. Not an equivalent to a high speed train!

It's not a sports bike. But what better to push the limits on? A Ducati may sound better on paper, but who can push the boundaries when riding a Ducati for every day use?

And so it goes on...
May contain nuts.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
I think one of the new Bullets is perfect for women riders who aren't looking for a sport bike, or a super-tall touring bike. I'm 5'8" and I'm very very comfortable on my Bullet.  My wife is 1 or 2 inches shorter and also feels sure footed on it.  I know that the dealer here in Somerville, Massachusetts has sold a great deal of the new Enfields to women.

If you plan on lots of freeway touring at 65+ miles per hour then this is just not ideal. Sub 65 touring and I think you would find it to be perfect.  Not to many machines out there that are MEANT to ride at 35-65.  Those new tourers start getting warmed up at 65 it seems.  And the MPG cannot be beat!

The weight of the bike feels great. For back road riding its such a joy.  The older Enfields are wrench turners but from what I hear, here, the new bikes are really reliable machines and fit for travel.

Lots and lots of options to buy straight from the NField parts store to make your bike unique and equipped for traveling.  Plan an extra 20 minutes at every stop you make to allow the looky-loos to check out your ride.  These bikes get attention like no others do.

Good luck.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

bikerboo

• Scooter
  • 2011 Classic
Hi,as a Classic owning lady rider have never understood why there are not more women riding these lovely Enfields.They are light,responsive and you ride them not the other way round.And if by any chance you do drop it you can pick it up again.Am 5' 8" and 140 pounds so am not the smallest girlie but find seat position ideal.Despite a few teething problems,I love mine to bits,I have a grin from ear to ear when I'm out and about.Buy one and you won't regret it.Its a great way to make new friends.Boo.
Adventure before dementia

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Nice wet nose you have there Boo.
 :-*
May contain nuts.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
If you think a Honda is too unreliable I don't think an Enfield is your answer.

Hey, hey.  That's my job to say!!!  You're supposed to say how rock-solid reliable Bullets are unless you've tried to make them "better" somehow, or failed to maintain them.

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Any small lady riders who can give me some feedback or insight on what they like or dont like about their RE.

I've ridden a few small ladies... Does that count?

But seriously, what you need to think about is your current and future riding styles. These bikes will happily run at 55/65 all day long, but ones butt may get numb after an hour in the saddle. I use my bike primarily as a commuter  (60 miles each way to and from work) and as a light touring bike. Although I was able to get it up to a few yards per hour short of 100mph its not made for that and longevity may suffer. With over 13000 km's on my stock C5 I have had no breakdowns, save for a fouled spark plug. It seems to be hit and miss about reliability with these bikes. Those that have trouble free bikes rarely are posting on Web boards so you don't hear about those bikes, just the ones with problems. (some of them are self induced buy tinkering to make it better only to bugger it up elsewhere.) Yes there are bikes that could be classed as lemons, Friday afternoon builds before a long weekend etc, you get the same from every manufacturer, but if you buy from a reputable dealer, much of the assembly line hijinx will be corrected during a thorough pre delivery inspection.

Nice and light, nimble and easy to ride. These bikes are real head turners when riding them as they were designed to be ridden.

You didn't mention the size of the 1967 Honda you have, but I'm assuming its 450cc's and under. The Royal Enfield line will be just fine in the engine department for power for you.

Hope to see you on the roads soon on a Royal Enfield.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 05:07:42 pm by Desi Bike »
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Alright,.. way to go fellas.
 I think you freighted Ms. Skeezal away.
Maybe a new Honda maxi scooter? :o

I think you would enjoy riding a Royal Enfield. I have had very few problems with my 2008 AVL engine Bullet. The new Royal Enfields come with the new UCE engine, which is a BIG IMPROVEMENT.  The bike just "feels good" and is a joy to ride. But you didn't ask me, I'm a man .

2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Hey, hey.  That's my job to say!!!  You're supposed to say how rock-solid reliable Bullets are unless you've tried to make them "better" somehow, or failed to maintain them.

;D
May contain nuts.