Author Topic: Designing an ammo-box luggage system for the C5 Military  (Read 12235 times)

Weltlich

• Scooter
I picked up my C5 military from the dealership about three weeks ago now, and I'm loving it.  It runs great, I rolled over 300 miles yesterday, and it's going in for it's first service in about a week and a half.  To top it all off, I just graduated and I have some time on my hands.  So, I'm thinking, "what can I do to it now?"

If I had one gripe, it's that the bike is lacking in good "hard-points" to tie down or strap on luggage.  Checking the gear websites, and it's tough to find something that is both functional, and fits with the military "look."  The saddle-bags are nice, but I've got issues both with their look, size, and price.  Here's what I want:

- A luggage frame that clamps on snugly without marring the paint, instead of having to drill/weld it to the bikes frame.
- A top "rack" that a small duffelbag or some-such can be attached to with some straps or bungee cords.
- A bracket system on the side of the luggage frame that can allow for the use of surplus ammo-cans for side storage.
-The side storage must be attached securely, but allow for some sort of easy on/off so that they can be unattached and carried inside with minimal fuss.
-It doesn't have to carry hundreds of pounds, but it should make running out to get groceries easier, or carry enough clothing, etc. for a long weekend.

For now, I'm thinking tubular steel construction using as much off-the-shelf hardware as I can.  Here's my basic imagining of it, as brought to life by the wonders of MS Paint.  The perspective is atrocious, but until I have time to sit down and draft up actual plans, this will have to do to get my gist across.  I'll try and post them as I go through the process, but they'll probably be photos or scans of old-school graph-paper and pencil drafts.

Color code -
Black/Light Blue - Tubular framing
Yellow - "T" connectors
Red - Elbow joints
Dark Blue - Luggage frame to Bike frame connectors
Green - Luggage Brackets system

As you can see, for now the system is primarily going to be attached to the metal strut that forms part of the rear-fender assembly.  My sticking point as of now is researching what kind of attachment system or clamps I can use to fit the luggage frame to the bike frame.

If anyone has any advice, I'm all ears!

quickedit: And if something like this is already commercially available, let me know.  I looked around and haven't been able to find any.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 08:27:02 pm by Weltlich »

john hut

• John Hut
  • Scooter
  • EFI Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 09:22:01 pm
Gerry cans modified with a hinged top might fit in well,,,just a thought...
John Electra Deluxe Efi

Ayers Garage

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 01:40:15 am
When I built my rack, I picked up the upper shock mounts as one point and built vertical legs that fit onto the rear subframe. They have saddles at the bottom with clamps. That way it's all removable with ease. I also have some hard side boxes that I need to build mounts for.

Royal Enfield. Speed limits aren't a restriction to me, they're a goal !

Weltlich

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 02:34:32 am
That is ingenious!

Out of curiosity, did you manufacture the saddle clamps yourself, or were they something you adapted to fit the build?

Ayers Garage

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 02:43:17 am
I used little pieces of 3/4 inch wide steel channel to sit atop the frame. To each side leg of the channel, I welded a stud that sticks down. That way the channel sits on the subframe rail like a saddle with two threaded studs extending downward. Then on the bottom, I made little flat plates with two holes in them for the studs to pass through with nuts holding it all snug.
Royal Enfield. Speed limits aren't a restriction to me, they're a goal !

Weltlich

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 03:49:09 am
Very interesting.  I'd intended to DIY this project, but seeing how nice yours turned out has me thinking that I need to go down and talk to the local machine shop.  I'll post more as things develop.

idk

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 03:04:07 am
I have a G5 Military and I used the stock saddle bag brackets from RE. I then used a couple of U-bolts to attach the ammo cans to the bike. The downside is that they are not easily removable, but the plus side is that they look exactly right on the bike.

You may be able to use something like Ghost Brackets to attach the bags, but I am not sure how solid the mud guard would be for that setup. Another alternative (which I considered) is to attach some square channel bracket to the ammo boxes which would fit onto the RE saddlebag brackets. Careful positioning would prevent the ammo cans from moving forwards or backwards, and a simple leaf spring setup would prevent them from lifting up and off too easily.

btw, I got my ammo cans from http://armynavysuperstores.com/surplus.htm
Ego iustus volo meus motorcycle equitare

kingrock

• Scooter
  • 2010 c5 military/ The green Goddess
Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 03:22:17 am
did mine with 40MM ammo cans.

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 07:18:13 am
Those boxes look great.  Can you post a picture of your mounting system?

wokka

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 10:39:31 am
I need to check where he got them, I know they were'nt built, because the guy who's bike it's on wouldn't know one end of a hammer from the other

wokka

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 10:42:23 am
That was quick,

They were modified by the Dubai RE dealer, from hitchcocks in the UK.
Part number 92570

vageesh79

• Neophyte
Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 03:26:57 pm
Have anyone fitted the small ammo box http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/images/product/main/AMMO-BOX-US-SMALL.jpg like this.I need help with brackets

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 05:50:46 pm
Go to your local army navy store and see what they have. I've seen some canvas fanny packs that are just about the right size for the Enfield. I'm also thinking of getting the tank bag that RE Gear has on there site for like $60. It's magnet mounted and has the logo on. It doesn't get any easier than magnets for quick removal and it looks good to boot!
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 09:26:46 pm
Here's what I did on Sherman -

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=3339

I cut the straps and riveted them over the rails.  They aren't coming off!  Used corrugated sign board inside so they hold their shape (I did that after this picture).

Got the bags here -
http://www.armysurplusworld.com/product.asp?ProductID=17943

Total cost was about $30 bucks!

Mike & Stumpy & Sherman in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

rav

• Scooter

kingrock

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 03:46:11 am
Not the best pics on the mounts. But, should give some idea.

Weltlich

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 03:50:42 am
That's a really nice mounting system.  What sort of bar did you use for it and how did you do the bending?

kingrock

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 01:44:46 am
1/8 x1 inch mild steel. The home depot had it. Did the bending on a brake at work. SS bolts and lock nuts. Didn't' want it vibrating off. Used shaft collars on the fender side of the mount. With loctite to hold. Painted with krylon camo.