Author Topic: Commuter Riding Gear  (Read 7108 times)

MOKAN-BULLET

• Bulleteer
on: May 07, 2008, 05:58:41 pm
We are having a few spring showers here so I have drining into work the last couple of days. I fill edup my truck last night the fill up was $90  :'(

I looking to be come a fulling bullet commuter.

What's the best cummuter riding gear?

I work in an office where the dress code is just shy of jacket and tie.

bobblehead76

• rider in north carolina
  • Scooter
  • 08 Military
Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 07:50:37 pm
 Don't get cheap on rain gear . The cheap stuff rips in the wind. and keep the gear in a back pack not on your bike that way you don't get wet getting it.
Bobblehead76

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 08:10:11 pm
What's the best cummuter riding gear?

Try this link. Very good stuff, but you will pay for it.: [url][url]
OK I don't know how to insert link. Copy and paste this: www.aerostich.com/

It's cool, warm and dry. Understand these are relative terms.

Phil

MOKAN-BULLET

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 08:44:30 pm
Do you own a riding sute from them or pants and Jacket?

teckhardt

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 08:58:03 pm
I have a 'Stich Darien jacket and pants that I wear to commute to work.  Easy to get in and out of.  Warm and dry when I get there.  Recommend it.

And with the Falstaff, you can even get the retro look...

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 09:03:56 pm
Pants and Jacket, ( Darien ) sp?. While I think one should always wear protective gear, blahbhlah....Sometimes I leave off the pants. And where I live, summers can get very hot. So I have a mesh ridding jacket. On a trip regardless of weather, I wear the Darien.

Phil

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 09:36:59 pm
If you have a place to store it, the full length Roadcrafter in either red or lime green is the way to go as, if it's sized right, it'll go on in a minute right over a suit and tie with no trouble.  Off at the same speed... It's waterproof too if properly cared for--a big plus on 'some' occasions!
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

MOKAN-BULLET

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 12:26:10 am
convincing my wife on the price tag is going to be hard but I like the riding suit I commute at 9 pm and 6 am so the Hi Vis is appealing

geoffbaker

Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 12:31:43 am
If you're looking for riding gear thats good for rain, then go to the Brits... they understand rain.

Barbour and Belstaff have been making classic, awesomely practical, warm, stunningly waterproof gear for a very long time now.

It aint cheap tho...

My jacket is 30 years old and still warm and waterproof. I may have to have it rewaxed soon though...

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 04:06:14 pm
My wife bought me a waxed coat. I really didn't want it and scoffed at it. Then I wore it on a cold day with rain, drizzle and sleet. That is the best coat I have ever owned - period
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 04:27:13 pm
I have had good luck with the Joe Rocket Mesh jacket and pants. The jacket has a removable liner that is water 'proof'. the pants don't have a liner so I use a light set of rain gear, jacket and pants, I bought at an army surplus store. I bought them large enough to go over the mesh gear. the jacket then is double water resistant, pants only one layer of resistance. Total cost: $250.00 US and still in good shape after 5 years and one low speed road test.
jim
BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 05:23:24 pm
For those of you who don't know Jim, he is absolutely hard-core when it comes to riding. He rides his bike to work on days none of the rest of us would consider it. I take his advice about weather gear very seriously.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 07:48:34 am
First, this will cost you. Second, you will never have to buy another. FILSON, made in America, Seattle Washington. Since the gold rush days. When people  make their living outdoors and their lives depend on clothing, FILSON is the brand you bet your life on.  Waxed, Heavy duty canvas. No Compromises This may sound like I am in some way attached to them. I am not. They are the hands down best outdoor clothing I have worn in my 35 years of living in the NorthWest. I highly recommend them if you are looking for materials other than leather. 

MOKAN-BULLET

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 11:44:49 pm
I pulled the trigger on a Arostich Falstaff even bought the silk scarf I'll be the the spitting image of Steve McQueen when I pull into the Rally on the river ;D

I really like this Jacket http://www.cissburyleathers.co.uk/belstaff-new-tourist-trophey-i346.html but I could not find a US retailer. I don't think GW wants me to send stimulus check to the UK.

jeep44

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 08:03:01 pm
Filson-I have loads of that stuff! The klondike jacket,Tin cloth Field Jacket, the wool mac, the wool bomber, etc,etc-I love that stuff, but I hadn't really considered it for riding gear. I do wear the wool field jacket liner under my Barbour in cold weather,though.
Bulletist and Uraleer! 

2007 Classic Deluxe
1997 Ural Tourist
bunch of other Brit. and US bikes