Author Topic: responsible, practical, and economical muffler replacement  (Read 4837 times)

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
I ride my Bullet on the beltway to work & back (weather permitting) and was getting embarrassed by the funky colors the old torpedo was turning.
--SO--
after doing a bit of research and scrounging, I have come up with what I believe to be a responsible and practical muffler replacement.
--------
I recon a 500cc single is about equal to half of a Harley engine.   And, alot of the Harley riders here in the upper midwest like to toss out the stock mufflers (first chance they get).  So, I started combing through the cast-offs at the local Hog dealer.
--------
I settled on a soft-tail reverse megaphone ** WITH A CATALYTIC CONVERTER **
Yes, call me a greenie ... but, some of my friends work at the D.O.T. .... so, I figured I wouldn't be able to get away without at least attempting to do it right...
--------
I was rewarded with a slick install (even got to use the stock Bullet muffer mounting tabs).
---------
the attached pics show - the stock muffler after 500 miles, the Harley muffler after 1000 miles, and a fuzzy closeup of the mounting brackets.

1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Very nice! How does it sound, and any details on cost/etc. would be great!

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Very nice! How does it sound, and any details on cost/etc. would be great!

GSS

The sound is very near stock.....  I *think* it might be barking a little more under heavy acceleration ~ but, it seems to be within 2db to my un-trained ear.

As for cost .... I got the "used" muffler for $20 (it was taken off of a new bike before final delivery to the buyer).  The only additional cost was $8 for a set of EMGO adapters.  The pipe needed a .040 shim to allow the Harley muffler to clamp down on it. 
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Looks good.

I've been toying around with the same idea but I haven't gotten around to visiting the local Harley dealers yet.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Sort of suits the B5 as well.

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
  • Commute Time is Not the Worst Time of Day
I like it... good job! And thanks for posting.
Chinese food beats hopes and dreams any day.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Looks good.

I've been toying around with the same idea but I haven't gotten around to visiting the local Harley dealers yet.

In a word,  eBay.     ;)

1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Gremlin, Woud you be able to post the part number off the muffler, or at least which year and model of Harley soft tail this came from. I think I might try to find one as well. Thanks.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Perfectly fine idea.
The Iron Barrel Bullet owners have been using Harley mufflers for years.
The Iron Barrel has a 1.75" O.D. pipe, just like a Harley, so the Harley muffler slips right on them without even needing an adapter shim.

I never used one with a cataclysmic converter :o in it, but if you need that for your location, hopefully it won't be too restrictive.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
I used a "vintage" Harley muffler on my '06 Deluxe - I think it was about $60.00 from JC Whitney... and I got really frugal on my '10 Military... used an Allis-Chalmers tractor muffler from Farm and Home... $26.00 bucks...!!! 

No green stuff in them, though... ;)
Mike and Stumpy and Sherman in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

john hut

• John Hut
  • Scooter
  • EFI Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 09:25:56 pm
any of you guys in the UK know the MOT rules regarding no catalytic converter on a machine that had one fitted as standard..........
The reason I ask is that the first year imports of the new EFI engine (2009) are now coming up to test time and many fitted with after market silencers,,,mine included,, its easy enough to change back to standard if need be,but I would rather keep my Goldie silencer
if possible
John Electra Deluxe Efi

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 08:33:42 am
The law for cars changed this year. If it had a cat fitted as standard when new it has to have one now.

I have no idea if bike Mot's are the same.

Probably.
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 12:26:59 pm
Looks great. I've had wonderful results using the HD mufflers on CB 350-360's...great sound for that old engine! I worry that it'll mess up the EFI on my 09 G5...
In other news..I had my exhaust gasket fail on my '09, actually  think it was a failure from the factory really as  never noticed it putt-putting from new..and I chalked the unusual sound to it being a thumper..anyway..the dealer commented on it and I checked out out..YEP..leaking. Ordered 2 new ones, but in the meantime I stuck a Honda metal one in there..had to cut out about a quarter inch to get it to fit but so far so good.!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 11:11:43 pm
The reason I ask is that the first year imports of the new EFI engine (2009) are now coming up to test time and many fitted with after market silencers,,,mine included,, its easy enough to change back to standard if need be,but I would rather keep my Goldie silencer
if possible

Put the stock one for the test, then put the Goldie back on. That'll be an hour of your life that you'll never get back! :'(
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 11:29:28 pm
I guess I'll add to this, since Gremlin brought it to our attention.

Muffler replacement: I assume that the EFI silencer sold by NFG and Hitchcocks doesn't have a catalytic converter.  Is this so?

Hitchcocks says it's only for the EFI bikes - is that because it won't work with the carb bikes, or because the other mufflers won't work with EFI bikes - or both?  Does this make sense?

Without the cat. conv., what effects occur to the bike, re. speed, power, noise, and pollution?  What about engine longevity?